Musicals are rubbish

waters44

• Paid Members

Most of the Lloyd-Webber ones from the 80s were off their heads. "Starlight Express", "Joseph and his Amazing Technicolour Coat", "Cats". I'll forgive him about "Chess" because most of ABBA wrote that, and it could easily be turned into a film. "Phantom of the Opera" was class though.

Edited by bAzTNM#1

• Paid Members

I watched Hamilton last night. It is very good for around 90 minutes but the problem is it's 2 hours 40 minutes long. Definitely overstays its welcome.

I'm interested in seeing a proper film version of it but also have no idea how it wouldn't be rubbish.

On 7/9/2020 at 6:46 PM, KingofSports said:

I enjoyed the original album recording of Jesus Christ Superstar, the proceeds from which (unfortunately) funded the stage musical. The part of Jesus was originally sung by Ian Gillan (Deep Purple, Gillan etc), at a time when his voice was simply amazing...he later went on to destroy it. Yvonne Elliman also sung on the original album & was cast in the stage version. The part of Judas, on the album version was played by one Paul Gadd, who later became a prolific, high-profile paedophile. Lovely stuff. Stage musicals can fuck right off.

My favourite track from JCS. Didn't know there was some footage to go with it, albeit out of sync. Awesome vocal performance.

• 5 months later...
  • Paid Members
40 minutes ago, scratchdj said:

Cats is phenomenal and I won’t accept any argument to the contrary. Seen it live 4 times and it really is superb, although the newer version with the updated Rum Tum Tugger isn’t an improvement.

Cats,  the animals, are shit. Webber has some truly awful musicals under his belt. If you think I’m watching some actors pretend to be cats singing Lloyd Webber for 2 hours, you got another thing coming.  And I do like musicals.

• Moderators
2 hours ago, Keith Houchen said:

Even I haven’t watched Cats. If that isn’t a damning indictment I don’t know what is. 

He's talking about the stage show rather than the movie, which is at least 40% more acceptable an opinion.

Edit: you're welcome, Devon. I can't pretend I put much thought into the title when I split a thread out though I have to say.

Edited by Chest Rockwell

3 minutes ago, Chest Rockwell said:

He's talking about the stage show rather than the movie, which is at least 40% more acceptable an opinion.

The film is better than the stage show. I’ve seen neither but I’m right. 

• Awards Moderator
49 minutes ago, gmoney said:

Even the people I know who are into musicals think Cats is shit, the stage version especially. I'm not watching anything with a character called Rum Tum Tugger. 

I have seen both. We went to the stage show in Newcastle for my sister’s birthday once, and it starts with the cats prowling through the audience to interact with people which is absolutely terrifying and I wouldn’t have gone if I’d known they did that, even if you’re in the cheap seats at the top there’s no escape. I spent most of it wondering when the story started (it doesn’t) but there was one background cat who, if she hadn’t been a cat, might have looked a bit like Stacy Keibler and she got me through it.

The film version is awful and a whole other level of weird, but these things made it loads of fun to watch. We laughed a lot, and I wouldn’t be surprised if it ends up repurposed as a The Room-style late night cult screening kind of movie.

(Having listened to The Worst Idea Of All Time podcast’s ‘My Week With Cats’ series where they went to see it every day for a week helped with entertainment value.)

Both versions are very far away from my kind of thing but I’d watch the film again over the stage show.