Musicals are rubbish

waters44

• Paid Members
3 minutes ago, PowerButchi said:

Jesus Christ Superstar is worth it just for the bass singer in the "Jesus Must Die" song.

I watched the JCS with Tim Minchin as Judas and thought it was excellent. 

Book of Mormon is on my list to see but it's so expensive

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, Nexus said:

I watched the JCS with Tim Minchin as Judas and thought it was excellent. 

Book of Mormon is on my list to see but it's so expensive

When it was running they did a daily lottery where you can turn up to the theatre and put your name in for very cheap tickets in the front 2 rows. It's a lot of seats so most people (myself included) got one. Worth a try if you are in the area for sure.

3 hours ago, LaGoosh said:

I disagree but definitely think Hamilton is shite. If you're going to have a musical where 70% of the songs are rap, perhaps hire some fucking rappers who can make it actually sound good.

Interesting.

You'd rather have rappers who can rap well, rather than actors who act well?*

For me, I'm watching a musical knowing full well what I'm getting. I'm watching a theatre piece and don't need it to be perfect. I mentioned it in the Disney thread, but I usually cringe when hip hop is bought into the mainstream like this as it STILL gets the "Lol, rapping in a musical! How quaint" treatment, but I thought Hamilton was done well.

*Well aware the two are not mutually exclusive.

9 minutes ago, SuperBacon said:

I'm watching a theatre piece

Just because it’s in a theatre doesn’t make it a theatre piece. Musicals are indeed the absolute worst but the worst of the worst are those ones that cash in on existing songs and invent some shore story to tie them all together. At least the ones with original songs make the effort but they’re still shite, Rocky Horror included. 

I  think the musicals I've enjoyed have been comedies. THE PRODUCERS and BOOK OF MORMON being the standout. The rest I really can take and leave. JERSEY BOYS was good fun, but that's a rare thing of the true story being fascinating and the songs being great.

JCS is a better album than musical. The songs are pretty great but fuck me I hate the musical. HAMILTON was ok. I still think there's a 'OH I LIKE IT I'M HIP' thing going around about it.

1 hour ago, Keith Houchen said:

Just because it’s in a theatre doesn’t make it a theatre piece.

Yeah, sorry, I meant musical. Semantics.

19 minutes ago, Factotum said:

I still think there's a 'OH I LIKE IT I'M HIP' thing going around about it.

You think people are admitting to liking a musical to appear 'hip'?homer simpson episode 24 GIF

1 minute ago, SuperBacon said:

You think people are admitting to liking a musical to appear 'hip'?

I do with this one yeah. You could say...it's my...unpopular opinion ;) (I slapped myself don't worry)

No doubt a lot DO like it, but there's a cynical part of me that think there's a lot of people trying very hard to claim they love it.

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, SuperBacon said:

Interesting.

You'd rather have rappers who can rap well, rather than actors who act well?*

For me, I'm watching a musical knowing full well what I'm getting. I'm watching a theatre piece and don't need it to be perfect.

If the songs are rap songs I would rather they were performed by rappers who can rap rather than singers who are very bad at rap, yes.

And fuck that "don't need it to be perfect" noise. Do you know how expensive Hamilton tickets are?! If I had spent the price of a weekend away somewhere to see it live and sat through 3 hours of classically trained musical theatre actors put on that amateur rap shite I would have been absolutely fuming.

14 minutes ago, LaGoosh said:

If the songs are rap songs I would rather they were performed by rappers who can rap rather than singers who are very bad at rap, yes.

And fuck that "don't need it to be perfect" noise. Do you know how expensive Hamilton tickets are?! If I had spent the price of a weekend away somewhere to see it live and sat through 3 hours of classically trained musical theatre actors put on that amateur rap shite I would have been absolutely fuming.

I wouldn't be paying those ticket prices either but if I did go and see it, I'd be well aware I'm paying to see actors in a musical, and the rapping will be from actors who are not natural rappers.

If I want to see a musical, I'll go see a musical. If I want to hear impressive rapping, I'll pop on my Aesop Rock album or something.

Anyway, enough arguing about musicals. Life is too short.