Musicals are rubbish

waters44

I enjoyed the original album recording of Jesus Christ Superstar, the proceeds from which (unfortunately) funded the stage musical. The part of Jesus was originally sung by Ian Gillan (Deep Purple, Gillan etc), at a time when his voice was simply amazing...he later went on to destroy it. Yvonne Elliman also sung on the original album & was cast in the stage version. The part of Judas, on the album version was played by one Paul Gadd, who later became a prolific, high-profile paedophile. Lovely stuff. Stage musicals can fuck right off.

Edited by KingofSports
grammar

• Paid Members
2 minutes ago, Suplex Sinner said:

Outrageous statement. Les Miserables and/or The Phantom of the Opera live with the right cast are mind-blowing. 

I'm not a fan of either at all, but my point still stands about them deteriorating when they become tourist traps.

A friend who worked at the Queens theatre (where Les Mis is on) said that it enjoyed a massive improvement for the first time in years when the film came out - the production company decided it'd be worth investing in getting a more experienced cast in to generate potential repeat business.

• Awards Moderator

I love Hamilton and Les Mis. I really like Matilda and even though it’s Lloyd Webber, I do like Phantom of the Opera. I like what Julie Taymor did with The Lion King. Oh, and Book Of Mormon and Little Shop Of Horrors as well. There are quite a few musicals I like, but I wouldn’t say I liked musicals because there are equally as many I find unbearable. I don’t know what side of the argument this puts me on.

• Moderators
5 minutes ago, HarmonicGenerator said:

I love Hamilton and Les Mis. I really like Matilda and even though it’s Lloyd Webber, I do like Phantom of the Opera. I like what Julie Taymor did with The Lion King. Oh, and Book Of Mormon and Little Shop Of Horrors as well. There are quite a few musicals I like, but I wouldn’t say I liked musicals because there are equally as many I find unbearable. I don’t know what side of the argument this puts me on.

Any medium or genre has its share of garbage. I would say that you like musicals; that doesn't mean you have to like all of them.

• Paid Members
17 minutes ago, Frankie Crisp said:

You want to post it, @Wretch, or shall I?

SickCourteousHuia-small.gif

I only found out recently that about ten years ago they took this on a tour in actual theatres around the US . . .

Musicals can be fantastic or utterly drek. I sat smiling like an idiot all through the Lion King, Les Mis blew my cock off with how good it was, Matilda was charming and then on the flip side you get some utter shite being pumped out which either have one middling song or as mentioned enough *nudge nudge wink wink* references to fool an audience into believing they are watching a classic. 

• Paid Members
6 hours ago, LaGoosh said:

Wicked is a spectacular piece of shit filled to the brim with the blandest most unmemorable songs in history and an incredibly dumb story. No idea how that's been running so long to packed houses every night. 

My sister is part of this snobbish attitude that if you like The Wizard of Oz, then you HAVE to watch Wicked. If you haven't seen Wicked, then you don't understand the story of The Wizard of Oz properly.

Worse, if you don't like Wicked, then you don't properly appreciate The Wizard of Oz and you're watching it wrong.

Fuck right off. Wicked is the idea of some egotistical prick who felt he knew better than the original author as to how the characters and story should be, and for some reason it become accepted as canon when in reality it's just fan fiction, but without the inevitable weird sexual couplings.

12 minutes ago, LaGoosh said:

Did anyone see that Only Fools musical? I can't imagine how bad that must have been. 

Anything that gets "turned into" a musical usually fills me with dread. 

• Moderators

Started watching Hamilton with my wife this evening off the back of this conversation. We were quite enjoying it but started to get a little tired and attention was waning. Checked and there was still two fucking hours left. No chance of ever sitting through that in a theatre, but I am definitely enjoying it enough to finish it off over the next couple evenings.

I tend to agree that musicals are rubbish. I watched Rock Of Ages (the film) as it’s the genre of music that I tend to like but that wasn’t the best either. Just pure cheese.