Musicals are rubbish

waters44

• Paid Members
21 minutes ago, Keith Houchen said:

Should point out that Neil Hannon wrote the music for My Lovely Horse. Arthur Matthews did the lyrics all on his own. 

And of course, Hannon is also in Duckworth Lewis Method who are a firm favourite of Butch. 

Neil sung it as well. At least Ted’s vocal. Love that man

Edited by Hannibal Scorch

13 hours ago, Daaaaaad! said:

I discovered last week that there is a jukebox musical called '& Juliet' which has a play-within-a-play of a follow-up to the ending of Romeo & Juliet. The music is 'songs by Max Martin' so they range from Since U Bn Gone by Kelly Clarkson to Perfect by Pink, as well as SIX Backstreet Boys songs.

The whole concept sounds so irredeemably terrible I genuinely wonder if it's popular because it's bad.

& Juliet pretty much achieves what it sets out to achieve. I'm not the target audience by any means, but having seen it I can't deny that it's perfectly aimed at the audience it's going for and it's enthusiasm is surprisingly infectious. It's female empowerment message is pretty blunt and basic, but it probably should be. And it does pretty well with its depiction of a non-binary character. It dives so far into its campness and deliberately on the nose song choice that I think it gets away with it. 

Although yeah, if you hate musicals, it's really not the one to convince you.

When you compare it to Bad Cinderella (or Very Bad Cinderella or whatever they're marketing it as at the moment) which was desperate for the same audience, & Juliet is a fucking masterpiece. 

• Paid Members

My mum went to that Stock Aitken & Waterman musical I Should Be So Lucky and said it wasn't great. She loves a musical as well. Her review was "I'm glad we had free tickets." 

• 3 weeks later...