The Official UKFF RAW thread (part 2)...

• Paid Members
45 minutes ago, Mr_Danger said:

That’d be 90% of the AEW ‘fandom’ then.  Singling out a brand is like saying Man United have the worse fans. No, football has the worse fans. Well, second worse obviously wrestling fans take the top spot. Just ahead of football fans, gamers and billionaire shaggers.

I don’t know if you’re being moronic or not but that’s how it comes across. Man United did have one of the worst fan bases. Why? Because they were the biggest team with the largest fan base. Certainly before Chelsea and Man City had money at least. That’s not to say a team like Yeovil Town probably don’t have awful fans, but if they have 10% of the amount of fans Man Utd do, it’s not going to be as noticeable right? Because you hear less from them. So yeah, WWE fans, because there are millions more of them on social media, are louder and have shitter opinions than AEW fans because of sheer volume. That’s not to say neither have shit takes, but one is more noticeable than the other. 

What grown adult chooses McDonalds by choice ffs? That’s an everything else is closed option for most people.

I'm guessing WWE is doing really well atm as a product, which is absolutely brilliant as it means more people are enjoying it. The biggest being the best is utter cock though, it is a personal taste thing. In a few years I might get tired with AEW and prefer something else for example. I think part of my enjoyment now is I have a NEW alternative to regularly watch instead of the market leader and it's current, rather than regression into what I enjoyed in the past (old PPV's on the network when I had it etc). 

The worst bit of the fandom are the really weird fucks who actively WANT a promotion to fail. It's such a strange concept. What Pat said too, I think people just hate admitting they enjoy it. 

I think it's nice being in a place where as a fan, I just like still having a regular product to watch, no massive favourites, but the ones I have I'm not massively arsed if they win or lose as long as I'm kept interested. Of course there is booking where you kind of need to give the people the obvious good feeling ending (Cody must bloody win).

• Paid Members
Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, Hannibal Scorch said:

I am not saying all WWE is shite

Makes a change. 

EDIT: On reflection that's probably a bit harsh, but low hanging fruit and all that. Sorry Scorch. 

Edited by mim731
Felt it was a bit mean on reflection.

There is no way Man Utd have ever had a worse fan base than for example Millwall or Rangers. Worse fanbase in football isn’t the most annoying, it’s the most violent, racist, homophobic and horrible cunts. The ones you fear for your town getting ransacked when they go on the rampage. Man Utd have never been in that conversation. 

Sure, plenty of dickheads showed who they were by ignoring or turning a blind eye to people on the books being sex pests, but I bet you’d not get wrestling fans do something like that. 

2 hours ago, tiger_rick said:

We've been arguing about this on here since the dawn of the forum. It's nothing new. I'd say, respectfully, you're wrong. Most successful doesn't mean best. Maccies burgers might be the best branded, best known or best promoted but there's no way on the planet they are the best. Wrestling is a creative industry. In any creative industry, music, films, TV, theatre, etc - what is popular isn't always what is good.

WWE does appear from all I read and hear to have hugely improved. Fair play to them. However, when everything you read and heard was about how fucking shit they were, how dreadful Dunn was, how out of touch Vince was, who was the most successful wrestling promotion in the world? Who signed mega deals with Fox and USA? Who sold to Peacock for billions? Yep. The "shitty" WWE.

It's cool. I think it's an interesting debate (which I will save for another time) but 'best' is subjective unless there are parameters other than 'most successful',

5 minutes ago, Hannibal Scorch said:

I don’t know if you’re being moronic or not but that’s how it comes across. Man United did have one of the worst fan bases. Why? Because they were the biggest team with the largest fan base. Certainly before Chelsea and Man City had money at least. That’s not to say a team like Yeovil Town probably don’t have awful fans, but if they have 10% of the amount of fans Man Utd do, it’s not going to be as noticeable right? Because you hear less from them. So yeah, WWE fans, because there are millions more of them on social media, are louder and have shitter opinions than AEW fans because of sheer volume. That’s not to say neither have shit takes, but one is more noticeable than the other. 

What grown adult chooses McDonalds by choice ffs? That’s an everything else is closed option for most people.

You’re a dyed in the wool tribalistic ‘fan’ of a wrestling company. I’ll take any comment on sounding moronic from you with a pinch of salt. You are also missing the point that AEW fans are WWE fans and vice versa. People who like wrestling generally watch wrestling. Weirdo’s on Twitter might set their stall up otherwise but if you talk to real people you’ll see different.

The point I’m making is moronic fan base takes aren’t exclusive to a team/brand/favourite YouTube influencer. They’re exclusive to a type of person who bases a large part of their personality on which team/brand/influencer they like best. Obviously majority equals volume (except at Old Trafford right lads) but that wasn’t the point.

10 minutes ago, Hannibal Scorch said:

So yeah, WWE fans, because there are millions more of them on social media, are louder and have shitter opinions than AEW fans because of sheer volume. That’s not to say neither have shit takes, but one is more noticeable than the other. 

You do know you can discuss things without openly slagging off other people, right? And that your opinions are just that - opinions. What you think/feel/enjoy isn't gospel.

You like AEW and you don't like McDonalds. Good for you. Doesn't mean that's what everyone should be doing, and you really need to find a way of being able to discuss stuff without shutting others down as if you're always right and everyone else is wrong.

Biggest =\= best for sure.

But conversely, it's actually a little bit patronising when people dismiss popular things as "shit".   You may consider yourself a burger connoisseur and feel that McDonalds is beneath you but the fact is that a LOT of people LIKE McDonalds - that's why they buy it.  McDonalds doesn't get to be the biggest fast food distributor in the world just through sheer force of will, it does because it's giving a LOT of people exactly what they want, on a regular basis.

What they want and what you want from a burger is different, and its your taste that is the minority.  Doesn't make you wrong, but it's worth considering for a second what other people want from McDonalds.  They might like the taste.  They might like the price.  They might like the convenience, the fact that you reliably get the same thing every time, no matter what shit you've put up with that day, or how bad things are at home, that McDonalds burger is going to give you the comfort hit you want.

A really, really large number of people watch and enjoy WWE every week.  It's giving them what they want from wrestling, and that's not headdrops, blood and Japanese legends.   They might want simple good guys and bad guys, familiar faces, big time presentation, sparkly jackets and lots of hair extensions.  They're getting what they want, and they keep coming back year after year and town after town. 

So maybe there's something to the product after all?

I hate Coldplay, but I've reached an age where I don't consider people who DO like Coldplay to be idiots.  Maybe that music helped them through some tough times, maybe it reminds them of a lost love, maybe it makes a cold world a little less cold.  Maybe they're entitled to like what they like.

• Paid Members

Two major promotions is the best thing to ever happen to the talent. You can be absolutely washed, with zero to offer anyone, and you can still make yourself the center of a contract war every couple of years and get yourself bag after bag. Heartfelt condolences to whichever company he ends up with. Another three to four years of absolute shite.

1 hour ago, BomberPat said:

I'm sure the obsession with numbers and ratings and success exists in other media, but never to the extent that it does in wrestling, and I'm convinced it comes from two places - an obsession with the "Monday Night War", and people thinking that wrestling's default state is two rival promotions trying to outdo each other by metrics that largely don't make sense any more, and wrestling fans needing to be seen as "smart". Too many fans still seem absolutely terrified of just admitting that they like wrestling, or that they want to see their favourite wrestler win more matches, because to do so suggests that they're just a mark, and there's nothing worse to be than that - so they have to wrap it all up in arguments that sound business-y and insider instead. You can't just want your favourite wrestler to win, you have to argue about how the creative direction is better if they win, and how if they don't win, it's because someone in the office is holding them down. You can't just say that this promotion, or this style of wrestling, is your favourite, you have to argue that it's the best on some kind of quantifiable business ground - that this company's ratings are better, that this wrestler is a bigger draw, or that this style of wrestling "turns off casual fans", as if the barrier to your enjoyment of a bit of telly should be whether an imaginary other person is enjoying it or not!

I think it depends which corner of fandoms you're in. There's definitely corners of the Doctor Who fandom, for instance, who obsess over ratings, whether it's worrying that ratings are too low or using them as arguments to say one writer/doctor was better than the other. 

I think it's natural to be a fan of something and then become interesting in how bits of it works. 

Plus wrestling doesn't provide the same statistical fix that other athletic endeavours do. People can't obsess over how many completed passes someone has made in a season so they talk about how much wrestling time there was on a show or what the TV ratings are. They want some numbers. 

• Paid Members
Posted (edited)

@Supremo 

"Matt Hardy was in attendance last night for Monday night Raw"

Sure, but it looks like it was because he bought a ticket. It was in Raleigh. I'd like to think there's the same chance of him being on the cusp of a deal as there was for Su Pollard when she rocked up at the Docklands for Hogan vs Savage in 1989.

Edited by air_raid
Malfunction. Need input.