The Official UKFF RAW thread (part 2)...

11 minutes ago, DavidB6937 said:

Is that true though? Granted a lot of focus has been on The Rock but, whether you agree on the content or whatever, surely the clear point of all of this is to get Cody over more?

I actually didn't mean fans, I meant the participants. There might be fans who care, and more power to them as the wrestlers involved don't seem to. 

Even if the point is to get Cody over more, I'd argue that's still a misstep - the point should always have been building to this major showdown between their two biggest stars.

But I'd say getting Cody over doesn't seem to be the main point, the main point seems to be getting to Rock/Roman - albeit slower than they planned.

It would appear anyone that celebrated changing WWE's destination when they brought Rock back, might need to consider that they only ever changed their route.

I'm more convinced than ever that Cody doesn't win, and we end up with Seth/Cody and Rock/Roman later this year for the respective titles.

Have to agree with what was said about who has been going over in the tag matches - DIY, Tyler Bate and Pete Dunne (bring back Butch!) at Mania? Eurgh.

Pretty Deadly, Creeds, Indus Sher, AOP, Street Profits - stick them in there. Proper teams, some high flying spots and a bit of meat too. I even like Angel and Humberto. Stick them in for some lucha spots. 

DIY and Bate and Dunne? No. Just no. 

I think this has stopped getting Cody over more. He's still getting brilliant reactions on the road, but the actual in ring promos over the last 2-3 weeks on TV have had a much more routine response to my ears.

Going for exchanges on Rock's level with yo momma and tiny dick barbs isn't going to do anything for his bottom line. Cody's bottom line is the fact that there's a white meat, superhero babyface over like rover in the hyper-cynical 2020s.

Wrestling spent effectively an entire generation booing the heir to the throne. Then the most obvious heir to the throne ever came along and everyone decided the world's a miserable enough place as it is, so let's just actually cheer this really good guy. 

Kids watched during the Attitude Era, it's a total Bret Hart take. I get it. But his character should have a certain weird integrity to me. Cody's the guy that's awesome with kids. 

Now he's teaching them the Attitude Lite stuff. 

Wish they'd just move WrestleMania to this weekend and get it over with. The go home show will have funny sewage falling on Rock whilst he tries to run through a 42 minute Cody "This is your bitch fart crybaby life" segment at this rate. 

16 minutes ago, d-d-d-dAz said:

I'm more convinced than ever that Cody doesn't win, and we end up with Seth/Cody and Rock/Roman later this year for the respective titles.

We’re in funniest result of all time territory if Cody loses at this point.

That’s not to say it won’t happen, but it would undo all the goodwill they’ve managed to rebuild since the Vegas press conference. Which is probably the most successful retcon they’ve ever pulled off. Maybe second to using Montreal to launch the Attitude era.

I think the whole business has made them realise the ‘its good again since Vince went’ vibes are valuable, and worth cultivating/protecting. I’d expect a lot fewer swerves to spite the fans in the coming years. Now that the territory is no longer being booked by a malignant narcissist with a humiliation kink.

The best result for me is that Cody overcomes all odds at Mania, fights away The Bloodline and wins as clean as can be. Then you either have the rematch at Summerslam or even better if his schedule permits you have him face The Rock at Summerslam with that match being the catalyst for Roman vs Rock later on. If the takeaway from Mania is that fans can’t wait to see what happens with The Rock and Roman then they’ll have done Cody rotten.

• Paid Members
3 hours ago, DavidB6937 said:

And enjoying the experimentation each week with the shots. Definitely feels like they're more flexible now.

Saw "Kevin Dunn" trending this morning so I clicked on it to see if he'd died or been arrested. It was everyone talking about this camera work. Which is pretty cool, in fairness. Hunter's an over-rated booker, as evidenced by every other post about him fucking up can't miss Cody (again) but he's not afraid to take stuff from the past that works great, like this. 

• Paid Members

The Rock is so shit that he's more or less infected everything else around him. Making everything rushed on Smackdown after his awful promo and essentially forcing Cody Rhodes into a promo response that is everything that he's not. Couple more weeks of this.

12 minutes ago, tiger_rick said:

Saw "Kevin Dunn" trending this morning so I clicked on it to see if he'd died or been arrested. It was everyone talking about this camera work. Which is pretty cool, in fairness. Hunter's an over-rated booker, as evidenced by every other post about him fucking up can't miss Cody (again) but he's not afraid to take stuff from the past that works great, like this. 

Judging HHH’s booking by posts on here he might come across as fucking up the Cody story but if you judge it on the comments on Twitter he’s the best ever. I think he/WWE were doing a fine job considering it was a two year build but then in the final stretch of that build the remit changed from ‘Make Cody the focal point of the company’ to ‘Stop people talking about the perverted sex maniac by any means necessary’. Even so they’ve far from fucked it up. Cody is still mega over and they’ve laid the foundations for a couple of huge matches down the line. It absolutely can all far apart come Mania though.

• Paid Members
Posted (edited)

I saw someone suggest they should do a one-shot episode of Raw, where it’s one continuous camera angle. I’d love that. Still think they should do a musical episode too. Have a laugh now Vince and Dunn has gone.

For as messy as the Cody thing is, I don’t think it’ll matter on the night(s). He’s had too good of a run and has built up too much good will. As long as he wins the belt, all this will be forgotten about the same way no-one remembers the messy build up to Bret vs. Austin at Wrestlemania 13 or Debra managing The Rock in the build up to Wrestlemania 17. It is an absolute mess right now though. The best thing about Cody was how above it all he was. Bantering off everything The Rock would say. “Grow up Dwayne, it’s not 1999 anymore.” But then in no time flat he’s been sucked into the rubbish battle promos, trying to pop the crowd with crap lines and naughty swear words. You’re better than this, RollerCoadster.

And yeah. Whilst I don’t want it to be the Gratitude Era, and it is daft to say people, “deserve,” a spot on the Wrestlemania card, I can’t help it. It’s criminal nothing-happening, waste-of-space, crowd-reaction-black-holes like Johnny Gargano get a spot in the ladder match over great men like this. Outrageous. No boy!

IMG_7872.thumb.jpeg.dbb9e376dff9e339f6d82872c4288b20.jpeg

I’d argue they’d make good hosts for Wrestlemania, but you assume they’ve pencilled CM Punk in for that. Wouldn’t mind seeing them do it with Punk though. Bet they’d have some great interactions with Phil. Sore arm? Pop yourself in the wheelchair!

Edited by Supremo

• Paid Members
51 minutes ago, Snitsky's back acne said:

Have to agree with what was said about who has been going over in the tag matches - DIY, Tyler Bate and Pete Dunne (bring back Butch!) at Mania? Eurgh.

I can't think of any two teams more suited to adding to a match that with 6 teams and ladders in it, is already the definition of "too much," given they just had a nonsense match that featured a kick out of Project Ciampa and a load of other bollocks. I know The Revival weren't everyone's cup of tea, but I'm really pining for them right now. They'd be a perfect antidote to the bullshit that seems to happen in every tag match on SmackDown at the minute. Dunne especially feels like he's regressed from where he was 6 or 7 years ago. "Damn, somebody needs to teach that kid to work" I can hear the old timers saying.

They're still having Gargano & Ciampa interacting? Incredible. An feud built for us internet freaks that was so overdone it was rejected by internet freaks.

I'm not watching, but even if all this cobblers with The Rock sounds a jumbled mess. Cody is winning the belt. He HAS too, logic can't dictate a reason to not. You'd literally assume that WWE actively wants it's fans to be disappointed and upset doing that decision twice in two years. 

The only reason you wouldn't is if they're like 'We've decided Roman Reigns will out date Sammartino's run' purely for the benefit of absolutely nobodies interest... I mean that would be hilarious mind you.

• Paid Members

Gargano and Ciampa should get back to NXT where they can be the locker room leaders they think they are. Dunne and Batel have a stupid name but I am even more sure now that New Catch Republic or NCR as I am sure they will be styled as is just a way of having a sly dig at FTR. Things may have changed from the Virgil\Vincent era but not by much. 

I like Pretty Deadly but as a lower card comedy team, I can't imagine them anywhere near any title though. 

• Paid Members
8 minutes ago, Mr_Danger said:

Judging HHH’s booking by posts on here he might come across as fucking up the Cody story but if you judge it on the comments on Twitter he’s the best ever. I think he/WWE were doing a fine job considering it was a two year build but then in the final stretch of that build the remit changed from ‘Make Cody the focal point of the company’ to ‘Stop people talking about the perverted sex maniac by any means necessary’. Even so they’ve far from fucked it up. Cody is still mega over and they’ve laid the foundations for a couple of huge matches down the line. It absolutely can all far apart come Mania though.

I think they fucked it the day they switched to Rock/Roman and then backtracked quickly without rhyme or reason. Completely agree with you that it's be alright in the end but it's piss-poor booking, let's be honest. 

I'd much rather judge on the people on here than the people on Twitter who were telling me that shows in the Thunderdome were great, fwiw.

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, Chili said:

Cody is winning the belt. He HAS too, logic can't dictate a reason to not. You'd literally assume that WWE actively wants it's fans to be disappointed and upset doing that decision twice in two years. 

The everything in bold is what everyone was saying 12 months ago.

1 hour ago, tiger_rick said:

I'd much rather judge on the people on here than the people on Twitter who were telling me that shows in the Thunderdome were great, fwiw.

Oh in terms of reasonable discussion and all that - absolutely. I rarely directly engage with anyone on Twitter.

However in terms of a wider picture and seeing how people are reacting to stuff, reading Twitter/Facebook/Reddit can give a more overall view of how things are being received as a general audience, which I would assume WWE care more about than us on here. Basically the opposite of Tony Khan.

And right now, as far as I can tell, the questionable booking and shifts hasn't caused a mass turn against Cody or caused any issues with the business, nor has whatever work The Rock has been putting in. And that'll be all they care about really.