The Official UKFF RAW thread (part 2)...

• Paid Members
37 minutes ago, DavidB6937 said:

Do we think R Truth will understand how to win the ladder match though? He'll probably think it's a Rumble or something.

What I'd really like is backstage later on the show, Truth to present Carmella with a bottle of champagne and wonder when the trophy is finally arriving, mistakenly believing that The Fabulous Truth have just won the Mixed Match Challenge.

• Paid Members

There's no denying that R-Truth is a pretty brilliant comedic performer but I've always been a bit confused by the character. Is he an idiot? Is he insane? Just generally, what's his deal? And I've always found the act had a kind of weird racist undercurrent to it. Most the black wrestlers in WWE history have had this at some point.

1 hour ago, LaGoosh said:

Is he an idiot? Is he insane? Just generally, what's his deal?

I find it's best not to care about any of this and just laugh at what is one of the funniest characters in wrestling.

And consistently as well. He's been doing this for years and is always someone who has nailed the comedy element, and always seems like he's having a blast.

• Paid Members
2 hours ago, LaGoosh said:

Most the black wrestlers in WWE history have had this at some point.

I'll never forget going into Mania 21 I asked my buddy if there was an outside chance Shelton might take that step up and win Money In The Bank and he told me not to be stupid, and that black men didn't get to win at Mania. I replied that in Butch Reed vs Junkyard Dog at Mania 3 we were guaranteed at least one black winner and sharp as anything he replied "That's even more racist! Brother vs brother for the white man's amusement!" Farooq would have been proud of that particular outburst.

Thankfully we've always had the Rhodes family to conquer racism. They won at Mania VI, they're winning again this year.

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, air_raid said:

I'll never forget going into Mania 21 I asked my buddy if there was an outside chance Shelton might take that step up and win Money In The Bank and he told me not to be stupid, and that black men didn't get to win at Mania. I replied that in Butch Reed vs Junkyard Dog at Mania 3 we were guaranteed at least one black winner and sharp as anything he replied "That's even more racist! Brother vs brother for the white man's amusement!" Farooq would have been proud of that particular outburst.

I must have told this story a million times, but I was at college with a guy who's brother is now a wrestler. The three of somehow got onto the topic of whether or not wrestling was racist, with the guy's brother being adamant that it was. I brought up that the WWF had a voodoo witchdoctor, a pimp, and a black nationalist, and they were all the same guy as a mark in the "bit racist, innit?" column. The wrestler paused for a moment, and replied, "yeah, but they made Booker T a King".

• Paid Members
Posted (edited)

Rubbish, messy promo from Cody. One of his worst in a long time. Big step backwards. Another example of how Rock’s involvement in all this has simultaneously made everything feel huge and entertaining, and yet wildly unfocussed at the same time. Completely took Cody out of his groove. What are we even doing at this point?

Cody’s at his best with a quivering lip, getting caught up in the emotion of it all, emphasising the end goal of winning that belt. He should be above all Rock’s nonsense. He shouldn’t be out there doing shooty BATTLE promos. Defining what a, “heel,” is? Get in the bin. I also can’t keep track anymore; when Seth was doing the Diarrhoea Dwayne stuff, that was actually supposed to be rubbish, as a parody of Rock’s crap material. What about Cody here, going, “LDS - Little dick syndrome - LOL!” Is that another crap parody? Or legitimate bad writing this time?

Bonus points for a comeback that essentially went, “talk about my mother? How about we talk about your mother…lovely lady, actually.” Solid burn. Remember when you were cool, Cody?

Hopefully Cody and Roman can get everything back on track this Friday. Whole thing has completely come off the rails. Fully veered into the Gewirtz-verse.

The booking of that six-man ladder match at Wrestlemania is starting to feel like a wind up. Eliminating The Creeds and Pretty Deadly in favour of the New Catch Republic and DIY getting a spot?! Bullshit! Let it go, Hunter. These NXT Black and Gold losers aren’t a patch on the NXT 2.0 lot. My boys have been robbed.

Anyway, this show was worth it solely for the final two bumps in that main event. Two crazy, wild bumps that made Becky Lynch look incredible. Best thing Nia Jax has ever done.

Edited by Supremo

Saw a lot of positive comments on the Cody promo over socials this morning. Seemed to go down well in general. Crowd were really into him too. Didn't think it was a bad promo at all myself but hey.

DIY/Creeds worked really well together. Creeds will have their time. They should have a long and bright future. Need to enjoy DIY while we can as they don't seem to have much luck on the main roster, together or apart.

The Becky stuff was exactly what she needed going into Mania. I'm still more into Bayley's story but can't deny Rhea/Becky feeling like the bigger match.

And enjoying the experimentation each week with the shots. Definitely feels like they're more flexible now.

• Paid Members

After all these years it’s pretty surreal that they’ve become able to make me cheer for Miz.

I appreciate I'm the Wrestling Grinch at this point, but what a load of absolute shite. Nothing makes sense and the blame falls squarely at the feet of whoever tried to insert The Rock into an easy, natural storyline.

The promo made zero sense. The Rock is a bad salesman? A whiny bitch? Is he? Really? That's very much not his character.

No one knows who they are or what they're doing because of the mess they've created. Barely anyone cares about Cody/Roman. Shite.

I'll need to get back to watching AEW at this rate.

The Rock is the very definition of a brilliant salesman. Everything he does is to sell one thing or another whether that’s one of his many mediocre films that he’s made absolute bank on or his extremely overpriced popular with the gym dads UA range. The guy even convinced me to have pancakes for breakfast once just by tweeting a massive stack of his pancakes. Cody doesn’t cut bad promos but I agree the content was weak.

I fully expect The Rock to lead The Bloodline down to ring on Friday to start kicking things off between him and Roman, which is part of the problem. As much as I’ve enjoyed The Rock this run it’s sort of turned the main angle in to the build for Rocky vs Roman next year.

• Paid Members

I've stopped trying to see if the promo makes any sense in the story because the story isn't consistent and I'm now at the point where I just try and enjoy the promo each week. It was an OK promo, Cody has done better and worse. The deal with Mr Heyman was a nice touch but you expect both sides will break the conditions. So just OK for me to be honest. 

46 minutes ago, d-d-d-dAz said:

Barely anyone cares about Cody/Roman. Shite.

Is that true though? Granted a lot of focus has been on The Rock but, whether you agree on the content or whatever, surely the clear point of all of this is to get Cody over more?

One of the main concerns was if they were ever going to be able to keep Cody hot enough for a rematch at Mania.

As far as I can tell Cody is the most over person and in the best spot to beat Roman. If that's the case then I think Rock is doing his job okay. If Cody/Roman falls flat at Mania and no one is invested then we'll know no one gives a shit and the build up failed.

And if they can keep Cody hot AND come out of this with possible feuds with the Rock or Rock/Reigns then that's got to be a good thing no?

I get that the simple story was screwed up somewhere along the way and it's tough for some to get on board now but they do seem to be doing a decent job. I'm not seeing much that people aren't invested in now unless I'm missing something.