The Official UKFF RAW thread (part 2)...

2 hours ago, DavidB6937 said:

I think I'm almost as excited to see Dom at MITB as I am Sami Zayn and the Bloodline at this point.

Oh, I'm the same. I'd love to see him win, and successfully cash in on Seth Rollins. He's so much fun to watch right now!

• Paid Members
30 minutes ago, RedRooster said:

Oh, I'm the same. I'd love to see him win, and successfully cash in on Seth Rollins. He's so much fun to watch right now!

You know what, for all the insistence that he wasn’t the right man to win the World title from Reigns - that Cody is, myself one of those insisting - there’s now a fine opportunity for Zayn to win a World title, which would be gangbangers. Hopefully history wouldn’t look back and say “Oh, that wasn’t THE belt, anyone could win that one” as there a tendency to do (not without validity) with Goldberg, Rey (apart from a couple of hours with THE title), Khali, Swagger, Kane (apart from 24 hours with THE title), Ziggler (apart from a Dusty finish retcon for fewer minutes than it’s worth recalling with THE title), Christian, Mark Henry, Balor, Owens, Goldberg again, Strowman or “The Fiend.”

Not that “THE” title doesn’t have its share of Jinders in the closet.

• Paid Members
6 minutes ago, Supremo said:

Dom only putting one syllable in the Cody, “woooahhooah,” is the type of heel work you cannot teach. The true greats are just born with it.

Random thought ; an angle I'd totally do for Rey vs Dom would have been for Rey to beat Dom in one of those terribly transparent "loser leaves WWE" matches, then the week after a "mysterious" masked wrestler called El Colibri debuts on TV using all Dom's moves and mannerisms but only speaking Spanish when presented a mic, and every time anyone asks if he's Dominick Mysterio he insists "No no no, por supuesto que no" etc. Of course after a couple of weeks he starts attacking his dad, which leads to a mask vs mask match. Which Dom loses. Then transitions into a reimagining of Chris Jericho's "Mr Lopphole" 1998 persona in trying to backdoor his way back onto the show.

For those unaware, El Colibri was Rey's first name as a pro. Translates to "The Hummingbird" which actually really works for the bothersome little bird, as well as blatantly trolling his dad.

2 hours ago, Supremo said:

Dom only putting one syllable in the Cody, “woooahhooah,” is the type of heel work you cannot teach. The true greats are just born with it.

I think he is playing into the meme of John Cena singing Smoke and Mirrors rather than trolling his current theme, but regardless it’s top shithousery.

6 hours ago, air_raid said:

You know what, for all the insistence that he wasn’t the right man to win the World title from Reigns - that Cody is, myself one of those insisting - there’s now a fine opportunity for Zayn to win a World title, which would be gangbangers. Hopefully history wouldn’t look back and say “Oh, that wasn’t THE belt, anyone could win that one” as there a tendency to do (not without validity) with Goldberg, Rey (apart from a couple of hours with THE title), Khali, Swagger, Kane (apart from 24 hours with THE title), Ziggler (apart from a Dusty finish retcon for fewer minutes than it’s worth recalling with THE title), Christian, Mark Henry, Balor, Owens, Goldberg again, Strowman or “The Fiend.”

Not that “THE” title doesn’t have its share of Jinders in the closet.

I have always been of the belief this is why WWE have 2 titles; gives certain people a chance of being World Champion but not THE world champion. It's a great political way of keeping prestige on the main belt and also allowing peoples egos to have their moment with a world championship.

In a simpler time, when we all thought Cody was going to win the title, I remember we collectively decided that his best feuds following Mania would be Brock, Dominik and Logan.

I like that they seem to be walking the obvious path for keeping Cody over as a face, title or not.

• Paid Members

Overall - Judged across the full broadcast, a poor Raw this week. But the main event and KO/Gunther were fine outings and that does redress the balance a bit. 

👍 Seth Rollins/Damian Priest - Promo exchange during the opening was a bit on the weak side, but the main event was very tidy indeed. Priest is very comfortable in the main event scene and it’s nice to see him in that environment. Rollins to me is still the best choice for champion in the interim. Interesting to see some dessension teased between Priest and Balor - hopefully it’s not the beginning of the end for the Judgement Day as it’s been such a good run thus far. 

👍 Kevin Owens vs Gunther - Certified banger. This was only ever going to be an absolute ripper and so it proved. I’m delighted Imperium are squaring up against Zayn and KO, and I repeat the point I made last week - I don’t see this programme as a step down for the babyfaces, rather I see it as Imperium levelling up to take on two of the most over acts in the business. I’m here for all of this and there are so many interesting combinations they explore in terms of tags and singles matches. Splendid. 

👍 Cody/Dom business - Very entertaining squabbling. Cody is basically on automatic thumbs up territory for me every week now. Dom’s a good little shithouse - I’m not sure I quite buy him as a challenger for any title at the moment though. I fear a lot of the hatred directed towards him is in an almost ironic fashion, and his in-ring performances haven’t reached the loftier standards to date. But time will tell. Segment was a good giggle though. 

👎 Ricochet vs Shinsuke Nakamura - Disappointing when you consider the potential of this one on paper. The finish blows too, as much as I also see potential in Bronson Reed.  

👎 Becky Lynch vs Sonya Deville - Below average standard. 

👎 Rousey/Baszler vs Chance/Carter - Match was ok, largely because Shana did the bulk of the work, but questionable booking here, sacrificing the new callups almost immediately when their whole act is based on being a tag team…and although their challenge was a spirited one, they lost. If you at least build them up over a few weeks first, that’s something. Now what?

👎 Zoey Stark vs Natalya - I like the booking for Stark and the alliance with Trish will be a huge benefit for her. But this match was incredibly boring. Natalya, respectfully, simply cannot be taken seriously as a legitimate threat in any match now. She’s been presented in far too much of a mediocre fashion for such an elongated period of time, ala Miz, ala Dolph Ziggler. 

👎 Indus Sher’s stuff is lazily booked bollocks that we’ve seen too many times before. Uninteresting. 

Absolute waffle. Bray Wyatt-levels of people tying themselves in knots to connect a set of random dots and claim they’re all part of one big beautiful picture.

”one of the best gimmicks in wrestling” - have a day off.

I gave up after 4 or 5 which included an “as you know” from when he attacked Cesaro, cos everyone remembers that, and stopped when I got to “as we delve deeper into the plot”, so admittedly I didn’t get very far.

I did like how things supposedly started just after Survivor Series 2019 then skipped right to Survivor Series 2020 in a very “and then for a while nothing happened” fashion. Oh no sorry, his path “violent and obstacle filled”. Anyone remember any of it? 

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, WyattSheepMask said:

I gave up after 4 or 5 which included an “as you know” from when he attacked Cesaro, cos everyone remembers that, and stopped when I got to “as we delve deeper into the plot”, so admittedly I didn’t get very far.

I did like how things supposedly started just after Survivor Series 2019 then skipped right to Survivor Series 2020 in a very “and then for a while nothing happened” fashion. Oh no sorry, his path “violent and obstacle filled”. Anyone remember any of it? 

Just the bit with Rey's fake eye.

• Paid Members

I think there's an impulse to see something get a lot of praise and want to find that same thing in the thing you specifically love. So I think some of this comes from the big threads for like Hangman/Omega and The Fiend; but also this is a significant chunk of pop culture consumption now. I really like the new Spider-Verse movie and a good third of the TikToks I'm being forcefed about it now are someone 'explaining' all the secret genius things you didn't notice in the background, or in the previous movie. A good chunk of them are dispelled with a minute's thought but that impulse is kinda the flavour du jour for interpreting and enjoying media right now.

21 minutes ago, Jesse said:

I think there's an impulse to see something get a lot of praise and want to find that same thing in the thing you specifically love. So I think some of this comes from the big threads for like Hangman/Omega and The Fiend; but also this is a significant chunk of pop culture consumption now. I really like the new Spider-Verse movie and a good third of the TikToks I'm being forcefed about it now are someone 'explaining' all the secret genius things you didn't notice in the background, or in the previous movie. A good chunk of them are dispelled with a minute's thought but that impulse is kinda the flavour du jour for interpreting and enjoying media right now.

Spot on, there just has to be "lore" behind every little thing right now.