The Official UKFF RAW thread (part 2)...

• Paid Members
7 minutes ago, theringmaster said:

I've had similar thoughts, I think a 'WWE Studios' film is incoming....

Do they even still do films? I can't remember hearing about one for years, maybe since Fighting With My Family.

• Paid Members

I'd love for Chelsea and Sonya to take the tag titles and have Chelsea keep finding ways to get out of defending them. No interest in the quartet of Rodriguez / Morgan / Rousey / Baszler.

Cody with another stellar promo that has made me a lot more interested in the rematch than the first match did. Stretcher job in Saudi?

The battle royal was bags of fun, with some interesting spots and a few unsuspecting people giving time to shine. Glad to see Ali grab the win to give us something a little different to the usual Gunther defence. Hopefully goes longer than Brock Vs Ricochet did in Saudi a few years ago 

Heyman shithousing again and being in cahoots with both Imperium and Judgment Day was great. Such a weasel and using people to his advantage. 

• Paid Members
17 minutes ago, Nick James said:

Chelsea keep finding ways to get out of defending

Football threads in off topic mate. 

Gunther is fantastic. To me he carries himself like a world champion and has that same air about him that Regal had in that he looks like he can smell something odious, and that it's probably you. 

Not much I can add that hasn’t already been said on other happenings but god bless vignettes to at least try and explain who these NXT wrestlers are and/or what they’re about. Talented or not, at least they’re trying to give us some information on them. My biggest gripe lately was the assumption that we knew all these NXT wrestlers and I mentioned that on here so kudos to Trips.

• Paid Members

Overall - Now then! Some show, this. Hit all the right spots and as 'go home' shows go, you couldn't have asked for much more. A belter of an episode with only a few quibbles. The vast majority of the actual wrestling itself was good to great, and the bits I've given a thumbs down to aren't anything to get too worked up about (even though that's exactly what I've done in relation to the last point). A jolly good watch this week.   

👍 Brock/Cody business - Fantastic way to open the show with the vicious looking attack by Lesnar before the skirmish in the ring later on. If you weren't up for the rematch before, that should seal the deal for you. It does provide a window for Lesnar to beat Rhodes at the PLE to get his win back, but alternatively it means another heroic victory if he does wind up fighting seemingly unstoppable odds once again. The HHH interaction was interesting - I'm just hoping that we're not about to embark on a Cody vs the Authority type of angle - not for me, Clive. But overall this was great. 

👍 Sami/KO/Riddle vs Imperium - Solid main event and some more good build for Sami and KO's date with destiny in a few days' time. Heyman's cameo at the beginning was great as always (he can hop onto whatever brand he wants, I don't mind. Also, loved the 'little rat-bastard' line about Sami) and despite a tiny botch on trying to clothesline Gunther out during the earlier brawl, everything else ran like clockwork between all parties later on. Also, I appreciated Gio's Rock-esque attempt at a stunner sell, even if it wasn't squeaky clean, bless him.

👍 Shinsuke Nakamura vs Finn Balor - Wow, what a contrast for Nakamura since his return. This was great - Balor is in fine fettle at the moment and Nakamura seemed especially motivated here and they produced a top effort between them. Priest getting involved as the enforcer will always warm the cockles too. Loved Shin showing some of that old swagger strutting around the ring at one point after dodging an attack. Lovely stuff - hopefully Nakamura feels like he's got his mojo back and we can expect more of this from him. 

👍 Ricochet/Bronson Reed - Good little exhibition here. Ricochet got to show off his usual acrobatics while Bronson got to exercise his dominance. Ricochet doesn't lose any credibility losing to an absolute beast and it's a strong win for big Bronson. 

👍 Seth Rollins vignettes - All nicely produced and I'll look forward to his crowning this weekend. 

👍 Zoey Stark vs Candice LaRae - A good showcase for Stark who also got the vignette treatment pre-match. This batch of NXT callups are getting a great head-start on their respective brands. Papa H clearly in the chair. 

👍 Trish/Becky business - I quite like this cocky version of evil Trish (especially her 'you know how the gingers can be' line!). Becky really gave off big-star energy and for once wasn't heavily inhaling with every pause during her promo. Low blow with the dog barking line!

👍 Dom Dom vs Apollo Crews - Short, but sweet enough and I quite enjoyed it. Apollo is a good opponent for Dom - Apollo has the experience and can do a lot of the flashy stuff to get the crowd going, while Dom can match that and also throw in some shithousery with Rhea in tow. A good outing. 

👎 Alpha Academy/Viking Raiders - I expected a bit more from this one if I'm honest. No shortage of effort, they were simply too pushed for time. I like that the Otis/Maxine business is continuing though. 

👎 Raquel Rodriguez vs Sonya Deville - I thought this might be going somewhere and I did like Deville's intensity at the beginning, really playing up to her old background, but it ended quite quickly and thus wasn't much of note. Shotzi replacing Morgan is an uninspiring pick, but then hopefully it's a one-off partnership and RR can then go back to a singles run. 

👎 'Get a life, kid!' - Now, hear me out - I did chuckle. But it's a bit of an awkward one for me - Ali immediately seemed to abandon his 'positiveAli' persona and went for a heartfelt promo, but couldn't seem to convey it from an emotional standpoint. Brock then coming in and immediately dismissing it was a bit needless - Ali just looks like a complete and utter cuck when he's trying to promote a big singles match against Gunther. Also I don't think the bully heel schtick is much of an intelligent look or standpoint in 2023. Perhaps a mild overreaction to this one, and again I did find it funny, but looking at it from a broader perspective (there's my first mistake), there's a bit more to this than a random backstage interaction. 

Edited by Fatty Facesitter

Watching the Cody/Brock segments I had the thought, from a kayfabe perspective, is Cody nuts? This isn’t wrestling Seth with a torn pec, it’s Brock freaking Lesnar, who not only smashed your arm with a bin at full tilt but then ‘broke’ it with a Kimura lock, something he’s done to the likes of HBK, Trips and others

• Paid Members

Overall - A transitional episode which was generally fine, but just didn’t have anything particularly eye-catching or anything you’d deem to be unmissable. The fire is being stoked heading into Money in the Bank, but the locomotive isn’t quite steaming down the track just yet. 

👍 Rollins/AJ/Judgement Day business -The opening promo exchange/love-in between Seth and AJ at the start was a bit naff, but the Judgement Day’s involvement and the subsequent match later on elevated  proceedings. Perhaps not the revolutionary start to a new title reign compared to others we’ve seen in the past, but we’ve got some time to establish that between now and MITB and beyond, so I’m happy to let it simmer. Main event itself was solid without being wildly spectacular (which is the overriding theme of the show in general).

👍 Cody knocking it out of the park again with another top promo. Calling out the beast for not being man enough to make him tap?! Neck like a jockey’s bollocks. Have him win the rubber match and maybe, just maybe, we can start revisiting the story we all want to see culminate…

👍 KO-Sami/Imperium/Alpha Academy business - Here for all of this. KO going mental for an unannounced interruption was hilarious. The resulting match was fine. I’ve seen some chat about how this feels like a step down for Sami and KO, but I look at it from a different perspective - the tag titles are probably more over and arguably more prestigious at the moment than they have ever been, and as a result I see it as a great opportunity for Imperium and Alpha Academy to step up to face two of the best performers in the business presently. Glass half full and all that. 

👍 Ricochet vs Miz - Solid again. Ricochet is a superb inclusion the MITB lineup and Miz as the sacrificial lamb tonight made sense in terms of lining that up. 

👍 Trish/Stark/Becky business - I like how intense this has become and also how Stark has been included to throw in a few face into the mix. 

👎 Women’s tag titles four way - Cold truth: WWE’s standard of women’s wrestling output has diminished in recent shows in comparison to their competitors in the market and I’m afraid this is further evidence. It’s not a question of effort - more the booking, match layouts and general execution. Rousey/Baszler winning the titles will hopefully provide a boost to both of them, though you can’t help but feel like both have lost so much momentum since they first joined the company that it might be tough to turn that back around long term. 

👎 Indus Scher squash - Meandering and with barely any redeeming qualities. A squash match layout you’ve seen a million times and will probably have to see a million more of. 

👎 JD McDonagh vs Dolph Ziggler - Despite the intensity and the positive presentation towards JD, fucking up your finisher isn’t a great way to kick off any sort of singles push. Also, in 2023 I’m not sure there’s much at all that can be gained by taking down Dolph Ziggler - an athletic specimen and a solid hand, but about 10 years past his sell-by date in terms of credibility (which isn’t necessarily his fault - more the unimaginative booking that has plagued him for so long).

👎 Shinsuke Nakamura vs Bronson Reed - Dull, slow, uninspiring. Poor finish. 

• Paid Members
On 5/30/2023 at 7:22 PM, Fatty Facesitter said:

I’ve seen some chat about how this feels like a step down for Sami and KO, but I look at it from a different perspective - the tag titles are probably more over and arguably more prestigious at the moment than they have ever been

100% agree. The tag titles being around the wrestlers involved to this point, including the champ, is far closer to "The SmackDown Six" era for tag belts than, for instance, "why are DX fucking about with Spirit Squad instead of individually going after Cena?"