The Official UKFF RAW thread (part 2)...

• Paid Members

Yeah. It’s worth remembering that Triple Hs best work in NXT was when there was zero accountability for the brand succeeding by any metric re: finances, viewing figures, sponsorships etc and all that they had to go on was that he produced some characters that were over enough on that platform to warrant a punt on the main roster, selling out one decent sized venue when most people were in town for SummerSlam anyway, and a successful tour selling out ballrooms and ice rinks in the UK, the perfect market for his worldwide pick n mix super indy.

That said, selfishly I’d rather six months of his booking that provides me a product I enjoy but runs a loss, than another 10 years of beige, financially sensible TV. More booking of wrestling stories, less content and fewer “moments.” More letting what’s happened actually resonate, less making Kevin Owens ask “Why are you showing this? It literally JUST happened.” And fewer camera cuts, natch.

Looking forward to RAW tonight and I do expect there might be one or two memorable moments to hopefully signify the beginning of a new era.

Montez Ford's heel turn and the beginning of his singles run is a near certainty tonight in my eyes.

Quite a fun show. Good pacing, decent matches and a fair bit of storyline progression - but the whole show just had a fresh feel about it and a lack of the tired creative/production tropes you usually see on Raw each and every week. Even the first hour being advert-free was really enjoyable and flowed very well, I hope they keep that aspect of it weekly going forward.

What also helped was not much of the show being filler, not a single Omos/Veer/Ezekiel or 24/7 title to be seen.

Dominik Mysterio can get in the bin though, truly the Darren Ferguson of his family name.

• Paid Members

Multiple shitty non-finishes, dead crowd, guys still filling time by working double duty. It was the best episode they've had in ages, but that speaks more to how low the bar is than anything else. Shades of the dying days of NXT Black and Yellow. Triple H is trying, he does want to push new stars, and I do believe he has a better vision than Vince, but I don't have faith he can overcome the WWE brain worms. If this was supposed to be them making a statement then she's just a regular Malibu Stacy with a stupid, cheap hat.

It's baby steps in the right direction at least. It's still totally missable after the first hour but they seem to realise that themselves and always frontload the thing. 

I feel like even if they set the table out, it's still going to be loads of decent matches that just bleed into each other. What they need ideally is a 4-5 month angle that involves whole brands/warring sides. It's been done to death I know, but something to wrap a theme around the creative until Survivor Series at least in what's an otherwise pretty forgettable period. Have a half dozen Triple H picks coming off looking better in time for January. 

The main takeaway though is that Becky Lynch should never, ever be a heel again. The second she dropped combining Wish carts with Seth Rollins the difference was unbelievable. I was sick to the back teeth of her act and general presence and now the idea of her coming back as a babyface in a few months to challenge Ronda at WrestleMania seems totally workable again, which is obviously where they want to go. 

Edited by Gay as FOOK

4 hours ago, Supremo said:

Multiple shitty non-finishes, dead crowd, guys still filling time by working double duty. It was the best episode they've had in ages, but that speaks more to how low the bar is than anything else. Shades of the dying days of NXT Black and Yellow. Triple H is trying, he does want to push new stars, and I do believe he has a better vision than Vince, but I don't have faith he can overcome the WWE brain worms. If this was supposed to be them making a statement then she's just a regular Malibu Stacy with a stupid, cheap hat.

But at least it was the crowd, as far as I could tell anyway.

The statement needed to be "hey, we can actually offer fresh matches and a watchable show" and I felt like they delivered that. It was certainly the first time in a long time where I didn't feel the need to skip through things.

You can't throw new faces out there without building them up first, and sensibly I think HHH knows that. There was a good effort to build the dynamic with Bayley and her new buddies, especially when most of the crowd won't know who they are.

Rest of the show was decent with some good matches and Ciampa's definitely benefitting. He'll win people over with his strong promos for sure.

Worst thing they could've done is just loaded it with surprise debut after debut after re-debut or whatever. That's not sustainable. Going back to basics and putting together a solid show.. that's what will win people over in the end.

One advantage that Triple H has on Tony Khan, is that he actually knows how to come across as likeable. Whether it's in media scrums, interviews or on social media, he generally does well. 

If the WWE product continues to improve, and it becomes a battle of personalities, it may be that people - viewers and potential signings - are inclined to gravitate towards Triple H, simply because Khan can be difficult to like. 

While I've not watched this episode of Raw, it sounds like a solid show, and I definitely feel more inclined to give it a try. I'll probably watch Smackdown this week, to see if the upward trajectory continues. 

He was never going to unpick the entire fabric of WWE’s product overnight, and ultimately he may never be able to.

It’s far easier to overhaul a developmental system as, by its very nature, it’ll have a huge churn of talent that you can mould as you see fit.

On the big shows, once you take receipt of these guys you’re essentially committed then to 10, 15 or 20 years sometimes; and they’ve already got a set way of working. People like The Miz, or Ziggles, or Corbin or name a dickhead aren’t going to be better because Triple H has inherited the Gorilla position. It’s in their blood.

That said, the little changes he can make seemed to be on display. Things had a purpose, an urgency.

But.. ultimately, WWE’s style is WWE’s style and that isn’t changing in the main anytime soon. You either like it or you don’t at this point, I think. For me, when it’s good it’s still my product of choice.

**I forgot to mention, the US Championship promo was sexy as fuck. Attempting to make secondary titles matter? Yes please. 

Edited by d-d-d-dAz