Awards Moderator Frankie Crisp Posted February 28 Author Awards Moderator Posted February 28 Did a double header at the picturehouse tonight. Send Help was brilliant. For the first time in decades, I went into a film having no idea what it was about and it added to the experience. Such a fun ride. McAdams gave, for me, the best performance of her career and I’d happily watch this again. Scream 7 was shite. Quote
Paid Members Weezenal Posted February 28 Paid Members Posted February 28 I didn’t mind Scream 7, got what I wanted from it. Some good kills and I got sucked into the nostalgia. This was following The Bride, which was really annoying and all over the place. I was excited after watching the trailer but a huge disappointment. This is why I try to avoid trailers. Quote
DavidB6937 Posted February 28 Posted February 28 Quite a lot I want to see at the cinema right now but had my girls so Hoppers it was. Easily the best Pixar movie in years. Really solid from start to finish and actually came out all wanting to see it again. Felt like it recaptured some of the old magic. Definitely weird seeing Toy Story 5 trailer before it. Makes me feel so old. Quote
Paid Members Statto Posted February 28 Paid Members Posted February 28 I'm genuinely buzzing to go see Hoppers. Directed by Daniel Chong who created We Bare Bears, which is one of the best TV shows of the last decade. Quote
Paid Members Hannibal Scorch Posted March 1 Paid Members Posted March 1 Scream 7 shite nonsensical bollocks. Hoppers Bat shit insane, felt like old Pixar. Really recommended. Quote
Paid Members johnnyboy Posted March 1 Paid Members Posted March 1 Scream 7 The horse has been flogged beyond death. Was it done entirely to beat Neve Campbell down for not being in Scream 6? Characters made mention of her not being in New York so much that it became distracting. Spoiler I'd have preferred it if they'd actually resurrected Stu somehow. Hoppers Absolutely magical. I laughed, I cried, I gasped out loud. I reckon they modelled Mayor Jerry's appearance on incoming DIsney CEO Josh D'Amaro. Quote
SaitoRyo Posted March 2 Posted March 2 Breathless (1983) I know he's meant to be a kooky and off the rails kind of guy, but I thought Richard Gere's character in this was just an insufferable dickhead and I didn't like spending time with him. I don't need my protagonists to be likeable (and he got less fucking annoying as the film went on), but for the first thirty minutes I was struggling. In saying that, there are things I liked about this, which is obviously very different to the Godard original. But during it I was struck with a feeling of 'I bet Tarantino absolutely loved this one' and, sure enough, he thinks it's one of the coolest films ever. Because it is trying very hard to be cool and sexy. And, to be fair, it succeeds with the latter because Richard Gere hangs dong a bunch and that young French lass he's pining for gets her kit off, too. Black Moon Rising Tommy Lee Jones is a CIA freelancer tasked with getting an important floppy disc full of vital information, which he stuffs in the superfast Black Moon car on the way to LA. The Black Moon then gets stolen and he must team up with some folks to get it back from a very secure building. Based on a story/script by Jim Carpenter. This was wonderfully eighties, from Linda Hamilton's big hair to the suspect special effects, the synth score and the incredibly naff sex scene. I'm sure 'Tommy Lee Jones sex scene' already has you sold, but I thought this was a real fun, largely forgotten genre film. One of the great things about Tubi (which is basically the modern-day equivalent of going to the video store) is discovering stuff like this. Good TLJ performance, as well as some good supporting ones in this stylish little crime action thriller. Malone This is the film the director of Bad Moon Rising (Harley Cokeliss) made after Bad Moon Rising. It stars Burt Reynolds as an ex-CIA guy who is looking for the quiet, normal life when he gets stranded in a town that's full of corruption, with a group of mercenaries attempting to buy everything up as families resist their strongarm tactics. This is late-80s, down-on-his-luck Burt, so he's not having a laugh with the boys, but he gives it a good go and is just naturally a captivating presence. I can't hate on it. It's not exceptional in any way, really, but as a 90-minute, small town conspiracy drama peppered with action, it works. Quote
cobra_gordo Posted March 2 Posted March 2 Scream 7. Well I enjoyed it. I make no secret of how much I love the franchise, even the often slagged off forth one and these most recent three (Episode V: The Scream Awakens, Episode VI: The Last Ghost Face and Episode VII: The Rise Of Sidney Prescott's Daughter Whose Name I Can't Remember) so I was always going to at least enjoy the newest one. They'll never top the original which is fine by me, it's creeping up on The Texas Chainsaw Massacre as my favourite horror film of all time, but I'm beyond needing something superior at this point, I just want to watch a fun slasher film. Also at the end of the day the worst Scream sequel will always be leagues above the last two Halloween films....... They did a good job of making me give a shit about the new characters (which I certainly didn't in Scream 3) and the cameos and call backs were nicely done I thought. They've always had Ghostface using all sorts of technology to hide his identity and I liked what they did here, gave it a nice twist. My least favourite thing about Scream films is the Ghostface reveal at the end, it always feels anticlimactic, and this was no exception as we'd guessed who was under the mask quite early on- it's not subtle at all. And that's my only real negative. There's some really creative kills but also some beautiful shots where you just get a glimpse of Ghostface including one where the mask briefly appears in a hanging sheet and then fades, top stuff. It might only be a 3.5 out of five but I'll 100% be watching it again. Full marks though to the drunk lady in the cinema who was behaving so badly she almost got our entre row thrown out as the cinema staff assumed we were all together. She started during the trailers, loudly asking "WHAT FILM IS THIS FOR THEN?" for multiple films. Love, it'll be written on the screen in big letters in about 2 minutes. She then took a facetime call just as the film started and I knew this because she kept loudly telling the person on the other end of the phone that the film had just started. She vaped, she swore and she somehow got lost trying to leave for a piss and then declared "I'M BACK NOW" at the top of her voice when she came back in. Didn't help our case as she was being chucked out shouting to us all "I'LL SEE YOU IN THE COCKTAIL BAR AFTER YEAH?". We did not. Quote
Paid Members Lorne Malvo Posted March 2 Paid Members Posted March 2 2 hours ago, SaitoRyo said: Breathless (1983) I know he's meant to be a kooky and off the rails kind of guy, but I thought Richard Gere's character in this was just an insufferable dickhead and I didn't like spending time with him. I don't need my protagonists to be likeable (and he got less fucking annoying as the film went on), but for the first thirty minutes I was struggling. Faithful to the Godard original then! Like you say, I don't need the lead in a film to be likeable or relatable in anyway, but I find the character (in both Gere and Belmondo iterations) to be so much of a one-note boring miserable prick that it means I struggle to engage with either version. Both of them can do one. Quote
SaitoRyo Posted March 2 Posted March 2 29 minutes ago, cobra_gordo said: Full marks though to the drunk lady in the cinema who was behaving so badly she almost got our entre row thrown out as the cinema staff assumed we were all together. She started during the trailers, loudly asking "WHAT FILM IS THIS FOR THEN?" for multiple films. Love, it'll be written on the screen in big letters in about 2 minutes. She then took a facetime call just as the film started and I knew this because she kept loudly telling the person on the other end of the phone that the film had just started. She vaped, she swore and she somehow got lost trying to leave for a piss and then declared "I'M BACK NOW" at the top of her voice when she came back in. Didn't help our case as she was being chucked out shouting to us all "I'LL SEE YOU IN THE COCKTAIL BAR AFTER YEAH?". We did not. I was meant to go and see Scream VII at the cinema the other day, but me and then my wife got ill with some sort of cold/virus and didn't make it. I wasn't really that arsed about missing it, to be honest. I like the original three films, but didn't care much for the fourth and the last couple were quite poor/forgettable in my opinion. It'll be something I stick on when it inevitably lands on a streaming service. @Lorne Malvo I haven't seen the original Breathless for a long, long time. It was one of those seminal films we studied at Uni, in the context of the French New Wave (and post-war European cinema in general). So I don't remember the main character being especially annoying, but I really did struggle with Gere. And I generally like Gere, especially in that era. He was just an irritating bore and I ended up rooting for his demise. Quote
Paid Members johnnyboy Posted March 2 Paid Members Posted March 2 7 hours ago, cobra_gordo said: Episode VII: The Rise Of Sidney Prescott's Daughter Whose Name I Can't Remember Temu Quote
davertfnewman Posted March 2 Posted March 2 7 hours ago, cobra_gordo said: Full marks though to the drunk lady in the cinema who was behaving so badly she almost got our entre row thrown out as the cinema staff assumed we were all together. She started during the trailers, loudly asking "WHAT FILM IS THIS FOR THEN?" for multiple films. Love, it'll be written on the screen in big letters in about 2 minutes. She then took a facetime call just as the film started and I knew this because she kept loudly telling the person on the other end of the phone that the film had just started. She vaped, she swore and she somehow got lost trying to leave for a piss and then declared "I'M BACK NOW" at the top of her voice when she came back in. Didn't help our case as she was being chucked out shouting to us all "I'LL SEE YOU IN THE COCKTAIL BAR AFTER YEAH?". We did not. I was at a film at a fairly decent cinema where the woman next to me was taking selfies with her son close to showtime, then when it started she was recording the opening. I figured just to show off the film she was at but she kept it going as long as she could until I told her to put it away because all I could see out of the corner of my eye was the light on her phone, which she tutted at and put it away begrudgingly. Quote
Paid Members Jazzy G Posted March 2 Paid Members Posted March 2 Was in the mood to watch a film before bed the other night when I spotted that The Producers is on iPlayer at the moment. The original with Zero Mostel and Gene Wilder. Brilliant film. The cast bounce off each other so well. Hadn't seen it for a while. You always forget how short it is, but it's not a problem. Plenty of great films were short back then. Nowadays almost everything has to be two and a half hours long. The art of the short film appears to have fallen by the wayside. Give me something that does everything it needs to in an hour and a half now and again. Quote
SaitoRyo Posted March 4 Posted March 4 House of Games This has been on my 'to watch' list forever and I wish I hadn't waited so long to get around to it, because it is excellent. It's about a female psychiatrist and successful author who gets roped into a shady world populated by confidence men who pull scams. Written and directed by David Mamet (in his directorial debut), it is full of atmosphere and tension. Dialogue is on-point, as you would expect. The studio apparently wanted to make it with big stars (and thus a bigger budget), but Mamet resisted and instead made it with his wife (actress Linsday Crouse, who is great), as well as a bunch of his mates like Joe Mantegna, JT Walsh and Ricky Jay. The film is much better for it. Quote
Paid Members Jesse Posted March 4 Paid Members Posted March 4 Sounds a bit different to he Richard Osman adaptation Quote
Recommended Posts
Join the conversation
You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.