Paid Members Lorne Malvo Posted March 23 Paid Members Posted March 23 On 3/21/2026 at 2:36 PM, Devon Malcolm said: Whistle Absolutely appalling horror film that's based entirely around people making the stupidest decisions possible. Nick Frost's career took quite the dive, didn't it. I thought this was absolute shite too, and was quite surprised to see its had some half-decent reviews. I get a real grubby 'check his hard drive' feeling everytime I see Nick Frost now, bloke full-on gives me the creeps. Quote
Paid Members Chris B Posted March 23 Paid Members Posted March 23 On 3/21/2026 at 2:36 PM, Devon Malcolm said: Shortbus Briefly notorious comedy-drama about a New York sex club. Basically a high art porn film with slightly better acting. Not as good as has been claimed but quite sweet in its own way. I'm very fond of this one, and tend to liken it to Secretary, in terms of films that seem like they're mainly about sex/kink, but are actually pretty gentle romantic comedies that also handle mental health more directly than a bunch of films. It's also had a few proper laughs in it (the 'I'm pre-orgasmic', '...do you mean you're about to have one?' line had me legitimately laughing out loud). To be fair, I think there's been better since, but I also found it frustrating that it wasn't legitimately available for so long. Especially when depressing shite like Nymphomaniac and Brown Bunny were kind of seen as what films with actual sex in were about. Quote
SaitoRyo Posted March 25 Posted March 25 (edited) Heart of Midnight Jennifer Jason Leigh plays a young woman who is recovering after having a mental breakdown and hopes to get her life back on track after inheriting a nightclub from her uncle. Unfortunately, the club is a seedy, creepy old place where her uncle did a lot of weird sex stuff (and worse). I wanted to like this one more than I did, as it's visually quite stunning at points and JJL is very good. But it just felt like a lot of redundant, 'Lynchian' weirdness for the sake of weirdness and never quite took off like I thought it would. Saw it described as a 'psychosexual haunted house film', which about sums it up. Frank Stallone plays a cop who'd rather be a country music singer, while Steve Buscemi has an early role as a real piece of shit. Hollywood 90028 A photographer and cameraman working in early 70s LA wants to make serious, meaningful films, but gets trapped shooting short porn films instead. Clearly mentally unwell, he begins to murder some of the women he encounters as his life starts to spiral. This was a really interesting one, as you go in expecting a run-of-the-mill exploitation film - and the first ten or fifteen minutes make you think that's what you're watching - but it becomes apparent that it's actually much more than that and actually closer to a proper art film at times, or something like one of the better giallo films of the era. Boogie Nights meets Taxi Driver, basically. Edited March 25 by SaitoRyo Quote
Moderators Chest Rockwell Posted March 25 Moderators Posted March 25 You watch some really interesting stuff that I'm sure I'll never watch but I always enjoy reading your posts.. Quote
Paid Members Carbomb Posted March 25 Paid Members Posted March 25 On 3/23/2026 at 8:20 AM, SaitoRyo said: Middle Eastern terrorist Gene Simmons (yes really) Well, he is Israeli, so not as far removed as you think. Quote
SaitoRyo Posted March 25 Posted March 25 45 minutes ago, Carbomb said: Well, he is Israeli, so not as far removed as you think. I know that now, it's just that seeing him as the main villain in this was a little odd! He wasn't actually bad in it, but he didn't have a whole lot to do, either. Quote
Paid Members gmoney Posted March 25 Paid Members Posted March 25 He's also the main villain in Runaways. Which he is bad in. Quote
Paid Members Devon Malcolm Posted March 25 Paid Members Posted March 25 6 hours ago, gmoney said: He's also the main villain in Runaways. Which he is bad in. Love that film though, despite him. Michael Crichton made some cracking films. Quote
Paid Members gmoney Posted March 25 Paid Members Posted March 25 Oh aye, it's good, solid fun. I'm fascinated by Michael Crichton. He's had one of the oddest careers in Hollywood. The year after Jurassic Park came out, came the adaptation of another novel of his, fucking Disclosure. I can hardly think of two more disparate things. And he was 6 foot fucking 9. Quote
Paid Members Devon Malcolm Posted March 25 Paid Members Posted March 25 13 minutes ago, gmoney said: Oh aye, it's good, solid fun. I'm fascinated by Michael Crichton. He's had one of the oddest careers in Hollywood. The year after Jurassic Park came out, came the adaptation of another novel of his, fucking Disclosure. I can hardly think of two more disparate things. And he was 6 foot fucking 9. I want to know if the book Congo was half as mental as the film. Quote
TheHighlightReel Posted March 25 Posted March 25 1 minute ago, Devon Malcolm said: I want to know if the book Congo was half as mental as the film. Watching this film whilst ill was not a good idea. Felt like a fever dream. Quote
Paid Members Devon Malcolm Posted March 25 Paid Members Posted March 25 6 minutes ago, TheHighlightReel said: Watching this film whilst ill was not a good idea. Felt like a fever dream. That gorilla really did drink a martini, for the record. Quote
Paid Members Jesse Posted March 25 Paid Members Posted March 25 1 hour ago, Devon Malcolm said: I want to know if the book Congo was half as mental as the film. I've only read the book, not seen the film, but it's pretty mental. Quote
Paid Members Devon Malcolm Posted March 25 Paid Members Posted March 25 2 minutes ago, Jesse said: I've only read the book, not seen the film, but it's pretty mental. Oh you must watch it. There's nothing quite like it. Quote
Moderators Chest Rockwell Posted March 25 Moderators Posted March 25 Uh . I mean, I'm guessing the book is something like it .. Quote
Recommended Posts
Join the conversation
You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.