SaitoRyo Posted March 10 Posted March 10 4 hours ago, DEF said: Not that this would necessarily make any difference but you should know. When Tourist Trap was released on Blu-ray in both the US and UK it was missing 5 minutes and also somehow a cut of the movie that was out of sequence. So depending on how you watched it if it's the same transfer used on those discs it's not the film as it was intended. It was Tourist Trap (Uncut) on Tubi, which was a good few minutes longer than the other Tourist Trap on there. Quote
Paid Members BomberPat Posted March 10 Paid Members Posted March 10 If it's the movie I'm thinking of (1979), I can't imagine how five minutes in either direction would make any difference. None of the characters are likeable (most of them are barely characters), and the plot just kind of meanders along to the only possible conclusion, aiming for Psycho but landing on Scooby Doo. The only thing that makes it slightly interesting is that at various points the killer seems to have telekinetic powers, which are never questioned or explained. Quote
SaitoRyo Posted March 10 Posted March 10 50 minutes ago, BomberPat said: If it's the movie I'm thinking of (1979), I can't imagine how five minutes in either direction would make any difference. None of the characters are likeable (most of them are barely characters), and the plot just kind of meanders along to the only possible conclusion, aiming for Psycho but landing on Scooby Doo. The only thing that makes it slightly interesting is that at various points the killer seems to have telekinetic powers, which are never questioned or explained. It's the one you're thinking. And it is shite, despite having a reputation as being some surprisingly good early slasher. I was mad at myself for sitting through the whole thing. Anyway, last night I watched... Back Roads (1981) Road movie about two losers, a hooker with a heart of gold (Sally Fields) and a low-level boxer bum (Tommy Lee Jones), who get tangled up in each other's dead-end lives and decide to head to LA to change their fortunes. It's pretty good and both leads put in decent performances. They reportedly really didn't like each other and clashed during the making of the film, but they have solid chemistry on-screen. It's got a weird tone, in that it's rather gritty and quite bleak some of the time, but is punctuated by moments of farce/slapstick. E. Emmet Walsh shows up for a scene, because he always does, doesn't he? It was directed by Martin Ritt, who did two other films with Fields - Norma Rae and Murphy's Romance. I really enjoyed the latter and she won a Best Actress Oscar for the former, which I'll endeavour to check out. Anyway, I'd recommend Back Roads for anyone who wants an under-the-radar road romance featuring characters from the underclass. Quote
Paid Members Devon Malcolm Posted March 10 Paid Members Posted March 10 Add me to the list of people who thought Tourist Trap was shite. No idea which version I watched though. It's highly thought of in horror nerd circles but I don't see it at all. Quote
Paid Members Jazzy G Posted March 10 Paid Members Posted March 10 I fancied watching something this past Sunday before I went out and ended up watching Marcel The Shell With Shoes On. I had no idea what to expect from it, but I loved it. Very emotional and I had a little cry afterwards, but I really appreciate having watched it. The relationship between Marcel and Nana Connie had some parallels my relationship with my mum towards the end of her time. Quote
Paid Members Hannibal Scorch Posted March 10 Paid Members Posted March 10 (edited) 2 hours ago, Jazzy G said: I fancied watching something this past Sunday before I went out and ended up watching Marcel The Shell With Shoes On. I had no idea what to expect from it, but I loved it. Very emotional and I had a little cry afterwards, but I really appreciate having watched it. The relationship between Marcel and Nana Connie had some parallels my relationship with my mum towards the end of her time. It’s a lovely film that. Wish more people aware about it. Edited March 10 by Hannibal Scorch Quote
Paid Members Jazzy G Posted March 10 Paid Members Posted March 10 It's just so sweet and wholesome. I do remember talking to my mum about it because we'd both seen a trailer for it but nobody to see it with. She had a cinema buddy, but she knew it wouldn't be something she'd want to watch, and I probably wouldn't be able to convince my ex to see it with me. I'm so glad I finally watched it. "I don't want him to think he can't have a life because he's worried about me." was pretty much how my mum went out, especially once I was with Vicky rather than us just being friends. Quote
Paid Members LaGoosh Posted March 11 Paid Members Posted March 11 We Bury The Dead - why is every modern horror film about grief? It's so boring! A few creepy images but mostly a dud. Hopefully Daisy Ridley will soon find a good project to pull her out this career rut she's in. Quote
Paid Members Jesse Posted March 12 Paid Members Posted March 12 Housemate badgered me into watching How To Make a Killing last night and it was total bollocks. I like Glenn even in middling nothing films like Running Man, but he couldn't get me through this. There's nothing to hook into this at all. Despite the framing device being the protagonist's narration there's effectively no interiority to anything he's doing. Just watching a kind of annoying guy do things with no interest in the resolution. Any time it seems like they might put something interesting on-screen we cut back to the narration and skip over it. Hang your head in shame Glenn, this isn't what Tom would want. Thinking about becoming a Timothee Chalamet guy instead. Quote
Paid Members Devon Malcolm Posted March 12 Paid Members Posted March 12 1 hour ago, Jesse said: Housemate badgered me into watching How To Make a Killing last night and it was total bollocks. I like Glenn even in middling nothing films like Running Man, but he couldn't get me through this. There's nothing to hook into this at all. Despite the framing device being the protagonist's narration there's effectively no interiority to anything he's doing. Just watching a kind of annoying guy do things with no interest in the resolution. Any time it seems like they might put something interesting on-screen we cut back to the narration and skip over it. Hang your head in shame Glenn, this isn't what Tom would want. Thinking about becoming a Timothee Chalamet guy instead. Yeah I like Glen Powell but I haven't even considered going to see this, even for Jessica Henwick. Quote
Paid Members Jesse Posted March 12 Paid Members Posted March 12 Watching it almost directly after No Other Choice didn't do it any favours either. Quote
SaitoRyo Posted March 13 Posted March 13 Full Moon in Blue Water Gene Hackman is mourning the death of his wife and has let his bar and grill on a small island on the South Coast of Texas go to shit. As some unscrupulous fellas try to buy it from under him, Teri Garr endeavours to help him back on his feet and the bar back to its best. I liked this, because I'm all about small-town comedies/dramas/romances and Hackman and Garr are both eminently watchable. It gets a bit wonky in the final third as they try and raise the stakes, but overall it's a good time. You can tell the writer was also a playwright, as it primarily takes place in and around the bar, but that's no bad thing for this type of story, which is really about lonely, vulnerable people finding each other. Burgess Meredith steals things as the Hackman's ill-tempered and senile father-in-law, while Elias Koteas is decent as a local lad who helps out around the bar and really doesn't want to go back to the mental institution he had previously been placed in. Quote
Paid Members Hannibal Scorch Posted March 14 Paid Members Posted March 14 I haven’t read the book but we had a rare cinema trip to see Project Hail Mary with my wife and daughter. Wife suggested seeing it in IMAX as she heard great things (really she just has a crush on Gosling). On advice here I avoided the trailers. We all thought it was incredible. Best movie of 2026 already? Possibly. Felt the same after seeing Sinners last year around the same time. It’s one of those “Filmed for IMAX” rather than Filmed With IMAX. Still looked great on a big screen and the sound was fantastic. See it on a big screen. Quote
Paid Members Gus Mears Posted March 15 Paid Members Posted March 15 Hoppers. Great stuff, and the most I've laughed at a Pixar film. Suffers slightly from lobbing too much shit at the wall to try and make the plot work, but even when the third act gets a bit loose it remains extremely funny and goes on at such a pace that you don't care. Quote
DavidB6937 Posted March 15 Posted March 15 Project Hail Mary I'd seen enough trailer wise to be very interested in it. Took mum for Mothers Day because who doesn't want to spend a few hours with Ryan Gosling. Plus it's always interesting to see her views on movies and I did sit through Elvis for her last week. Phenomenal. Visually stunning. Gosling was genuinely perfect for that role. Captured the human element and all the different emotions all through and you couldn't help but be completely and utterly invested. I'd go see it again right now if I could. And I'd probably still cry at the emotional bits. Absolutely no shame. Quote
Recommended Posts
Join the conversation
You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.