Paid Members Jesse Posted February 7 Paid Members Posted February 7 No Other Choice It's not a patch on Decision To Leave but I enjoyed it still. It was a lot goofier than I was expecting, had some proper belly laughs at points. Park Chan-wook maintains his streak of finding fun ways to use screens on camera. The Housemaid Sydney Sweeney is perfect for thrillers that get a bit sexy a third of the way in and she should stick to doing those. This drags in the middle but otherwise was a lot of fun. Lovely to see Amanda Seyfried back on my telly. Quote
DavidB6937 Posted February 7 Posted February 7 Thought I'd go full cinema today with an interesting mix. The Day the Earth Blew Up: A Looney Tunes Movie Got a real soft spot for old school Looney Tunes. Plus it was the earliest film on today and no one else was in it. A good mix of daft young humour and adult humour. GOAT More animation but a modern style similar to K Pop Demon Hunters and the Spider-verse movies. Pretty run of the mill underdog story but I liked the visual style. Hamlet Confusing having this and Hamnet out at the same time. Contemporary setting for one of Shakespeare's best with a Hindu background. Led by Riz Ahmed of Rogue One and The Night Of fame. Actually really loved this. Thought the cast were exceptional and the setting made it feel really fresh yet still as powerful as ever. Tough if you don't like Shakespeare but I think the performances carry the challenging dialogue. Shelter Jason Statham. You know what you're getting. You either like him or you don't and this isn't going to change any opinions. I did have concerns over Bodhi Rae Breathnach because an annoying kid performance can really ruin a film but she was pretty decent to be fair. Should have a bright future ahead of her. Daniel Mays is also in it just to warn people. Quote
Moderators Chest Rockwell Posted February 7 Moderators Posted February 7 Jexi Holy shit this is a bad film. I know Adam Devine has his haters but I think it's a testament to his talents that he managed to wrest a smile and actual laugh out of me a few times in this piece of shit. Please Don't Destroy: the treasure of foggy mountain Now this is more like it. This is the stupid comedy that I was looking for. Dumb humour done well. I have seen a couple SNL bits these guys did that I liked, I don't know if they have done anything else but I hope to see more of them. Also Conan is in it, and the guy who played Lloyd in Entourage. Man Up Not very good British romcom, but I'm a sucker for watching stuff shot in London. It was watchable but I can't say I recommend it. Quote
cobra_gordo Posted February 8 Posted February 8 (edited) 8 hours ago, Devon Malcolm said: Send Help Terrific fun almost the whole way through. I'm not in love with the final stretch but it was at least satisfactory. Rachel McAdams vs the boar is an all-timer. I've really missed Sam Raimi This was pretty much my exact feelings about it. It's such a great film but something about the very end didn't feel right to me. My wife and eldest both thought it was a perfect way to end though so what do I know. Like you say though, the boar scene is amazing and it's so brilliantly visceral in places. It was interesting in our showing as I don't think some people realised going in that it was going to be as funny as it was so they weren't laughing, almost like they didn't realise they could. And then they dropped their guards. Some of the reactions later on were as enjoyable to be around as the film itself. Genuinely can't wait to watch it again. Edited February 8 by cobra_gordo Quote
davertfnewman Posted February 8 Posted February 8 Platoon Saw it was coming off Netflix soon and have never watched it, so for a gap in a Saturday evening I put it on. A really interesting and at times shocking film. It's a Vietnam War film so you'd think there would be clear "enemies" or "bad guys" in it but the rivalries and issues are instead between the men in the platoon with anybody they fight or kill mostly unnamed or treated as superfluous and not worthy of living (the lame guy in the hut and the wife who stands up for her husband and village). In some ways it could've been set inside a prison with the groups and sides that form and how they act towards one another. It's definitely a template film that others would aspire to be like. Quote
Paid Members johnnyboy Posted February 8 Paid Members Posted February 8 (edited) The Red Shoes - iPlayer Before you get excited this is nothing to do with David Duchovny and his softcore Red Shoe Diaries. A ballet based on the fairytale of The Red Shoes is to be written and performed. In the fairytale the wearer of the shoes cannot stop dancing. If you've seen the film "In Fabric" imagine that made in the 1940s with shoes. I absolutely loved this. However, the actors are wearing a ton of slap. This must have been a fairly early colour film so I'm not entirely sure if it was a reaction to filming in colour in the 40s, or it was to give the feel that we were always on the stage even when the characters were out of the theatre. I've not seen enough colour films from the 40s to work that out. Edited February 8 by johnnyboy Quote
Paid Members Devon Malcolm Posted February 8 Paid Members Posted February 8 1 hour ago, johnnyboy said: I absolutely loved this. However, the actors are wearing a ton of slap. This must have been a fairly early colour film so I'm not entirely sure if it was a reaction to filming in colour in the 40s, or it was to give the feel that we were always on the stage even when the characters were out of the theatre. I've not seen enough colour films from the 40s to work that out. Exactly this. They wanted to make sure there was an overtly theatrical air to everything. Such as the bit where Moira Shearer gets out of bed and walks over to her dresser on tiptoes. It's one of the greatest films ever made, isn't it. Quote
Paid Members johnnyboy Posted February 8 Paid Members Posted February 8 1 minute ago, Devon Malcolm said: It's one of the greatest films ever made, isn't it. It's tremendous. I'm putting the restoration bluray on my Christmas list already. Quote
davertfnewman Posted February 8 Posted February 8 Full Metal Jacket Following on from yesterday's viewing of Platoon. Think I preferred this one. The first part could be a movie on its own but is better just for being the first part. Second part gives us some equally iconic scenes and lines. I particularly like the creepy parts, some lit in blue, with the strange hum sound. A not-dissimilar technique used later in Donnie Darko. Quote
SaitoRyo Posted February 8 Posted February 8 10 hours ago, johnnyboy said: The Red Shoes - iPlayer Before you get excited this is nothing to do with David Duchovny and his softcore Red Shoe Diaries. A ballet based on the fairytale of The Red Shoes is to be written and performed. In the fairytale the wearer of the shoes cannot stop dancing. If you've seen the film "In Fabric" imagine that made in the 1940s with shoes. I absolutely loved this. However, the actors are wearing a ton of slap. This must have been a fairly early colour film so I'm not entirely sure if it was a reaction to filming in colour in the 40s, or it was to give the feel that we were always on the stage even when the characters were out of the theatre. I've not seen enough colour films from the 40s to work that out. A visually stunning film, up there with the best-looking films ever imo. Always had a soft spot for it as it was one of my Grandma's favourites and I remember how chuffed she was when I got her a special edition DVD of it one Christmas (RIP Grandma). Anyway, after using it to kick off the Identify The Film Game thread (and speaking of films that look fucking fantastic), I had to go back and watch To Live and Die in LA again. I've seen it two or three times before but not for a long, long time. I've always loved it, but I think it might actually be even better than I thought it was. You've got Robby Muller's exquisite cinematography, evil Willem Dafoe, a belting Wang Chung soundtrack, one of the best car chases ever filmed and shady detectives of questionable moral fibre drinking Miller High Life and smoking cigarettes in dive bars during the day. What more could you want? Seriously, tell me, because this one probably has it. It's got everything. A total 80s classic and I definitely won't be waiting another decade or so before my next re-watch. Quote
Paid Members LaGoosh Posted February 9 Paid Members Posted February 9 If I Had Legs I Would Kick You Parenting is a wonderful, incredible thing. But it's also insanely hard, exhausting and mentally challenging. And sometimes there's those bad times as a parent where you feel like everything is on a knife edge, everything is on the verge of collapsing, everything is going wrong then more stuff goes wrong, everyone around you seems to be doing everything possible to make life just that little bit more difficult, no one is helping, you're anxious, your kid is being insanely fucking annoying and making things even harder, you feel guilty for everything not being ok and guilty for being fed up and miserable and not being the parent you should be and on top of all of that you're just so tired. Well basically this film perfectly captures that feeling and I don't think a film has ever captured that feeling before. It's also incredibly dark and funny. Rose Byrne is brilliant and Conan O'Brien plays fantastically against type. He has a monologue about rodents that had me howling at the end. Highly recommend. Quote
Paid Members mim731 Posted February 9 Paid Members Posted February 9 Not sure if it's already been mentioned, but MUBI's 3 months for a pound deal finishes today I believe, so if you want to get in on what is a pretty sensational deal, you better hurry up! Quote
Paid Members Devon Malcolm Posted February 9 Paid Members Posted February 9 1 hour ago, mim731 said: Not sure if it's already been mentioned, but MUBI's 3 months for a pound deal finishes today I believe, so if you want to get in on what is a pretty sensational deal, you better hurry up! I'm going to be the irritating woke prick here and point out that Mubi's owners have been revealed to have ties to the IDF. It is a great deal though! Quote
Paid Members mim731 Posted February 9 Paid Members Posted February 9 33 minutes ago, Devon Malcolm said: I'm going to be the irritating woke prick here and point out that Mubi's owners have been revealed to have ties to the IDF. It is a great deal though! I did not know this, thanks for sharing. Although they already have my pound now so I may as well use it for the three months, will cancel after that. Quote
Paid Members Devon Malcolm Posted February 9 Paid Members Posted February 9 10 minutes ago, mim731 said: I did not know this, thanks for sharing. Although they already have my pound now so I may as well use it for the three months, will cancel after that. Like you say, it's only a quid. I've given them hundreds of pounds over the years, sadly. Quote
Recommended Posts
Join the conversation
You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.