Mr_Danger Posted January 22 Posted January 22 The Rip- Remember how films used to be? There very well may be a series of these films, Den of Thieves got a sequel after all but for now it’s just a really solid fun time. Leave your brain at the door and just enjoy the goings on. Not only elevated by its cast (although Steven Yeun is far better than his billing here) but elevated by its director. Affleck is good at these things. Which leads me to Air. All the tension and drama of a sports film only about shoes. I enjoyed it and I especially enjoyed Affleck as the yuppy with a heart boss of Nike. They must have been really tempted to give him a coke habit, it was the only thing missing from his character! Its a shame the lads are shilling these films to streaming services but at least they’re getting made and they’re well worth the price of admission. I’ll look forward to Good Will Hunting 2: Hunting Season over at Apple or something. Quote
Members SuperBacon Posted January 22 Members Posted January 22 1 minute ago, Mr_Danger said: Its a shame the lads are shilling these films to streaming services but at least they’re getting made and they’re well worth the price of admission. I’ll look forward to Good Will Hunting 2: Hunting Season over at Apple or something. Yeah but as I mentioned On 1/16/2026 at 11:25 PM, SuperBacon said: Top, top lads. Quote
Paid Members Devon Malcolm Posted January 24 Paid Members Posted January 24 No Other Choice (cinema) Another cracker from Park Chan-wook. Not *quite* up to the standard of Decision to Leave and The Handmaiden and maybe slightly too long, but much funnier than I was expecting and brilliantly acted. A great time. Mercy (cinema) I think if this had been made in the 90s by Cannon or someone with Gary Daniels in the lead, it would have been fun junk. But no, we get Chris Pratt and a load of pro-AI propaganda. This could have been a good laugh. It was not. The Rip As reported, decent. Amazing that Joe Carnahan's previous film was Shadow Force, arguably the worst film of last year. Undoubtedly helped by having such a bizarrely great cast but I enjoyed it. Bugonia I've just had enough of Yorgos Lanthimos. This is probably his least weird film but the trade off is that it's very slow and very boring. I wasn't a huge fan of Save the Green Planet though either so maybe this was never going to work for me. Nuremberg Rami Malek is the worst high profile actor on the planet. Absolutely does not work in any role apart from, apparently, Freddie Mercury. In fairness this isn't very good anyway although I do like to imagine that they waited until Russell Crowe got fat enough to play Goring before they went into production. One More Shot As discussed elsewhere, an Aussie timeloop comedy that didn't work for me because of how depressing and unfunny it is. Nice to see Emily Browning getting some work though. Tornado Weird action drama set in 1700s Scotland about a young Japanese woman who avenges her father's death against Tim Roth's band of robbers. A nice idea but takes over an hour to get going. Not for me. Kill the Jockey Argentinian crime comedy about a jockey trying to escape from the clutches of a crime syndicate who are fixing races. Very, very silly and requires a very specific daft sense of humour to work. Stars both Mariama di Girolamo and Ursula Corbero though, so at the very least worth watching for them. I really liked it. Goodbye Julia Sudanese drama about a woman who employs the widow of a man who her husband shot in 'self-defence'. One of the best films of last year, beautifully acted with a stunning final half an hour especially. The Woman in Cabin 10 Between this and the Joe Wilkinson adverts, maybe Keira Knightley needs a new agent. This isn't competely awful but it's also never good. Guy Pearce with a career worst performance and Hannah Waddingham isn't far behind. Sorry, Baby Rewatched it to confirm if it's the best film of last year. It is. Beautiful, sad and hilarious in precisely equal measures. I'm in love with it. Quote
Members SuperBacon Posted January 24 Members Posted January 24 7 minutes ago, Devon Malcolm said: Nuremberg Rami Malek is the worst high profile actor on the planet. Absolutely does not work in any role apart from, apparently, Freddie Mercury. In fairness this isn't very good anyway although I do like to imagine that they waited until Russell Crowe got fat enough to play Goring before they went into production. I enjoyed the film despite Malek, who ruins everything. There's a bit in one of the It's Always Sunny pods where they're clearly talking about him but they bleep out the name as they're running him down slightly, and Glenn Howerton says "I don't even think he's acting, he's just weird" and now I can't unsee that. Quote
Paid Members Supremo Posted January 24 Paid Members Posted January 24 Halloween Ends My marathon through all the Halloween/Friday the 13th/Nightmare on Elm Street movies that I started in October limps to a miserable conclusion. I’d put this off for ages because I remember it being rubbish, but it was even worse watching it again. A complete mess. They just about got away with it with the original reboot in 2018, but Halloween Kills was mostly crap and then this is a fucking joke. It Ends Now we’re talking! Minimalist, Gen Z existential horror about four college students driving home, who suddenly find themselves stuck in a time loop, on a never-ending road. For a cheap indie movie this was incredibly enjoyable, with some really impressive acting. Highly recommended. Quote
Rob247 Posted January 24 Posted January 24 Where did you watch it end's? Sounds like a really good movie Quote
Paid Members Devon Malcolm Posted January 24 Paid Members Posted January 24 3 minutes ago, Rob247 said: Where did you watch it end's? Sounds like a really good movie It's knocking about online in some nefarious places. It's getting a cinema release this year. Quote
DavidB6937 Posted January 24 Posted January 24 Stitch Head Cutesy horror comedy animation. Only went because it fitted time wise and definitely not because Fern Brady was one of the voices. Kids would enjoy it. Nothing spectacular but I've seen far worse. Mercy I mean it looked pretty shit from the poster and whatever clips I'd seen so it really just lived up to expectations. Pratt isn't a good serious actor. Rebecca Ferguson did her best all things considered but even she couldn't pull it through. Not even a Parks and Rec cameo made this worth watching. I won't make one of the many obvious jokes about the title. Rental Family Brendan Fraser being Brendan Fraser in Japan and I'm not mad about it. He's just so soft and genuine and likeable that he carries a role like this effortlessly. Hit all the right emotional spots. Quote
Paid Members Lorne Malvo Posted January 24 Paid Members Posted January 24 6 hours ago, Devon Malcolm said: Mercy (cinema) I think if this had been made in the 90s by Cannon or someone with Gary Daniels in the lead, it would have been fun junk. But no, we get Chris Pratt and a load of pro-AI propaganda. This could have been a good laugh. It was not. Chris Pratt is such a fucking idiot, isn't he. They interviewed him on the Empire Podcast about this film and he came out with some utter bullshit about how AI is a good thing because the people who lose their jobs in Hollywood to AI can go work in the care sector instead. I'm paraphrasing wildly, but that was essentially the gist of it. Spoiler Regarding the film, I could stomach most of the pro-AI bollocks right up until the very end, when they had Pratt come out with something close to the 'You're not so different, you and I' line - to a FUCKING ARITIFICIAL INTELLIGENCE. I rolled my eyes so hard they're still hurting now. Andy Dwyer seems like a lifetime ago now. Quote
Paid Members FLips Posted January 24 Paid Members Posted January 24 Assault on Precinct 13: Megablast The moment that girl got blasted the film never let up, and you figured after that anyone was fair game. The bloke playing Napoleon is oddly charismatic and I’m sure someone on here had him as their avatar for years. Excellent film, excellent score. Whole thing is filmed like a zombie movie the same way parts of Escape from New York was. John Carpenter has an excellent body of work in the 70s and 80s doesn’t he? Quote
davertfnewman Posted January 25 Posted January 25 I wondered that too. "Could I be right? Could that be... Kid Dynamite?!" Quote
Paid Members mim731 Posted January 25 Paid Members Posted January 25 A reference to this perhaps? Given its got the subtitle Hip Hop on Precinct 13? Quote
Paid Members FLips Posted January 25 Paid Members Posted January 25 1 hour ago, mim731 said: A reference to this perhaps? Given its got the subtitle Hip Hop on Precinct 13? That’s exactly it, but this is where I mostly know it from. Despite being in the title of the song, it never occurred to me it was from the actual film. Imagine my excitement. Quote
organizedkaos Posted January 25 Posted January 25 It also samples the theme. Speaking of the theme tune, this version was meant to be in the film and never was (outside of the Italian release apparently). Its great https://fbnmldn.bandcamp.com/track/you-cant-fight-it-riccio-rerub Quote
Recommended Posts
Join the conversation
You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.