Merzbow Posted January 4 Posted January 4 Nuremberg was such a mess, for some reason they thought it was a good idea to load the first part with Marvel level quips. Quote
Paid Members Jesse Posted January 4 Paid Members Posted January 4 Went and saw Marty Supreme for my first cinema trip of the year. I've never been much of a Chalamet fan up until now. I enjoyed the Dune movies but not much for what he's giving it on-screen and I thought the hype was a little overblown for him but I was so wrong. He's phenomenal in this, and it's also made me realised I've been missing out on the Safdies. Booked in for Good Time on Friday about an hour after I walked out of the cinema. Quote
Merzbow Posted January 4 Posted January 4 46 minutes ago, Jesse said: Good Time Brilliant film and my introduction to them, went in for Robert Pattinson and came out loving the Safdie's just as much. Quote
Paid Members Devon Malcolm Posted January 9 Paid Members Posted January 9 Sentimental Value (cinema) I'd marked this down as the most likely contender for best film of last year alongside Sorry, Baby based on Joachim Trier's previous awesome films and I was right to do so. As well acted as you might have heard and a powerful look at generational trauma with some beautiful scenes. Almost flawless. Play Dirty Even I've had to concede defeat in expecting The Nice Guys 2 but I had a blast with Shane Black's latest. I could do without Marky Mark in anything and it's lacking some of Black's cutting dialogue but it's a really enjoyable ride with an excellent cast - Lakeith Stanfield especially. KPop Demon Hunters About as much favour as a musical is going to get with me although this is a rare occasion where them bursting into song makes sense considering they're a pop group and all. Pretty good story, really good songs, stunning animation. Blue Moon Ethan Hawke as Lorenz Hart rabbiting on for an hour and a half without pause. I was bored shitless but if you like musicals and Richard Linklater more than I do you might like this. Nowhere near enough Margaret Qualley didn't help. Jay Kelly Awful. I've never liked Noah Baumbach and this is him at his maudlin worst. The performances are good enough to make it almost worthwhile but it's a mess and it goes on forever. Billy Crudup and Riley Keough are treasures though. Eternity Great concept wasted on a tedious love triangle between three leads who generate no chemistry. Elizabeth Olsen innocent but this is not the best use of Miles Teller at all. Not terribly convinced Callum Turner can act. Universal Language Peculiar but lovely comedy-drama set in an alternate Canada where the main language is Farsi. Like you do. It sounds weird and in a couple of ways it is but it's also sweet and funny and more accessible than it sounds. Oh, Canada Paul Schrader had a really good late run there for a few films but this is fucking dreadful. No idea what it's trying to be and it looks terrible, too. Almost unwatchable despite Richard Gere's best efforts. Holy Cow (2024) Cute French comedy-drama about an 18 year old lad who tries to make an award-winning cheese in the aftermath of his dad's death. Might be too French for some but I can tolerate them more than most. The Prosecutor Donnie Yen's latest is an odd mix of courtroom drama and brutal fights. Much better when it's being the latter, as you'd expect, and Donnie shows no signs of slowing down. When Harry Met Sally It's still just so, so good. What more can you say. The 'Burbs I've seen this so many times now and it somehow gets better every time. Remember when Tom Hanks was funny? We had it all. Married to the Mob More films should just have deleted scenes set to Bizarre Love Triangle over their end credits. One of the best American films of the 80s. Comfort and Joy The actual best Christmas film of all time. Bill Forsyth is one of the true greats. Such a warm and lovely film, I think I prefer it even to Local Hero. Quote
SaitoRyo Posted January 9 Posted January 9 I watched a bunch of stuff while I was back in the UK over Christmas (and had access to my folks' ridiculous streaming options), but I didn't make note of absolutely everything and have since forgotten a bunch of it. From what I can rememebr, Juror #2 was an alright slow-burner, Friendship was a good laugh and I didn't think much of the Christmas Chronicles films (the second one in particular). I rewatched Gremlins for the first time in an age and thought it was great! Also had a really fun time watching The Housemaid at the cinema, as it's just the sort of 90s Blockbuster VHS special that I tend to go for. Was heartened to see quite a few in, too, especially so close to Christmas. Anyway, back to regular service with... Romeo is Bleeding I swear I either watched or at least tried to watch this about fifteen years ago. I love me a late 80s to early 90s neo-noir, but this just isn't very good, is it? Gary Oldman does his best and there are familiar, dependable faces in the cast, but they don't have a great deal to work with. It just didn't come together at all, for me, as it's stylish, but a bit too messy. I'd call this one a disappointment and I'm leaning towards thinking I tried watching it back when but gave up. Quote
Paid Members Devon Malcolm Posted January 9 Paid Members Posted January 9 3 minutes ago, SaitoRyo said: Romeo is Bleeding I swear I either watched or at least tried to watch this about fifteen years ago. I love me a late 80s to early 90s neo-noir, but this just isn't very good, is it? Gary Oldman does his best and there are familiar, dependable faces in the cast, but they don't have a great deal to work with. It just didn't come together at all, for me, as it's stylish, but a bit too messy. I'd call this one a disappointment and I'm leaning towards thinking I tried watching it back when but gave up. It was put out during that run of neo-noirs in the mid/late 90s but it's not a patch on The Last Seduction, Red Rock West, One False Move and so on. Lena Olin's really good in it though. Quote
SaitoRyo Posted January 9 Posted January 9 55 minutes ago, Devon Malcolm said: It was put out during that run of neo-noirs in the mid/late 90s but it's not a patch on The Last Seduction, Red Rock West, One False Move and so on. Lena Olin's really good in it though. Yeah, those are all far, far better films imo. I felt like it was going for an OTT, almost campy thing with how thick they were laying on the cliches, but it just didn't work. I will always watch a neo-noir from that era and there were things I liked about it (including Olin), just felt it was a letdown overall. Also hard to take seriously any film where the main character has prime Annabella Sciorra at home and he's still putting it about. Quote
Members SuperBacon Posted January 9 Members Posted January 9 2 hours ago, Devon Malcolm said: When Harry Met Sally It's still just so, so good. What more can you say. One of my happiest moments was introducing my eldest to this not long ago, her logging it 5 stars on Letterboxd (yes I'm still on my phones notes, no I won't be joining...yet) and her now trying to get all of her mates to watch it. I've always told her I consider it a perfect film and she for once said I wasn't wrong. Lovely stuff. Quote
Merzbow Posted January 9 Posted January 9 Dream Lover Mostly a generic 90's erotic thriller, but James Spader playing the awkward horny guy he plays so well. The tension built around Twin Peaks' Mädchen Amick is actually really good, she holds her own and it all builds to a very silly but very satisfying ending. Not a patch on other Spader-verse films of the era but still worth a watch next to Crash and Sex, Lies & Videotape. Marty Supreme What a fucking horrid little character and I loved every second of him being that slimy weasel, not quite as anxiety inducing as Uncut Gems but still a brilliant single character driven ride from a Safdie. Most people have already said what needs to be said, give Timmy all the awards.. this was great bait. Oh, and that was actually his arse getting spanked. Blade Runner 35mm scan of the much hated US theatrical cut, It's Blade Runner but with the never needed voiceovers explaining every little thing. The Big Lebowski I'll be honest, this is a Coen film I've never loved and I still don't but I did enjoy it much more this time around. Maybe because there's not so many insufferable people who go on and on and on about it around any more, making it a part of their personality. A very fun farce. The Batman I enjoyed this far more than I expected to, it's still a cape movie that belongs in the other thread but it's very solid at what it does. Looks and sounds great and I'm so glad it's not a CGI fest with nonce-sense fights, the combat looks nasty and is paced really well. My favourite examples of both Bruce and Catwoman in a long, long time. Nice to see Evil Trevor from Eastenders putting on a funny Yank accent, too. Nina Forever Low budget British horror-comedy(?), I mean I found it funny at points in a dark way. A great premise of an ex coming back to life whenever you fuck a new partner even if it's a little lazy of an analogy but it works. Just wish it was better written, Abigail Hardingham is great though and I don't understand why she isn't bigger and doing more stuff. Lady Snowblood Exploitation film at it's best (actually, I prefer Female Prisoner Scorpion and it's slightly avant-garde follow-up) that offers a little bit more than just hyper violence or sex, Meiko Kaji is just a powerhouse and you can't take your eyes off her regardless of role she plays, she's outstanding. It's obviously where Tarantino stole so much from for the first Kill Bill. Quote
Paid Members Jesse Posted January 9 Paid Members Posted January 9 After loving Marty Supreme I went and saw Good Time at cultplex tonight. Pattinson plays a great piece of shit, seemingly incapable of making a good decision at any point. It's way more focused than Marty Supreme, both in chronology and on the character so there's less of a sense of how he got here, but he's fascinating to watch. Spoiler Packed room let out a collective horrified gasp when he started kissing a 16 year old to distract her from his mugshot on the news. I'm much more likely to re-watch Marty Supreme, but I had a blast with this. Need to get Uncut Gems on the watchlist soon. Quote
Mr_Danger Posted January 10 Posted January 10 18 hours ago, Devon Malcolm said: The 'Burbs I've seen this so many times now and it somehow gets better every time. Remember when Tom Hanks was funny? We had it all. I rewatched Turner and Hooch over Christmas and it made me a bit sad that not only will we never see that level of Hanks humour and charisma again but there’s no chance at all that we’d see that level of actually good film+daft concept+major star done so well again. I’ve still got time for sad old man Hanks but for my money that early era comedies Hanks might be my favourite film star ever. Quote
DavidB6937 Posted January 11 Posted January 11 Cinema filled weekend hiding from the cold. Avatar - Fire & Ash Must admit I've never really been a fan. I remember seeing the first one at the massive IMAX in London and being left fairly cold by it. Visually spectacular yes but I never feel immersed in it enough to shift from thinking about it from a technological perspective. Maybe if it had a better story I'd be able to do that. This one was absolutely more of the same but I did find myself enjoying it more for some reason. Maybe going in with such low expectations helped. They definitely don't need another one. Anaconda Absolutely delivered on its daft premise and general stupidness. Whether you enjoy it or not depends on how well you get on with Jack Black and Paul Rudd as its basically them on autopilot. A good palate cleanser after spending hours with grown up smurfs. Labyrinth One of those films that I genuinely dont know if I haven't seen it at all or just for a long time. Quoted so often that it feels like I definitely should've seen it but who knows. Seeing this and Avatar in the same day was quite the contrast. Personally I have a fondness for anything Henson related so I appreciated it from that angle, but it's a bit shit isnt it? Bowie isnt great. The songs arent great. Sure, it made me laugh a few times and there's definitely a certain charm about it. I can see why it'd have a cult following but not for me. Marty Supreme As soon as the opening credits started I knew this was going to be weird. And oh what a fucking ride. Honestly didnt know where it was going most of the time and it just made the whole thing a lot of fun. Super tense. Great performances. Even better than I was expecting. Quote
Paid Members mim731 Posted January 11 Paid Members Posted January 11 (edited) 15 minutes ago, DavidB6937 said: but it's a bit shit isnt it? Bowie isnt great. The songs arent great. Respectfully, you're wrong. Just walked out if the cinema from watching it, and it's as brilliant as it was when I saw it years ago. Bowie is excellent, as are the songs. Edited January 11 by mim731 Quote
Paid Members Hannibal Scorch Posted January 11 Paid Members Posted January 11 56 minutes ago, mim731 said: Respectfully, you're wrong. Just walked out if the cinema from watching it, and it's as brilliant as it was when I saw it years ago. Bowie is excellent, as are the songs. Whilst I second your thoughts on Labyrinth, @DavidB6937 was far too kind on Anaconda. Genuinely one of the worst comedies I’ve seen since Strays. Paul Rudd deserved better. Quote
DavidB6937 Posted January 11 Posted January 11 2 hours ago, mim731 said: Respectfully, you're wrong. Just walked out if the cinema from watching it, and it's as brilliant as it was when I saw it years ago. Bowie is excellent, as are the songs. That's great! Plenty of love for it in the cinema when I was there too. I do wonder if I'd feel differently if I had a love for it for many years. It's a tough one to come at with fresh eyes in 2026 I think. @Hannibal Scorch - I laughed enough to make it worth sitting through Anaconda but definitely not something I'd ever sit through again. I thought the Spoiler pissing bit was a particularly low point. I think knowing it was going to be quite bad probably helped. Quote
Recommended Posts
Join the conversation
You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.