Paid Members Jesse Posted January 30 Paid Members Posted January 30 30 minutes ago, SuperBacon said: I love Tim Robinson more than anything, but this was just OK. It could've been an I Think You Should Leave skit to be honest. I enjoyed it but the best thing to come from it is just him and Connor O'Malley fucking around for 12 minutes Quote
Paid Members FLips Posted January 31 Paid Members Posted January 31 Bloodsport I think I can finally put this to bed now. Van Damme is rubbish and his films are rubbish. The main bad guy and his jock mate outshine him every time they’re on screen as he bumbles about with a thousand yard stare. True Grit Blown away by this. One of the best Westerns I’ve seen. It wasn’t until the credits rolled I realised it was a Coen Brothers film but in hindsight it made sense. Snappy dialogue, infrequent but impactful action, and Hailee Steinfeld is unbelievably strong in it. Really rate this. Quote
Paid Members Devon Malcolm Posted January 31 Paid Members Posted January 31 40 minutes ago, FLips said: Bloodsport I think I can finally put this to bed now. Van Damme is rubbish and his films are rubbish. Have you seen Hard Target, Universal Soldier or Timecop? They're his only good ones. Quote
Paid Members FLips Posted January 31 Paid Members Posted January 31 1 hour ago, Devon Malcolm said: Have you seen Hard Target, Universal Soldier or Timecop? They're his only good ones. Not seen any of them. Maybe I’ve been watching the wrong ones! Quote
Paid Members Devon Malcolm Posted January 31 Paid Members Posted January 31 25 minutes ago, FLips said: Not seen any of them. Maybe I’ve been watching the wrong ones! Oh you definitely are! I quite liked Nowhere to Run and Knock Off, too, but those three are widely regarded as his best films, I think, and are your safest bets. Quote
Moderators Chest Rockwell Posted January 31 Moderators Posted January 31 Yeah, if you don't like Hard Target I'll be very surprised. Great film. Quote
Paid Members Devon Malcolm Posted January 31 Paid Members Posted January 31 Hard Target is a great gateway into John Woo's films, too, as it's the most Hong Kong-feeling of his American films. Quote
SaitoRyo Posted January 31 Posted January 31 I quite liked Nowhere to Run and Inferno. Not saying they're, like, good good, but I liked them. Quote
Paid Members FLips Posted January 31 Paid Members Posted January 31 (edited) So you’re telling me AWOL, Death Warrant, Bloodsport and Street Fighter aren’t his best? I guess I’ll leave my copy of Cyborg on the shelf until I’ve seen his good ones. Edited January 31 by FLips Quote
Paid Members gmoney Posted January 31 Paid Members Posted January 31 (edited) Well, certain kinds of sicko (me) will tell you his best films are Bloodsport and Kickboxer, though they are both almost identical. Early Van Damme is my jam. I truly love Cyborg as well, but I predict you won't. JCVD to me has a childish likability that makes him unique in the late 80s/early 90s violent action film space. He never seems to know what's going on, the characters and also the actor himself. I find it very endearing. Edited January 31 by gmoney Quote
King Coconut Posted January 31 Posted January 31 3 minutes ago, gmoney said: Well, certain kinds of sicko (me) will tell you his best films are Bloodsport and Kickboxer, though they are both almost identical. Early Van Damme is my jam. I truly love Cyborg as well, but I predict you won't. This is the correct answer. Not only his best but some of the best martial arts films of the time. Quote
Moderators Chest Rockwell Posted January 31 Moderators Posted January 31 His best work of course was this, in the ytmnd format of it's day - Quote
Mr_Danger Posted January 31 Posted January 31 18 hours ago, SuperBacon said: I love Tim Robinson more than anything, but this was just OK. It could've been an I Think You Should Leave skit to be honest. I Think You Should Leave is the perfect portion size of Tim Robinson for me. Even if I binge watch a a load of it I still like the short episodes. Friendship was just a bit too much needed more of the fun stuff at the start and a bit less drawn out craziness. I have been enjoying The Chair Company though. Quote
davertfnewman Posted January 31 Posted January 31 (edited) 7 hours ago, Devon Malcolm said: Have you seen Hard Target, Universal Soldier or Timecop? They're his only good ones. And Street Fighter! And his good ones... I'm also reminded of someone, possibly Paul Ross, telling the story of him disinterestedly sitting through a press junket and just lifting his leg and letting rip one time. Edited January 31 by davertfnewman Quote
Paid Members gmoney Posted January 31 Paid Members Posted January 31 Very unprofessional of Ross, that. Quote
Recommended Posts
Join the conversation
You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.