Paid Members FLips Posted December 7, 2025 Paid Members Posted December 7, 2025 I think the final stretch of Kill Bill Vol 2 is absolutely fine if you’re just watching Vol 2. I can see how if you’ve seen the films before and you’re watching them back to back, you might have better things to do though. Unless you’re a die-hard I don’t think the majority of people going to see this are doing so because it’s the new combo package, and more because they just want to watch Kill Bill in a cinema. Quote
Members SuperBacon Posted December 7, 2025 Members Posted December 7, 2025 I love me some Tarantino but I can't think of anything worse than sitting in a cinema for 5 hours, and Vol 2 is by far his worst film. I think it's dreadful. Anyway, among the Christmas bollocks, I rewatched About A Boy last week. I bloody love that film, and I've realised it's become a little bit of a comfort watch for me, as I reckon I've seen it around 20 times. Gorgeous soundtrack as well. Quote
Paid Members Hannibal Scorch Posted December 9, 2025 Paid Members Posted December 9, 2025 @SuperBacon if we’re talking worst Tarantino’s I can think of a few worse then Volume 2. My least favourite is probably The Hateful Eight, it’s just so dull and long. Quote
Paid Members LaGoosh Posted December 9, 2025 Paid Members Posted December 9, 2025 (edited) I think Volume 2 is strong up until the trailer fight. After that the film falls off a cliff almost immediately. When you get to Bill shooting The Bride with truth serum darts and talking bollocks for what feels like six hours I was desperate for it to hurry up and finish. Edited December 9, 2025 by LaGoosh Quote
SaitoRyo Posted December 9, 2025 Posted December 9, 2025 The Roses A few funny moments but I just can't get on with Benedict Cumberbatch, even when he's playing an insufferable arsehole. Olivia Coleman was good, as was Andy Samberg, but this wasn't something I'd ever want to watch again. The 1989 War of the Roses was a lot better, from what I remember. Quote
Paid Members Devon Malcolm Posted December 9, 2025 Paid Members Posted December 9, 2025 8 minutes ago, SaitoRyo said: The 1989 War of the Roses was a lot better, from what I remember. It's really good. Huge box office hit too, that just wouldn't happen with that kind of film today. Danny DeVito should have directed more. Quote
SaitoRyo Posted December 9, 2025 Posted December 9, 2025 12 minutes ago, Devon Malcolm said: It's really good. Huge box office hit too, that just wouldn't happen with that kind of film today. Danny DeVito should have directed more. He was a great director! Throw Momma from the Train is one of my favourites. A real comfort watch because I caught it on TV by chance when I was younger and really enjoyed it. If nothing else, The Roses made me want to revisit The War of the Roses, which I haven't seen in about fifteen years. Quote
Paid Members gmoney Posted December 9, 2025 Paid Members Posted December 9, 2025 59 minutes ago, Devon Malcolm said: It's really good. Huge box office hit too, that just wouldn't happen with that kind of film today. Danny DeVito should have directed more. I was a big fan of War of The Roses as a kid for some reason. I had it recorded off the telly and watched it loads. Quote
Members SuperBacon Posted December 9, 2025 Members Posted December 9, 2025 58 minutes ago, gmoney said: I was a big fan of War of The Roses as a kid for some reason. I had it recorded off the telly and watched it loads. This and Romancing The Stone were huge with my sisters and I for this particular reason. Quote
Mr_Danger Posted December 9, 2025 Posted December 9, 2025 Michael Douglass and Kathleen Turner were gold together. Should have cast Turner as his opposite in all those shagging films he did. Fuck, recast Newman with Danny DeVito in Basic Instinct and it already gains an extra star. In all seriousness though Kathleen Turner did some great stuff in the 80’s and 90’s. Quote
Paid Members LaGoosh Posted December 12, 2025 Paid Members Posted December 12, 2025 Black Narcissus Currently on ITV's incredibly shit streaming service. But what a movie! Some nuns open a convent near the Himalayas but they have issues with the locals, the British Agent to the local general is an incredibly attractive man, some of the nuns get way too horny and it all goes horribly wrong. It's beautiful to look at and has some of the best matte paintings I've ever seen. Fantastic performances and the final 20 minutes are really gripping. I highly recommend it. The film is fairly racist towards Indian people but to be fair it was made in the 1940s and probably accurately represents the view most British people had of Indians at that time. Quote
SaitoRyo Posted December 12, 2025 Posted December 12, 2025 1 minute ago, LaGoosh said: Black Narcissus Currently on ITV's incredibly shit streaming service. But what a movie! Some nuns open a convent near the Himalayas but they have issues with the locals, the British Agent to the local general is an incredibly attractive man, some of the nuns get way too horny and it all goes horribly wrong. It's beautiful to look at and has some of the best matte paintings I've ever seen. Fantastic performances and the final 20 minutes are really gripping. I highly recommend it. The film is fairly racist towards Indian people but to be fair it was made in the 1940s and probably accurately represents the view most British people had of Indians at that time. The way Powell and Pressburger films look continues to stun me whenever I watch one or even see still images from one of them. This and The Red Shoes probably being the two most stunning. Quote
Paid Members LaGoosh Posted December 12, 2025 Paid Members Posted December 12, 2025 It's the only film of theirs I've seen but its inspired me to check out other stuff from them with Red Shoes being top of the list. Quote
Paid Members Lorne Malvo Posted December 12, 2025 Paid Members Posted December 12, 2025 It doesn't sem to get mentioend as much as some of their other work, but I love I Know Where I'm Going. A Matter Of Life And Death is one of the best films ever too. Quote
Paid Members FLips Posted December 12, 2025 Paid Members Posted December 12, 2025 The Addams Family My wife said halfway through she can't think of a more perfectly cast film and she might just be right. Anjelica Huston as Morticia is something else. I always remember enjoying Family Values more than this growing up but honestly this one is fantastic. I think one of the best things it does is fill the gaps between plot points. It could have plodded along with the cliche amnesia storyline but all the gaps inbetween are filled with dark humour and weird family antics. It's a weird way to describe this film in particular but the whole thing is so full of life and vigor. Quote
Recommended Posts
Join the conversation
You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.