Jump to content

Recommended Posts

  • Paid Members
Posted

Oft forgotten Charlie Brooker penned UK police procedural spoof A Touch Of Cloth staring John Hannah is well worth your time, if you haven't seen it. Just mentioning it because I've just remembered it. 

  • Paid Members
Posted

Ah, I bloody loved that at the time. Anything with pun character names is right up my street.

Around the same sort of time the BBC also had a comedy detective show, Vexed, that I also recall enjoying. Less of a spoof approach but still fun. 

  • Paid Members
Posted (edited)

Jackie Brown

Not Tarantino's best but still a decent film. Doesn't leave much to talk about like his other films to the point I have nothing much to say on it. Jackson, Greer and Keaton were all really good but it felt at times like a run of the mill crime film that Tarantino slapped some of his spin on to make it his. I think if you didn't tell me it was Tarantino and I didn't take the long unnecessary feet shots into account I'd have never guessed it was him.

Reservoir Dogs

I saw I think Danny Boyle in the Criterion Closet (the youtube series, I wasn't in there with him) and he said that a director's first film is always his best. I think there's something to that because this is still a great film. Gets a bit fast and loose with the racial slurs but everything is here, the characters, the plot, the tension. Just a solid stylish film that gets better with repeat watches. 

Cape Fear

Robert DeNiro is absolutely terrifying as Max Cady, a psychopath "wrongfully" imprisoned for 14 years when his defense lawyer buries evidence to make sure he goes down because it's morally the correct thing to do. 14 years later he's out of prison and he immediately begins a sociopathic campaign of revenge against Nick Nolte and his family.
I think a lot of it feels experimental, especially the camera work, and some of it (Nolte looking at the blood on his hands and being scared when he tries to wash them clean) is a little on the nose but it somehow all works. Might actually be my favourite DeNiro performance or certainly in the conversation. The only thing that didn't work for us was the end stretch which begins to feel like a Friday 13th or Nightmare on Elm Street.

Just a fantastic thriller/almost horror film. We got worried we had another Once Upon a Time in America situation on our hands but we looked it up and Juliette Lewis was 18 so that was a relief.

We didn't realise until about halfway into the film when we recognised the main theme that this was one of the Sideshow Bob episodes and from there on we spent time trying to catch all the similarities. Big pop when he was underneath the car but shame he didn't do the rake spot.

Edited by FLips
  • Members
Posted
24 minutes ago, FLips said:

Jackie Brown

Not Tarantino's best

maxresdefault(1).thumb.jpg.68dcc725c7e2ec34996bc400a7bf9184.jpg

By far my favourite film of his, and probably always will be. Pam Grier and Robert Forster put in amazing turns, have great chemistry and the soundtrack is top.

  • Paid Members
Posted

KPop-Demon Hunters

Think a Korean version of Misteeq taking on an evil male boy band that out numbers them. Incredibly well done and better than anyone has any right to expect it to be. Very impressive.

  • Paid Members
Posted

Went to see the new Naked Gun and had a great time. It's not the original, but it's still good fun. I like that it didn't lean too heavily on legacy except for a few jokes and some background gags. Neeson's always had this in him from his small comedic turns on TV so I wasn't too worried going in, though there's a few moments that missed Nielsen's stronger voice for delivery. Pam Anderson and Danny Huston are great too (though I spent the first few minutes of his appearance trying to figure out why Ray Wise looked so weird)

Doesn't need a cinema screen, but definitely benefitted from being in a room full of people losing it at most of the jokes.

  • Paid Members
Posted
9 hours ago, BigJag said:

KPop-Demon Hunters

Think a Korean version of Misteeq taking on an evil male boy band that out numbers them. Incredibly well done and better than anyone has any right to expect it to be. Very impressive.

Big hit in our house. Sony have put out some right bangers (and a few clangers) recently. I do like the Spiderverse/Mitchells animation style they like to implement. The soundtrack is decent too and no one here really listens to KPop but my daughter has had it playing loads on her Alexa.

  • Paid Members
Posted
10 hours ago, TheHighlightReel said:

Flow - I was expecting something really wholesome and relaxing. Why did nobody tell me it was so anxiety inducing? Testament to how good it is without needing any dialogue.

Highly recommend the director's first film, Away. Also excellent.

  • Paid Members
Posted
On 8/5/2025 at 10:22 PM, FLips said:

Cape Fear

Robert DeNiro is absolutely terrifying as Max Cady

I would recommend watching the original film with Robert Mitchum as Cady; it's much more slow-burning, with Cady as this balance between charming and sinister, trying to ingratiate himself with people, with a performance that really gets under your skin and makes you uncomfortable. The DeNiro film is probably better, but I think it's worth making the comparison.

Posted

My mum accidentally watched it and apparently turned it off because it confused her.

Not sure if this is a valid review but I do like the idea of her sitting there wondering where Tom Cruise was.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
×
×
  • Create New...