Paid Members JLM Posted August 10, 2025 Paid Members Posted August 10, 2025 (edited) It’s easily one of the most childish jokes in the whole movie, but Spoiler “a bottom that would make any toilet BEG for the browwwwn” is seared into my brain. I think it’s because, for me, that’s the one line in the movie that was 100% better with Liam Neeson’s delivery than it would have been with Nielsen’s. Reels it off like a hard boiled film noir detective, and as if it’s both profound and universally relatable. Absolutely howled when I heard it and it routinely pops into my head and makes me chuckle. Edited August 10, 2025 by JLM Quote
DavidB6937 Posted August 10, 2025 Posted August 10, 2025 There was only about 15 people in the screening I just went to but genuinely every single one was laughing throughout so that was nice. And loved the surprise cameo for obvious reasons. It was actually nice watching it and feeling like I hadn't seen all the good bits in the trailer for a change. Quote
SaitoRyo Posted August 10, 2025 Posted August 10, 2025 5 hours ago, FLips said: I think every time I watch The 40 Year Old Virgin it gets less funny but twice as long. What a drag this film is. I should have done with this what I did with Anchorman and left it in the past. I keep forgetting I don't enjoy this one anymore though and every few years I look at Steve Carrell on the cover and get suckered back in. I actually watched this last night for the first time in an age. Only stuck it on as I was knackered atfer playing two football matches and I needed something that would require zero effort. I generally liked it and there's a few really funny moments/scenes, but it's a good 20-30 minutes longer than it needs to be and there's a bunch of dodgy stuff in there that is indicative of the time it was made. There are other similar comedies from that era that are a lot funnier. Also watched Nadine the other night. It's a 1987 crime comedy set in the 1950s with Jeff Bridges, Kim Basinger and Rip Torn in it. Some people seem to really hate on it, but it's by no means terrible, moves quickly and only lasts 80 minutes, so it doesn't overstay its welcome. Quote
Paid Members LaGoosh Posted August 10, 2025 Paid Members Posted August 10, 2025 5 hours ago, FLips said: think every time I watch The 40 Year Old Virgin it gets less funny but twice as long. What a drag this film is. I should have done with this what I did with Anchorman and left it in the past. I keep forgetting I don't enjoy this one anymore though and every few years I look at Steve Carrell on the cover and get suckered back in. I think this whole period of comedy films has aged very badly. Highly thought of at the time but in reality absolute stinkers. Quote
Paid Members Hannibal Scorch Posted August 10, 2025 Paid Members Posted August 10, 2025 On 8/9/2025 at 8:50 AM, poetofthedeed said: Sinners is still my movie of the year, But Weapons is a very close second. I went in almost completely blind and spent the first hour really enjoying a drama about a community dealing with a tragedy, then that second half happens and the movie hits another gear. It's been a hit and miss year for Movies, But the 2 best movies being creative horrors gives me hope for the future. Going to catch Bring her back and Together next. I actually think I preferred Barbarian out of his two efforts. I felt this was definitely about 20 minutes too long. Still enjoyed it, but Sinners is still my favourite film this year so far. Quote
Paid Members FLips Posted August 10, 2025 Paid Members Posted August 10, 2025 (edited) Michael Jackson’s Moonwalker Joe Pesci wears Dr Robotnik glasses and a wig that makes him look like a feudal era samurai as he uses a tarantula-based delivery system to deal heroin to kids. It’s a flawed plan to begin with, not helped by Michael Jackson showing up, obliterating a billiard ball into dust with his bare hand and then turning into both a sports car and a robot to blast Pesci into smithereens. You get a claymation motorbike chase and about 7 or 8 music videos as a cherry on top. Not a good film, but it’s oddly watchable and unthafomably bizarre. Worth the £1 I paid for it. Edited August 10, 2025 by FLips Quote
Paid Members Arch Stanton Posted August 10, 2025 Paid Members Posted August 10, 2025 5 minutes ago, FLips said: Michael Jackson’s Moonwalker Joe Pesci wears Dr Robotnik glasses and a wig that makes him look like a feudal era samurai as he uses a tarantula-based delivery system to deal heroin to kids. It’s a flawed plan to begin with, not helped by Michael Jackson showing up, obliterating a billiard ball into dust with his bare hand and then turning into both a sports car and a robot to blast Pesci into smithereens. You get a claymation motorbike chase and about 7 or 8 music videos as a cherry on top. Not a good film, but it’s oddly watchable and unthafomably bizarre. Worth the £1 I paid for it. Please play through and review the game next. I loved it when I was a kid! Quote
Paid Members FLips Posted August 10, 2025 Paid Members Posted August 10, 2025 (edited) I have a soft spot for the game for sure! Like the film it’s not great but it’s weird enough and carried by a solid soundtrack. There was a bit in this where the girl went “MICHAEL!” and I recognised it from when you rescue her from the closets in the game. The arcade version is even madder and features the big robot transformation. Edited August 10, 2025 by FLips Quote
Paid Members TheBurningRed Posted August 10, 2025 Paid Members Posted August 10, 2025 23 minutes ago, FLips said: The arcade version is even madder and features the big robot transformation. They have that at NQ64 in Manchester. Spent a lot of money playing it. Quote
Paid Members Carbomb Posted August 10, 2025 Paid Members Posted August 10, 2025 (edited) I loved the arcade version. Had it on MAME32 emulator for a while. The film is, obviously, bizarre, and the preferences change with age. As a kid, I was more interested in the second half, and as an adult it's the first half that's more entertaining. But either way, felt I was ripped off a bit. Still, Joe Pesci slapping kids around never gets old. Edited August 10, 2025 by Carbomb Predrag Mijatovic Quote
Paid Members johnnyboy Posted August 10, 2025 Paid Members Posted August 10, 2025 On 8/8/2025 at 8:50 PM, Devon Malcolm said: Weapons might be the film of the year so far. The Cregger hype is real. A blast from start to finish, much funnier than I expected and the last 15 minutes are especially mental. Can't wait to see it again. I'd been looking forward to this since seeing the trailer 300x in the cinema over the past few months and it absolutely delivered. The only thing that could have improved it... Spoiler Benny Hill theme over the witch chase. Quote
wordsfromlee Posted August 10, 2025 Posted August 10, 2025 1 hour ago, FLips said: Michael Jackson’s Moonwalker Joe Pesci wears Dr Robotnik glasses and a wig that makes him look like a feudal era samurai as he uses a tarantula-based delivery system to deal heroin to kids. It’s a flawed plan to begin with, not helped by Michael Jackson showing up, obliterating a billiard ball into dust with his bare hand and then turning into both a sports car and a robot to blast Pesci into smithereens. You get a claymation motorbike chase and about 7 or 8 music videos as a cherry on top. Not a good film, but it’s oddly watchable and unthafomably bizarre. Worth the £1 I paid for it. I absolutely loved Moonwalker as a kid. Well, I say I loved it - I loved the Man in the Mirror bit at the start (because that songs the best), the Bad video parody bit with the kids, and obviously the Smooth Criminal bit. Still to this day I think when he flicks the coin across the room into the jukebox and the track hits is the coolest thing in the world. I rewatched that video thousands of times. An absolute masterclass in choreography. Joe Pesci with the tarantulas and MJ transforming into a big metal MegaZord spaceship I was fine with, but I used to get really freaked out by the chase through the movie lot and into the Speed Demon video bit. All the weird claymation and people in massive papier-mâché heads didn't sit right with me. Moonwalker and Michael Jackson Live in Bucharest in '92 - both of which my Nan taped off the tele for me - were in constant rotation when I was six years old. I still have the tape in a box under my bed. I was the first thing I took when we cleared my Nan's house out after she died. I knew even back then that it wasn't a good movie. I used watched it for the cool music video bits. I think I may have only ever watched it through for start to finish once. After that I'd just fast forward to my favourite parts. Years later I ended up getting a tattoo of the Michael Jackson Smooth Criminal silhouette from the DVD cover. Quote
Paid Members gmoney Posted August 10, 2025 Paid Members Posted August 10, 2025 2 hours ago, FLips said: Michael Jackson’s Moonwalker Joe Pesci wears Dr Robotnik glasses and a wig that makes him look like a feudal era samurai as he uses a tarantula-based delivery system to deal heroin to kids. It’s a flawed plan to begin with, not helped by Michael Jackson showing up, obliterating a billiard ball into dust with his bare hand and then turning into both a sports car and a robot to blast Pesci into smithereens. You get a claymation motorbike chase and about 7 or 8 music videos as a cherry on top. Not a good film, but it’s oddly watchable and unthafomably bizarre. Worth the £1 I paid for it. I saw this as a kid and all I recall about it is the bit where he turns in a car. I can also remember a feeling of confusion after being so excited to see a Michael Jackson film, then being confronted with this. Sort of mad that this is what they chose to do with the biggest pop star in the world. Quote
Paid Members JLM Posted August 10, 2025 Paid Members Posted August 10, 2025 Echoing the love-in for Weapons. Was so disciplined with this one. I saw a very early teaser trailer that actually WAS a teaser. Julia Garner, Zach Cregger, solid premise. Already sold. I then made the greatest effort to find out absolutely nothing else about it until I saw it. Felt so nice to be excited about an upcoming movie based on minimal info, and to get to the cinema to see it without having seen a movie-ruining extended trailer. Spoiler What a wild ride it was. The whole thing had the feel of my favourite type of Stephen King stories, ones like Needful Things or Under The Dome, where small town politics and culture are as malevolent as the monsters or aliens. I grew up in a village and have lived in small towns full of lifers where everyone knows everyone and I fucking HATE it. I know for some that's the ideal but I cannot cope with it. City boy through and through. So for the first half of it I was having a lovely time sitting in that and watching Julia Garner going through some shit. I love her, she is brilliant. Then business picks up, and what a creation Aunt Gladys is! Outstanding performance from Amy Madigan, and my god the WIG. Instantly iconic horror villain. I also love that she never explicitly does some monologue where she explains how she needs to drain people's life forces to extend her life or any of that. They give you enough and they strongly imply everything, but keep enough mystery that you can create your own mythology around her. The final act was brilliant. Cathartic, darkly hilarious, completely triumphant and something that HAD to be seen without any hints or spoilers. An absolute riot. Was so much fun that I'd quite like to go again with new people and enjoy them witnessing it for the first time. Quote
Recommended Posts
Join the conversation
You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.