wordsfromlee Posted August 7, 2025 Posted August 7, 2025 "War of the Worlds, but set entirely within the screen of a computer." Quote
Members SuperBacon Posted August 8, 2025 Members Posted August 8, 2025 21 hours ago, King Coconut said: Sounds like a job for @SuperBacon How it started: How its going: One day you're getting a letter from the FBI about your song Fuck The Police, the next you're working for the NSA...sorry, THE DHS. Life moves fast. I like a bad film. I like surveillance type films. I love all the "jacked in hacker" unrealistic computer stuff in them, where they can do all sorts of things in nanoseconds. So that cropping up in a film is a good thing for me. Well, I wasn't prepared for the fact that the entire film takes place through Ice Cubes screens. I assumed the pics and grabs I'd seen were bits within the film. No. No they're not. When I put away my bad small screen and my bad medium screen, and turn on my large screen for some escapism, I don't really want to then see the small and bad screens of other people for 90 minutes. I get enough nonsense Teams calls during the day mate! I'm surprised they didn't include some REPLY ALL just to really fuck me off. (Re: fwd: Alien invasion: ACT NOW This meant for me?) Anyway, the whole film is Teams calls, WhatsApp calls, constant opening of other screens. The aliens have come down to nick all of our data, and...that's it. There is some other bullshit about the government creating all of this, and Cubes wife died a few years back and those alien shits have deleted her Facebook pics ffs! He's got two kids as well and constantly stalks them. He's even got a camera in his daughters fridge. Weird. There is one highlight: Devon Bostick AKA the One True Rodrick. He plays Cubes daughters boyfriend and doesn't get enough screen (which one? WAHEEEEEEEEY!) time at all, but he made me smile every time he appeared. In the films only high point, Cube needs a thumb drive, doesn't have one, and Rodrick (who is an Amazon delivery driver) says he can fly him one there with a Prime Air drone but Cube must make an immediate order through Amazon.com (which they obviously show him doing) Absolutely insane product placement but fair play. Oh, and Eva Longoria is still very fit. It's a bad film, but it's s not the 0% it's been getting. But it is a bad film. Still not as bad as Gladiator II, the worst film I've seen this year by far. Just watch the Tom Cruise one and if you want some Ice Cube action, listen to Amerikkkas Most Wanted. Don't watch this. Still not all bad. When I was bored and turned to my bad small screen, I came across this pic of Pavarotti on a moped. Enjoy. Quote
Paid Members JLM Posted August 8, 2025 Paid Members Posted August 8, 2025 You thought Found Footage horror and sci-fi was cool? How about NO FOOTAGE. It’s bold. I still sort of want to watch it. Quote
Members SuperBacon Posted August 8, 2025 Members Posted August 8, 2025 1 minute ago, JLM said: You thought Found Footage horror and sci-fi was cool? How about NO FOOTAGE. It’s bold. I still sort of want to watch it. I applaud them for trying something, but its just shit. Like I said if it had been bits within the film, absolutely fine. That's all good. The fact that it's the whole film is just a dreadful decision. Quote
Paid Members Carbomb Posted August 8, 2025 Paid Members Posted August 8, 2025 (edited) It sounds for all intents and purposes like this was an attempt at doing an updated version of the Orson Welles radio play adaptation, and they didn't quite nail it. Edited August 8, 2025 by Carbomb Joleon Lescott Quote
Paid Members Hannibal Scorch Posted August 8, 2025 Paid Members Posted August 8, 2025 1 hour ago, SuperBacon said: I applaud them for trying something, but its just shit. Like I said if it had been bits within the film, absolutely fine. That's all good. The fact that it's the whole film is just a dreadful decision. it’s become a genre of film now. Started off with Searching in 2018. I thought that one was good but don’t really feel it needs to be its own genre of film making. 43 minutes ago, Carbomb said: It sounds for all intents and purposes like this was an attempt at doing an updated version of the Orson Welles radio play adaptation, and they didn't quite nail it. So Ice Cube doesn’t perform Forever Autumn during this? Yeah I might skip it. Quote
Cousin Jim Bob Posted August 8, 2025 Posted August 8, 2025 23 minutes ago, Hannibal Scorch said: it’s become a genre of film now. Started off with Searching in 2018. I thought that one was good but don’t really feel it needs to be its own genre of film making. So Ice Cube doesn’t perform Forever Autumn during this? Yeah I might skip it. Host (2020) is good too. Horror film film set and filmed during the pandemic over a Zoom call. I think Unfriended started the trend in 2014. I never liked that film much though. Very forgettable. Quote
Paid Members WeeAl Posted August 8, 2025 Paid Members Posted August 8, 2025 35 minutes ago, Cousin Jim Bob said: I think Unfriended started the trend in 2014. I never liked that film much though I'd hope not. Dog shite. Quote
Paid Members Devon Malcolm Posted August 8, 2025 Paid Members Posted August 8, 2025 Can confirm The Naked Gun is funny. The snowman scene the clear stand-out. I'd watch it again. Weapons might be the film of the year so far. The Cregger hype is real. A blast from start to finish, much funnier than I expected and the last 15 minutes are especially mental. Can't wait to see it again. Quote
Paid Members Hannibal Scorch Posted August 8, 2025 Paid Members Posted August 8, 2025 Together is a very interesting body horror that I’ll probably never watch again. Quote
Paid Members Jesse Posted August 9, 2025 Paid Members Posted August 9, 2025 8 hours ago, Devon Malcolm said: Weapons might be the film of the year so far. The Cregger hype is real. A blast from start to finish, much funnier than I expected and the last 15 minutes are especially mental. Can't wait to see it again. Saw Weapons last night and couldn't agree more. One of those films where I was loving every second, and had the whole theater reacting constantly. Fantastic film. Quote
poetofthedeed Posted August 9, 2025 Posted August 9, 2025 Sinners is still my movie of the year, But Weapons is a very close second. I went in almost completely blind and spent the first hour really enjoying a drama about a community dealing with a tragedy, then that second half happens and the movie hits another gear. It's been a hit and miss year for Movies, But the 2 best movies being creative horrors gives me hope for the future. Going to catch Bring her back and Together next. Quote
Paid Members FLips Posted August 10, 2025 Paid Members Posted August 10, 2025 I think every time I watch The 40 Year Old Virgin it gets less funny but twice as long. What a drag this film is. I should have done with this what I did with Anchorman and left it in the past. I keep forgetting I don't enjoy this one anymore though and every few years I look at Steve Carrell on the cover and get suckered back in. Picked up a few from CEX today as well. A couple of almost-rans in The Mummy (not in stock, only The Mummy Returns), WaterWorld (weird cases, scratched discs), and The Ghost in The Shell (Live action one, my mate said it was supposed to be shit). Westworld (1973) - £4 The Usual Suspects - £1 Spaceballs - £1 (Charity shop find, it was actually £4 in CEX) The Addams Family - £3 Excited to watch Westworld as I've heard good things and though Yul Brynner was outstanding in The Magnificent Seven. Quote
Members SuperBacon Posted August 10, 2025 Members Posted August 10, 2025 1 minute ago, FLips said: think every time I watch The 40 Year Old Virgin it gets less funny but twice as long. What a drag this film is. I should have done with this what I did with Anchorman and left it in the past. I keep forgetting I don't enjoy this one anymore though and every few years I look at Steve Carrell on the cover and get suckered back in. The only good things about the film are Paul Rudd (obviously) and Kimberley Pages boob popping out. Quote
DavidB6937 Posted August 10, 2025 Posted August 10, 2025 Naked Gun felt like one of those movies that had a bunch of terrible dad jokes that I felt embarrassed to laugh at but I did multiple times because that shit sense of humour is me. Quote
Recommended Posts
Join the conversation
You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.