VHS and Betamax You Have Recently Rented

Frankie Crisp

• Paid Members
On 9/20/2022 at 11:16 PM, Keith Houchen said:

Goodnight Mommy. It’s obvious fairly early on what’s happening but some good tension, about 6 people in it, one being Naomi Watts, and about 90 minutes long. Much like gmoneys description of a Greggs, neither shit nor satisfying. 

I remember watching the original years ago and was surprised it was even re-made. The original is fairly generic and uninspiring. Not sure why they've even bothered with a US version.

• Paid Members

I found out my local town hall shows films once a week (or a few times a week if it's a "theme")

I tried it tonight with Monty python and the holy grail and it was a good set-up and it's quite chilled out so I've gone for a double bill of evil dead 1 & 2 on Halloween, alien on Oct 3rd and Indiana Jones and the last crusade.

It's probably my least favourite of the 3 main python films though, life of Brian being top obvs, but I've not properly watch it in 10 years so seeing it on a big screen after a few pints was a nice escape to my younger years.

• Paid Members

Confess, Fletch

This is where we are now - a mid-budget comedy from a respected director and headed by Jon Hamm that nobody had heard of beforehand shoved out on DTV instead of being given a reasonable shot at the cinema. Which it should have got because it's really good. Hamm's much more engaging than Chevy Chase was in the role and the support cast are excellent. One of the best surprises of the year.

The Titfield Thunderbolt

Ealing's comedies just seem to get better and more pertinent with age and I don't know how they did that. This wouldn't even make their top five but it's still a warm, gentle and very funny film with a subtle political bite.

Child's Play (1972) (Talking Pictures TV)

Odd one, this, from the boy Lumet. Starts off as a really interesting look at staff dynamics at a school; then turns into a supernatural horror film halfway through. Some very good stuff in the first half and James Mason is excellent as usual, but overall doesn't gel together.

Here Comes Mr. Jordan

Lovely fantasy romcom with more than an echo of A Matter of Life and Death. Not as good, obviously (what is?), but really funny and doesn't get preachy with its religious aspects. Does have boxing in it but nobody's perfect.

Sleepy Hollow

Should have been really a enjoyable combo of horror and crime but gets ruined by Johnny Depp playing like it's a fucking comedy. Absolutely ruins it, the bloke's fucking crap.

Rogue (2007)

I've watched this Aussie giant croc film a few times and it's a good comfort watch. With a better lead actor than Michael Vartan it could have been even better but it's a good laugh and the cast's packed with Aussie character actors and a young Mia Wasikowska.

The Island at the Top of the World

The usual boring Disney adventure film. Nothing happens, it's quite racist, and the only woman in the cast has to flash cleavage even though it's set in the Arctic. Never change, lads.

1 hour ago, Devon Malcolm said:

Confess, Fletch

This is where we are now - a mid-budget comedy from a respected director and headed by Jon Hamm that nobody had heard of beforehand shoved out on DTV instead of being given a reasonable shot at the cinema. Which it should have got because it's really good. Hamm's much more engaging than Chevy Chase was in the role and the support cast are excellent. One of the best surprises of the year.

I was reading something earlier today about Hamm handing back a little over half of his salary (the director also handed back some of his although not as much) so that they could film an extra 3 days after they struggled to get financing. I haven’t seen it yet but I’m looking forward to it, I like Jon Hamm and he seems a good egg. Well, apart from that Hazing Incident when he was at college

Edited by WyattSheepMask

• Paid Members

Greener Grass

Felt very much like one of those live action Adult Swim shorts they were pumping out a few years back (Too Many Cooks, Unedited Footage of a Bear etc) but stretched out to feature length. Some very, very funny surreal gags, and performances but ultimately too long.

Onibaba

Beautiful looking Japanese historical folk tale, with a demon mask. Much more shagging and violence in this than I was expecting going it. A treat. 

Stone Cold

Ex American Football player Brian Bosworth is a cop undercover in a biker gang who are killing priests for some reason (don't think it's ever explained why). Much more competent than it has any right to be, the ridiculous beginning and end of the film are let down by a pretty boring middle, but I had fun. Surprised Bosworth didn't get up to much after this, or end up in wrestling. 

Been getting into the Hong Kong martial arts movies recently, man i wish i watched some of these as a kid id have been mesmerised, here is what ive watched so far -

Tiger Cage 1 & 2 - Loved part one great action flick, and some great fight scenes. Same with number 2, was a bit less serious as part one but nevertheless had terrific action & Donnie Yen was amazing in it

Riki-Oh: The Story of Ricky - Absolutely batshit crazy, over the top gore & some pretty dam good fight scenes. Another hit for me 

Police Story - Jackie Chan territory now, was for me a real good movie, good slapstick humour but, then the final 15mins, hit. Holy Shit! incredible, how no one died doing the stunts i will never know, ive seen nothing like it before, one of the best endings to a movie ive seen.

The Millionaires Express - didn't like this one, no action hardly till the end and bored me too tears, until a pretty good final melee

Chocolate - a more recent film Thai, 2008. Unreal i loved this. JeeJa Yanin is incredible, shame she hasnt been in more movies, she should be a superstar. The fight scenes were jaw dropping, some of the best have seen. A must watch for martial arts fans

Also watched Raid 1&2 but, you will all know what am likely to say on them. Classics!

so a few questions do you guys watch with the subtitles and have the forgein language on for these HK movies or dubbed english versions?  and what other HK films or martial arts films would you recommend?

• Paid Members

Ninja Terminator is the best. Sometimes I'm a little ashamed thinking about how much time I wasted getting stoned and watching terrible shit in my late teens, but the Ninja Terminator experience was special. I don't know how we all made it out alive!

If they brought out a wireless version of that Garfield phone I'd still buy the shit out of it in tribute.

I'd work your way through the best 3 Dragons (Jackie Chan, Sammo Hung, Yuen Biao) solo and team stuff first if you loved Police Story. For all three together check out Project A, Wheels on Meals and Dragons Forever. For solo or two of them Drunken Master II, Pedicab Driver and The Prodigal Son are all awesome and regarded as genre classics. 

If you want crazy action and gunplay then early HK John Woo films are essential and still mindblowing. Hard Boiled, The Killer and A Better Tomorrow 1 and 2 are all completely bonkers.

Edited by Cousin Jim Bob

On 9/23/2022 at 3:38 PM, Devon Malcolm said:

Confess, Fletch

Yup really enjoyed it. I love a lot of the books and he felt very 'Fletch' (I love the Chase movie but that's Chevy playing Chevy)