VHS and Betamax You Have Recently Rented

Frankie Crisp

• Paid Members

The Railway Children Return (cinema)

Not so much unnecessary as utterly awful. Some amazingly misjudged stuff about racism but it's also just incredibly boring.

Chicken Run (cinema)

Bless Vue for saving the summer holidays and showing an Aardman every week. Not my favourite of theirs but still obviously very funny at times.

Wallace & Gromit in the Curse of the Were-Rabbit (cinema)

There were quite a lot more tit jokes in this than I expected. So I loved it, obviously.

The Incident (1967) (YouTube)

If you fancy having an anxiety attack for about an hour as Martin Sheen and Tony Musante terrorise a subway car, this is the film for you. Must have been an influence on parts of The Taking of Pelham One Two Three and it's almost as good, and I'm not sure there can be a bigger compliment than that.

Gorky Park

Where's that thread about bonkers casts? This one has William Hurt, Lee Marvin, Michael Elphick and Alexei Sayle. A total mess of a film that gets stupider as it goes along but still enjoyable.

The Glass Key (1942)

Excellent earlier noir. I've never warmed to Alan Ladd, he was so wooden, but Brian Donlevy and Veronica Lake pick up the slack. Superb story and impressively violent for its time as well.

Guilty as Sin

Another trashy as hell 90s thriller and superb with it. Don Johnson spreads mayonnaise with a butcher's knife and it has one of the most inventive endings I've seen. Sidney Lumet was good imo.

Crawl

Third time I've watched this now - like all the best monster movies, just endlessly rewatchable. Shame that Scods is arseing around in Resident Evil films now.

The Super Cops (YouTube)

A bit like a comedy version of Serpico and every bit as good as that sounds. Very funny, with Rachel's dad from Friends especially excellent. One for you here, @Scott Malbranque

St Vincent. 

Been meaning to watch this for a while but I think I just thought of it as another grumpy old man gets redemption film. But it was lovely, really lovely. Bill Murray plays the grouch as you’d expect but Melissa McCarthy is superb. She’s such a good actor, so vulnerable and subtle in this. And to think, she’s often dismissed as “Loud fat funny friend” type. Bonus Wire points for Reg E Cathey being in it too, and Kima’s wife is in a scene. 

Yeah, lovely stuff. 

• Paid Members
3 hours ago, Keith Houchen said:

…but Melissa McCarthy is superb. She’s such a good actor, so vulnerable and subtle in this. And to think, she’s often dismissed as “Loud fat funny friend” type.

Maybe if she didn’t do so many of those roles, she wouldn’t be. I agree she’s shown at various times she’s a decent actor, but she also insists on staring in, and making some absolute dross, especially if her Husband is involved as well.

Come on, all comedy actors make loads of shit comedies let’s not pretend that the reason McCarthy is dismissed isn’t because she’s a big lady. It should be noted that she’s an excellent comedy actress as well just with a terrible quality filter like most of her peers. 

Edited by Mr_Danger

Hey, if it pays the bills take the roles. William H Macy said at the time that he did Jurassic Park 3 because it paid for his kids college tuition. Maybe not the best excuse to give there, hey Mace?!

I like those working actors who take the shit easy roles so that they can afford to do the small budget / challenging roles. Rosamund Pike is a good example of this. I really like her but fucking hell has she been in some awful films and just phoned it in. 

• Paid Members
38 minutes ago, Keith Houchen said:

Hey, if it pays the bills take the roles. William H Macy said at the time that he did Jurassic Park 3 because it paid for his kids college tuition. Maybe not the best excuse to give there, hey Mace?!

I like those working actors who take the shit easy roles so that they can afford to do the small budget / challenging roles. Rosamund Pike is a good example of this. I really like her but fucking hell has she been in some awful films and just phoned it in. 

Yeah and we all know about Michael Caine and Jaws 4. The difference is Melissa McCarthy isn’t getting big pay days to make crap blockbusters which affords her to do small indies which give better roles, most of her roles aren’t huge budget films. Ghostbusters and The Little Mermaid film coming out next year are probably the biggest. The other issue is some of those low budget indies have also been dross. Normally there is a balance, she and her husband seem to just be attracted to awful films.

1 minute ago, Hannibal Scorch said:

The difference is Melissa McCarthy isn’t getting big pay days to make crap blockbusters which affords her to do small indies which give better roles, most of her roles aren’t huge budget films

All the more reason to take a payday where you can then. Jennifer Anniston is similar. She’s proven her range but if she can phone it in nine times out of ten because the studio want Rachel Green then good luck to her. 

• Paid Members
18 hours ago, Devon Malcolm said:

Crawl

Third time I've watched this now - like all the best monster movies, just endlessly rewatchable.

Probably the most fun film I've watched in the past 5 years. The type of film they rarely make any more but I wish they'd do more of.

Prey is a welcome return to form for the franchise. The girl playing Neru is a big factor in this, I could have probably watched her fight a bear in the woods for 90 minutes and had just as great a time but the fact it was the Predator meant we got loads of cool kills on top of that. I can’t believe Dan Trachtenberg only has this and 10 Cloverfield Lane to his name, 2 for 2 so far.

Awakenings

I really loved this. Robin Williams was a fantastic actor, who doesn't get enough credit for his 'dramatic' roles.

Crimson Tide

Top notch mid 90s fare with bonus Jimmy G.

The Thin Red Line

I remember my Dad taking me to see this when it came out and walking out fuming as he hated it that much. I loved it. An absolute mess, but a beautiful one.

Jackie Brown

Still his best.

Boyz N The Hood

Still THE best.

The Last Castle

More Jimmy G goodness, this was excellent and what I especially loved about it, was how timeless it felt. Reminded me of films I'd watch with my old man when I was young, Papillon, Great Escape etc.

Blade Runner 2049

Now I get it. Probably the most visually stunning film I've ever seen.

At one point Gosling shags De Armas and Mackenzie Davies at the same time, the lucky LUCKY sod.

Irresistible 

This should've been a lot better than it was. Written by Jon Stewart and starring Steve Carrell, Rose Byrne, Chris Cooper, Mackenzie Davies, it just wasn't very funny or cutting.

The Gray Man

Fuck yeah!!! This was an absolute blast, and Chris Evans plays a prick so easily.

The Green Mile

I knew the gist of this obviously, but I didn't expect it to go the way it did. When John Coffey grabs Hanks dick, and then bugs fly out of his mouth...yeah I wasn't expecting that. Decent, and a pure Sunday evening film, but still prefer Shawshank.

Not Okay

I'll watch anything with Zoey Deutch in it (BONK!) and this was quite enjoyable. She plays someone desperate to be famous/noticed and fakes being a victim of something serious, and it all obviously unravels.

Mia Isaac was wonderful in the supporting cast, and it was so funny that they managed to get another character to be more hated than Deutch's but they do, in her coworker Harper, who tries to expose her. A proper cunt.

Collateral 

First time watching this, and absolutely loved it. Superb look about it, and the soundtrack is brilliant. Both leads are great and I could've happily watched more.

Lightyear

Utter, utter shit.

Point Break

I think it's my favourite action film of all time.

Edited by SuperBacon

• Paid Members
51 minutes ago, Mr_Danger said:

Prey is a welcome return to form for the franchise. The girl playing Neru is a big factor in this, I could have probably watched her fight a bear in the woods for 90 minutes

I said after The Ice Road, which was mediocre, that Amber Midthunder was going to be a huge star and hopefully Prey will help that. She was the best thing in The Ice Road and was actually great in it.

Edited by Devon Malcolm