VHS and Betamax You Have Recently Rented

Frankie Crisp

• Paid Members

Jurassic Park: Dominium.  Didn’t enjoy it.  Seemed like they had a few different ideas for the film, and used them all.  Very cluttered and not much fun.

• Paid Members

Top Gun (The original)

Confession - I had never seen the original in it's entirety. I know, I know., dickhead etc.

But finally, after 33 years on this Earth, I watched in preparation for the new one. And oh how they were wasted having not seen it. Mad, coked up 80's fun and games. Also, genuinely thought Goose snuffed it differently - for some reason I thought he got shot down in the final battle, so his actual death surprised me more than I thought it would. Two other things I noted - the sunset shots in the intro and replayed later on in the film with the planes taxi'ing look mint. Second, lots and lots of sweating. Which I suppose you would do in those scenarios, but decent attention to detail there. That's the summation of my film critiquing skills. 

• Paid Members

Went to see Top Gun Maverick (TOP GUN MAVERICK) again last night. Saw it opening night but my local had put on some premium showings of it again so opted to go for 4DX. I have seen a couple of films in this format prior and it's an interesting gimmick but much prefer IMAX if I am paying for premium viewing. On this ocassion though I cannot think of a film more suited for the technology. The flying scenes were even made more intense by the seat movement which at times felt I could have fallen out my seat. I have been on less impressive theme park rides. So whilst the film was just as enjoyable on a second watch, the 4DX was a perfect format to see this in. 6 bags of popcorn.

Saw Bullet Train yesterday and really enjoyed it. Fun script with very little filler dialogue and a fantastic cast that makes use of it.

The most I’ve enjoyed Brad Pitt in a long time, this role would’ve been shit and generically typecast with say a Ryan Reynolds type actor but thankfully Pitt doesn’t overdo facial expressions, isn’t unbearably smug and is actually cool. Star of the film is Aaron Taylor-Johnson - what a charismatic and handsome bastard that bloke is.

Very solid 4 stars.

Fast and Furious 4 or whatever it’s called. Probably the worst one, not helped by Gal Gadot stinking up every scene with her worse than Yodel delivery standards. 

Fast Five Thingy. Now we’re talking! I whooped with joy when The Rock turned up and let out a loud OH FOR FUCKS SAKE when Gadot turned up. The best of the bunch thus far though, excellent heist. 

512TD4

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, King Coconut said:

What's your second?

Well it ain't The Predator.

Saw Bullet Train today. Really enjoyed it as the stupid popcorn flick it was trying to be. Joey King was excellent and it's the first film of hers I have seen. The worst bit. David Letich's best work  

Spoiler

Why did they make Sandra Bullock on a PS4 rather then film her? Or if that was her now, what the hell has she done to herself. Also, the cameos were all shit. 

18 minutes ago, chokeout said:

Predators

The code is 

Predator, predators, prey, predator 2. 

And that's it. No other films exist with the Predator after that. 

Predators ? That shite with Adrian Brody trying to be a bad ass and the loser off 70's Show as main characters ?

Over Predator 2 with Danny Glover, Gary Busey and Bill Paxton. Its not a classic but at least its one I'd happily rewatch.  

• Paid Members

Predators is a love letter to the first movie and is ace. It also has Walton Goggins and is therefore superior to Predator 2 

Don't get me wrong, I love predator 2, it made my brother throw up when he saw it so will always hold a special place in my heart because I get to mention it to him as much as I can.