VHS and Betamax You Have Recently Rented

Frankie Crisp

• Paid Members

There are quite a few sites which have Movies 2 Watch free of charge if you don't want to give Jeff Bezos or the mouse your money.

Chip 'n' Dale: Rescue Rangers - Once you get past the 'oh look, its that character' stuff (which didn't do much for me anyway as most of my animation touchstones were late 90s rather than the period this was going for), it's a fairly bog-standard kids film. To be honest, I expected it to be more subversive and fun than it was coming from the director of Hot Rod (still one of the best comdies of the last 20 years by the way). It's okay, but it's nothing special. Which brings me to...

Everything Everywhere All At Once - I really wanted to like this more than I did. There are some fantastic scenes and some beautiful moments (I loved the rock scene) but a lot of the time it just felt like being quirky for quirkys sake, and I don't think its anywhere near as mind-blowing or revolutionary as people are making out. Maybe I'm being harsh as I think I have a problem with the hype rather than the film itself, but I expected more going in. The last time I remember a film having this kind of buzz was Parasite and that is a classic, whereas I don't think this will be remember all too much in a few years time. I do think I'll enjoy it more on a rewatch though now my expectations have been tempered.

The Contractor - Action/thriller from Amazon starring Chris Pine and Ben Foster. Unfortunately it squanders that cast. A few good moments but for the most part it's really boring and generic, much like their Without Remorse last year. Chris Pine looks more like the Team America puppet each passing day.

• Paid Members

Top Gun Maverick is great fun. Takes the best bits of the first film and adds actual storylines and throws in much more action scenes. Sure, it doesn’t have Tony Scott’s unique look, by Joseph Kosinski does an amazing job with the flight scenes. I much preferred it to the original, but it has enough homages to the first to please it’s fans. 

• Paid Members

We had an absolute ball at the pictures watching Top Gun Maverick. The most I've enjoyed watching a newly released film in quite sometime. Cruise is King of the Action genre these days. Most seem to naturally try to slow down as they get older, but Jesus, Cruise is seeing those gates start to close across the train lines and has just decided 'fuck it'. 

This manages to mix the serious moments with the funny ones very well, there's some nostalgia there without overdoing it and the flight scenes are incredible. Great Balls of Fire indeed. 

Edited by WeeAl

• Paid Members

Palm Springs - Very enjoyable romantic comedy about Andy Samberg being Groundhog Day'd at a wedding and accidentally dragging a couple of people into it with him. If you don't like Andy Samberg you might not like this because he's very much what you'd expect, but the supporting cast and the semi-serious tone of it bring it all back down to earth a little. Manages to do time-loops without it becoming overcomplicated and as usual J.K Simmons steals the show. 

Little Miss Sunshine - I had this on DVD back when it first came out and remember enjoying it, but I think as I've got older I can appreciate it more. Forgot how dark some of it was.
The way they have everyone else's life crumble around this little girl who you know is on her way to being humiliated and the way they resolve that is still one of the most satisfying endings in film. Greg Kinnear is a prick in it.

• Paid Members

Menace II Society

A shame, in a way, that Boyz n the Hood has always overshadowed it because this is just as good and arguably more incisive about racism in the police. The last 10 minutes are the only thing that lets it down.

The Night of the Iguana

Defrocked vicar Richard Burton absconds to Mexico and ends up tormented by Sue Lyon, Ava Gardner and Deborah Kerr. Poor sod! More Tennessee Williams sweat and brilliant dialogue, love this sort of character driven misery.

The Prime of Miss Jean Brodie (Great! Movies)

A weird one, in a way. Has this deeply feminist and sexually open lead character whose also a fascist sympathiser without the awareness that those she follows would hate what she is. Really well acted though and the last 15 or 20 minutes are ace.

Monsters Inc. (ok.ru)

Not top tier Pixar for me but still obviously very funny and written. Probably the best voice work of any Pixar to date as well, everyone adds a layer to their characters.

My Own Private Idaho

Turned it off halfway through. I don't know why I keep trying Gus Van Sant's films, I almost always hate them. His style just gets on my tits.

Bringing Out the Dead 

I have this theory that lower key Scorsese is the best Scorsese. I'd much rather watch this, After Hours and The King of Comedy than Goodfellas, Taxi Driver and The Wolf of Wall Street. 

The Cable Guy

Can't decide if Jim Carrey's performance is exactly what this film needed or ruins it. The karaoke scene the clear standout. Genuinely demented.

The War of the Worlds (1953)

Well that confirms that Spielberg's remake was clearly better. This one suffers from too much exposition and not enough of Martians blowing stuff up. Looks great though and some fun scenes.

Zulu

'allo, my name's James Bond. Still one of the greatest British films ever made, therefore fittingly slightly racist and about colonialism. The battle scenes have rarely been bettered.

The Right Stuff

So long that I started watching it on Friday and it's still going on now. Very sturdy Hollywood filmmaking but absolutely never needed to be 195 minutes long. Christ almighty.

Deep Rising

Still one of the better monster movies Hollywood has ever made. Imagine how good this could have been with a better cast - Famke Janssen excepted.

• Paid Members
30 minutes ago, Devon Malcolm said:

The Cable Guy

Can't decide if Jim Carrey's performance is exactly what this film needed or ruins it. The karaoke scene the clear standout. Genuinely demented.

I'm sure you won't be surprised that Carrey's wild showing in Cable Guy is possibly my favourite film performance ever. 

• Paid Members
51 minutes ago, Bellenda Carlisle said:

I'm sure you won't be surprised that Carrey's wild showing in Cable Guy is possibly my favourite film performance ever. 

I can see the appeal! I just can't decide if it was too much or exactly what that film needed.

19 hours ago, Devon Malcolm said:

Bringing Out the Dead 

I have this theory that lower key Scorsese is the best Scorsese. I'd much rather watch this, After Hours and The King of Comedy than Goodfellas, Taxi Driver and The Wolf of Wall Street. 

I watched this recently again as well and loved it all over. Superb Cage performance as well. Like a nicer Taxi Driver in some weird way

• Paid Members

Men A film that has the most spectacular drop in quality for a finale I’ve seen in years. Like a reverse Malignant. Great turns from Rory Kinnear and Jessie Buckley, but thought the film was rather slow to get going and when it did, wish I was watching anything else. I’ve seen it compared to Mother! Never saw it, so can’t compare but maybe if you liked that this will be for you. Highly disappointed.

• Moderators

I took my daughter to see The Bad Guys today for her first ever trip to the cinema. My local Vue has done the full recliner revamp so that was nice. The film was decent overall, with a few really great bits.

My daughter enjoyed it too, but not as much as she enjoyed announcing loudly to the cinema her guesses at what colour the smartie she just ate was. Overall she was very happy with the cinema experience.

• Paid Members

Men (cinema)

This is a really good film when it's just Jessie Buckley walking round the countryside but the last half an hour is a mess. An enjoyable and disgusting mess, but even so. Alex Garland's first misfire but I still enjoyed it.

Shrek 2 (cinema)

I fucking hate half-term.

Life (1999) (Netflix)

Surprisingly decent considering it's Martin Lawrence and Eddie Murphy in a 90s film. Funny but also works pretty well as a good prison drama.

The Lady in Red (ok.ru)

Excellent but unknown 70s crime drama based loosely around John Dillinger but focusing on Pamela Sue Martin's character. Really amazing what you can pack into 90 minutes when you try.

• Awards Moderator
4 hours ago, Devon Malcolm said:

Life (1999) 

I worked for a tiny 4 screen cinema when this came out. It came out the same weekend as the first South Park film. The middle aged dingbat in charge of programming picked this over South Park as "more people want to see Eddie Murphy than some cartoon shit." 

We were deserted all weekend.