VHS and Betamax You Have Recently Rented

Frankie Crisp

• Paid Members

Coraline

There are a few great animated studios around right now that get little attention, like Laika, because of you-know-who. Not my favourite of theirs as I wasn't that engaged by most of the characters. But the idea is great and the execution beautiful. Horror for kids is consistently one of the better genres in cinema.

The Daytrippers (YouTube)

The debut of the guy who made Superbad (which is awesome btw), and couldn't be much different. Starts funny, turns dark, largely a typical 90s talky comedy-drama but I generally love those and I did this. Also - Hope Davis in thigh-high socks, Parker Posey in green eyeliner and you almost see Stanley Tucci's arse. Choose your preference.

Apostasy (BBC 2)

Drama about a family of Jehovah's Witnesses based in Oldham. This was really tough to watch but also very well told and acted. Think it might still be on iPlayer so if you fancy a depressing story about religious indoctrination and control, this is for you.

Papillon (Prime)

Still laughing about the fact that for the remake they replaced Hoffman and McQueen with Malek and Hunnam. Trading two of the best actors of their generation for two of the worst of theirs. No wonder nobody went to see it. The original is still ace though and doesn't drag despite its length.

The Sweeper (DailyMotion)

Another PM Entertainment action banger from the 90s, features some ridiculously dangerous stunts and a brilliant scene where a car ploughs through a busy marina. Nothing better than 90s action films.

The Upturned Glass (Talking Pictures TV)

Britain generally didnt do noirs all that well but this is an exception. James Mason goes mad searching for the answers behind his GF's death and becomes murderous himself. The ending's fantastic, loved this one.

The Parent Trap (ok.ru)

The original one. About half an hour too long but pretty funny and cute for the most part. I've heard the Lohan remake is slightly better so I'll steal that one soon too.

Hell is for Heroes (ok.ru)

Grim war film with Steve McQueen. McQueen hated this and didn't enjoy the shoot at all because he felt he should be in higher profile roles after The Magnificent Seven. But him sulking actually helps his character and this is another pre-Dirty Harry cracker from Don Siegel that nobody remembers. That guy was great.

Shark! (ok.ru)

Barely a shark film at all, so almost certainly of no interest to @Frankie Crisp - or anyone else because it's boring.

48 minutes ago, TildeGuy~! said:

Just finished watching Chip and Dale Rescue Rangers 2022

It really is the Roger Rabbit of this generation, tons of fun, hundreds of cameos, if you were a child of the 80s/90s you really need to watch it.

I’m near the end of it now, such a fun movie with brilliant meta humour

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, RIDDUM_N_STYLE said:

I’m near the end of it now, such a fun movie with brilliant meta humour

It’s the first decent live action film they have released in a decade and they just gave it away for free on Disney +. They are idiots. Me and the wife, who grew up with the cartoon loved it and my daughter whose only seen a couple of episodes also loved it. It’s hit that sweet spot of having things for cross generations. The Lonely Island have been involved in yet another great comedy. Whilst it’s hard to have a favourite cameo or gag on the first watch (so much going on in the backgrounds), I loved 

Spoiler

The bootlegged films and the one I laughed hardest at was Bubba Gump Restaurant The Movie and I can’t even explain why. Also the final form of the villain was top notch.

Scream 2022

Stumbles a bit in the final act imo but overall I really enjoyed it. 

Spoiler

Wasn't particularly fond of the "toxic fan" motive but the actual final showdown was fun.

The revelation that they were at the OG murder house was pretty cool. 

I would say that this surely has to be the end but we all know they'll find a way to continue the series. 

Personal ranking. 

1, 2022, 4, 2, 3.

Really close between 2022 and 4.

• Paid Members

Chip and Dale Rescue Rangers

Never watched the original show so have zero nostalgia for it. We watched this purely off the back of Tim Robinson as Ugly Sonic.

What a brilliant film. Charming, funny, full of daft cameos and very likeable. Massively surprised by it.

16 hours ago, The King Of Swing said:

Scream 2022

Stumbles a bit in the final act imo but overall I really enjoyed it. 

Hide contents

Wasn't particularly fond of the "toxic fan" motive but the actual final showdown was fun.

The revelation that they were at the OG murder house was pretty cool. 

I would say that this surely has to be the end but we all know they'll find a way to continue the series. 

Personal ranking. 

1, 2022, 4, 2, 3.

Really close between 2022 and 4.

Scream 6 has already been announced, with a returning Hayden Panettiere.

Watched a bizarre little New World Pictures film called Cockfighter (1974) last night. 

It's directed by Monte Hellman, so it's a cut above most of the other exploitation fare that Roger Corman produced at the time. It's about a cockfighter (played by Warren Oates) who loses everything betting against another cockfighter (played by Harry Dean Stanton) and vows to remain silent until he gets it all back and wins Cockfighter of the Year. 

It's an odd engaging story and an interesting look at a subculture. The performances are really good and it's beautifully shot. Worth checking out as it's a tight eighty minutes, too, and available on Prime (with ads). 

• Paid Members
5 hours ago, SaitoRyo said:

Watched a bizarre little New World Pictures film called Cockfighter (1974) last night. 

It's directed by Monte Hellman, so it's a cut above most of the other exploitation fare that Roger Corman produced at the time. It's about a cockfighter (played by Warren Oates) who loses everything betting against another cockfighter (played by Harry Dean Stanton) and vows to remain silent until he gets it all back and wins Cockfighter of the Year. 

It's an odd engaging story and an interesting look at a subculture. The performances are really good and it's beautifully shot. Worth checking out as it's a tight eighty minutes, too, and available on Prime (with ads). 

Yeah, I've seen this and hated it. Not a fan of Monte Hellman's films, so there is that. God bless Warren Oates though.

2 hours ago, Devon Malcolm said:

Yeah, I've seen this and hated it. Not a fan of Monte Hellman's films, so there is that. God bless Warren Oates though.

Yeah, I'd be reaching if I said I 'liked it', but it was at least interesting and far from formulaic. And I'll watch pretty much anything from the era with an Oates or Harry Dean in it. 

• Paid Members

We watched Chip 'n' Dale last night - it manages to stay just the right side of being knowingly meta without becoming really annoying about it. The references and Easter eggs are fun, but I'm wary of the Ready Player One/Marvel-isation of cinema where "hey look, it's that thing from that thing! And that guy we all know!" dopamine hits are used in lieu of actual storytelling.

I don't think it's a modern day Roger Rabbit or anything like that, but it's a fun movie, though one that does somewhat make me question who it's for.