VHS and Betamax You Have Recently Rented

Frankie Crisp

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, Devon Malcolm said:

A Time to Kill (Netflix)

Once you've seen one John Grisham adaptation, you've seen them all. They're usually passable but this one was made by Joel Schumacher, who was a very bad director, and therefore it's absolutely awful. Hysterically entertaining at times but terrible. If you want a good sweaty Ashley Judd film (I do), watch The Passion of Darkly Noon.

I watch this a couple of months ago, and you're right it's cack. I adore 90s court dramas, they're like a comfort blanket to me. The cast is also really good, so it was a wallop in the chops that I couldn't get on with it. 

• Paid Members

I agree @Devon Malcolm it is indeed one of the best trilogy’s in film, and I know of some who slept on it because of the concept. The idiots. I also feel it’s an odd one in which each gets better then the previous. My concern is do I want to see more? It was so satisfying that another might spoil it. I know Fox were desperate for more before their acquisition, but what would you want to see them do next?

Also props for following it up with Congo. 

• Paid Members

Umma - I was quite disappointed with this. A mother-daughter horror story starring Sandra Oh, it has a lot of good individual parts (Oh is great as usual, Fivel Stewart is good, the sound design is really impressive and Dermot Mulroney is in it!) it just kind of meanders along then rushes the ending. A missed opportunity. Shame, as otherwise this could've made a really fun weird double-bill with Turning Red.

The Bubble - I quite like Judd Apatow as a director. I know his films are much too long but I always find them quite charming if not laugh out loud funny. This is an exception, and it's easily his worst. Really boring, way too many threads to care about, a completely wasted cast and not funny at all. A massive waste of time. Even worse, there's a gag at the end which basically states 'we know this film is shit' - if this is the case then do better! It does a good job of showing how daft these green-screen heavy CGI blockbusters must be to film though. 

Apollo 10 1/2: A Space Age Childhood - I loved this. The NASA parts are fine but everything to do with growing up, family, nostalgia for TV and films - all that stuff is just lovely. Can see this being a future comfort film for me. 

- It's absolutely fine but in no way deserving of the rave reviews that the A24 cult have been giving it (there's other film companies making/financing good stuff you know!) There's some decent gore and a few laughs to be had in it though. There's a fantastic crocodile scene in it about half-way through but it never reaches those heights again. 

Edited by Lorne Malvo

• Paid Members

The wife has picked The Bubble to watch.  About half way through and there’s been a few laughs, the highlight is Pedro Pascal’s acting in the film within the film as his character sounds exactly like Nandor from What We Do In The Shadows. That said, I can already tell this will be another Apatow film which could have done with 30 minutes cut out of it.

*** Actually it was only 40 minutes in. By halfway through we agreed to turn it off. The Batman felt shorter then this ***

Edited by Hannibal Scorch

• Paid Members

Shoot to kill (1988)

A cracking movie that seems to have been deleted from everything. Sidney Poitier's first film in 11 years. He plays an FBI agent on the trail of a murderer who has joined a hiking expedition to avoid capture. In a fantastic bit of casting, the group of hikers are all played by character actors known for being 80s bad guys,  so Its got a Hitchcock vibe for the first half. 

Tom Berenger is the mountain man guiding Poitier and they are both on excellent form. Well worth a watch if you can find somewhere to stream it. 

Butcher Baker Nightmare Maker - a cheesy 80s slasher about a budding basketball star getting mollycoddled by his aunt, who had raised him from the age of 3 after his parents died, and slowly descends into madness. It’s something that would be highly controversial these days due to the latent homophobia from one of the characters and the twist doesn’t really come as a shock by the end

• Paid Members

Got a call from my old man the other day who said he’d got a new DVD and couldn’t wait to watch it with me. I went over and he said “Sit down, we have TWENTY SEVEN hours of Thunderbirds to watch!” 

We sat down and watched a random episode called Sun Probe. What a great TV show this was! I was obsessed with it as a kid but haven’t watched it for over 25 years. I thought it would be crap to be honest, but I was blown away by the detail of it all, and there is more imagination in one minute of this show then a lot of the rubbish my kids seem to watch these days. It was so good that I’m shocked it’s not on TV anywhere to be honest. Any other Thunderbirds fans? I can’t wait to go back for another 26 hours. 

• Paid Members
3 hours ago, waters44 said:

Got a call from my old man the other day who said he’d got a new DVD and couldn’t wait to watch it with me. I went over and he said “Sit down, we have TWENTY SEVEN hours of Thunderbirds to watch!” 

We sat down and watched a random episode called Sun Probe. What a great TV show this was! I was obsessed with it as a kid but haven’t watched it for over 25 years. I thought it would be crap to be honest, but I was blown away by the detail of it all, and there is more imagination in one minute of this show then a lot of the rubbish my kids seem to watch these days. It was so good that I’m shocked it’s not on TV anywhere to be honest. Any other Thunderbirds fans? I can’t wait to go back for another 26 hours. 

The range of Gerry Anderson shows from then (Stingray, Captain Scarlett, to a lesser extent Joe 90) are all excellent in terms of quality. The recent Thunderbirds series just didn't have the charm because it lost it's uniqueness. It just became another cartoon of a family saving the world.

It's also why Team America is still the best Parker/Stone movie.

• Paid Members

I remember Stingray and have heard of Captain Scarlett (can’t remember it though). Never heard of Joe 90.

Look at this picture, this was the launch of the sun probe. I don’t know for sure but I’m guessing the sun probe was only used for one episode, so look at the trouble they went to for a model for just one episode. It’s crazy. 
1C8FC45C-81B6-4C80-9310-8951795F0BFA.webp.d60d4dffbc2d726506ba0237becde46e.webp

There is a documentary about it on Amazon called Supermarionation which I’m going to check out

Edited by waters44