VHS and Betamax You Have Recently Rented

Frankie Crisp

4 hours ago, waters44 said:

Got a call from my old man the other day who said he’d got a new DVD and couldn’t wait to watch it with me. I went over and he said “Sit down, we have TWENTY SEVEN hours of Thunderbirds to watch!” 

We sat down and watched a random episode called Sun Probe. What a great TV show this was! I was obsessed with it as a kid but haven’t watched it for over 25 years. I thought it would be crap to be honest, but I was blown away by the detail of it all, and there is more imagination in one minute of this show then a lot of the rubbish my kids seem to watch these days. It was so good that I’m shocked it’s not on TV anywhere to be honest. Any other Thunderbirds fans? I can’t wait to go back for another 26 hours. 

Your dad needs his own Twitch channel, or whatever the young people use. Him watching Thunderbirds and playing Farming Sim would be money. 

My dad got us the whole collection of Thunderbirds VHS, and I was obsessed with a guide book to all the Gerry Anderson series, from his black and white cowboy shows, to Fireball XL5, right the way through to the nightmares caused by the sisters in Terrahawks and outright weirdness of Dick Spanner. Thunderbirds was the real standout, of course. Watching them back now, you remember them being action-packed, but the majority of the time, the adventures were the lads problem-solving using their smarts and machines, then watching the plans unfold in agonisingly-tense action.

What a life the Tracys had. Nothing like saving the world in your rocket ship, then popping back home to your tropical island paradise and sparking up a few Marlboro lights around the piano.

Edited by CavemanLynn

My mum just got Britbox as I’d bought her an Amazon Fire Stick for her birthday and they have every episode of Thunderbirds on there including the new ones done by the team behind the Supermarionation documentary from the original audio plays

There was also a brand new documentary put up last Thursday to celebrate Thunderbirds day all about Gerry Anderson which was a fascinating watch

• Paid Members

a friend of mine works on movies as a costume designer, but for years worked with marionettes and puppets and whatnot. Years ago she actually bought some of the original molds for a couple of Thunderbirds characters. She's worked on Marvel, Star Wars and Disney live action stuff, but her dream jobs are The Muppets and a proper Supermarionation Thunderbirds reboot. 

• Paid Members

The Outfit (cinema)

2022 is Mark Rylance's year. The pandemic might be a bummer and all that, but all these one location thrillers that have popped up during restricted and lockdown shoots have been gems, and this is no different. Slightly missteps at the end but this was superb. Johnny Flynn and Zoey Deutch are great, too.

Frankenstein (1931)

It's Frankenstein, what do you think. Still the best version of the original story but The Bride of Frankenstein is actually slightly better, for me.

Replicant (Great! Movies)

One of Van Damme's several thousand films where he plays two of himself. More of a crime thriller than his usual action stuff and quite enjoyable with it.

About Schmidt

Not quite Alexander Payne's best (The Descendants) but there aren't many better at balancing comedy and drama, tragedy and the life-affirming. Nicholson's brilliant, obviously, and the ending never leaves your memory.

Lilo & Stitch (ok.ru)

Put this on after 4 minutes of the Liverpool vs United game. Shame they decided to domesticate Stitch too much, I liked the lad a lot more when he was destroying everything.

Edward Scissorhands (Film4)

One of Depp's more bearable performances but everybody's here for Winona, obviously. Pretty shallow stuff but also has plenty of funny moments, especially the kebab bit.

Southern Comfort (YouTube)

Love this film a bit more every time I see it. It's fucking brilliant. Works as a Vietnam allegory and a backwoods action / horror thriller as well. The end scenes ae the perfect use of sound design too. No reason why nobody wouldn't love this.

The English Patient

Quit telling your stupid story about the stupid desert and DIE already. DIE!

11 hours ago, Devon Malcolm said:

The English Patient

Quit telling your stupid story about the stupid desert and DIE already. DIE!

Best review of The English Patient, I've ever read.  I fucking hate that film, and not got much time for Minghella films in general. Talented Mr Ripley was shite too. 

Got round to watching No Time To Die (Prime)  it was a confusing, in so much that plot was shoehorned in for the sake of good byes. It was overly long hot mess of a film that didn't know what it wanted to do. Some good action sequences, but really missed it's mark a lot of the time. The Carribean stuff felt more like Death in Paradise than Bond (didn't help that there were shared actors either) 

Rewatched Planes, Trains and Automobiles (Netflix) too. Absolutely wonderful. 90 mins of pure joy

The Northman is fucking gorgeous, I haven't been at all interested in Viking and associated art for the longest time, also can't stand LOTR style fantasy but this made me fall in love with both norse culture and fantasy if only if just confined to this one film.

It's typically Eggers but on a bigger scale than before, and the action is just so visceral.

Spoiler

I did chuckle when the better looking and better built version of Edge caught a spear and lobbed it at a guys head tho, it was just so perfectly timed.

• Paid Members

The Stunt Man (1980)

I put this on in the background while I was working yesterday but after ten minutes it grabbed me by the balls and I was hooked

A criminal on the run inadvertently runs into a WW1 film set and begins to hide in plain sight as a stuntman. His head is all over the place and he finds it increasingly more difficult to separate the stunts from real life. 

He also has to deal with Peter O’Toole (who is fucking brilliant in this), the crazy British Director who couldn’t give a fuck about anything, or anyone. All he cares about is getting the perfect shot. 

Really great action scenes throughout and zips along nicely. The third act is a bit slow in places but in general this was a blast and highly recommended. There’s a decent version on YouTube 

• Paid Members
6 minutes ago, waters44 said:

The Stunt Man (1980)

I put this on in the background while I was working yesterday but after ten minutes it grabbed me by the balls and I was hooked

A criminal on the run inadvertently runs into a WW1 film set and begins to hide in plain sight as a stuntman. His head is all over the place and he finds it increasingly more difficult to separate the stunts from real life. 

He also has to deal with Peter O’Toole (who is fucking brilliant in this), the crazy British Director who couldn’t give a fuck about anything, or anyone. All he cares about is getting the perfect shot. 

Really great action scenes throughout and zips along nicely. The third act is a bit slow in places but in general this was a blast and highly recommended. There’s a decent version on YouTube 

Great film, this. Richard Rush wouldn't make another film for 14 years and came out of semi-retirement to make.... Color of Night.

• Paid Members

The Northman (cinema)

Yeah, pretty good. I don't really go for these medieval, sword-y things normally but this was lots of fun. Looks amazing, Anya is the best as ever, not as much rape as usual.

Bloodmoon (YouTube)

Gary Daniels is stalked by a psychotic martial arts obsessive who murders, among other people, Rob Van Dam. Great fights, utterly stupid, lovely.

The Bellboy

I'm trying some Jerry Lewis films to see if I like them. I've no idea. Maybe I should move to France and try one.

The Miracle of Morgan's Creek (Film4)

Fantastic Preston Struges farce that never stops for a single second and is completely packed with jokes, almost all of which land. My favourite of his so far but they've all been superb so far.

Pleasantville

This was really, really good until it pushes out its unbelievably stupid racism message towards the end, at which point I tuned out. JT Walsh rules forever though.

The Constant Gardener (Netflix)

There's really nothing at all interesting about this other than Rachel Weisz's arse, and she's shown that in other films that are actually good. I really can't be doing with Bill Nighy either.

Fantastic Beasts. Went to the Vue in Salford Quays for the first time. Are all Vue cinemas like this? Massive comfy chairs that recline and have a place to store your drink and a little side table. Fucking ace! Will definitely come here again!

Film was alright, couldn’t really remember the first two so wasn’t clear on who was who etc but it had Sexy Mads and nifflers. My girlfriend really enjoyed it so that’s the main thing.