VHS and Betamax You Have Recently Rented

Frankie Crisp

As some of you are aware, Vue have been showing the Aardman films throughout the school holidays. This week it’s Early Man, which I’d say is one of their weaker efforts.

On the flip side of that though, they’re also showing Paddington all week, which everyone should be watching regularly any way but this is a great excuse to see on the big screen again

• Paid Members
On 1/3/2022 at 5:53 PM, Factotum said:

LICORICE PIZZA - I doubt I will see a better film all year. I really like PTA films, but some can need a few watches to really appreciate them. This isn't one of them. I was quite taken with how free wheeling and carefree this is. The two leads are superb, its refreshing to see how normal they look up there, and you get that excitement that you are watching two stars being born. Hoffman has his Dad's little mannerisms, and Alana Haim could be the dark horse for the Best Actress Oscar this year. All in all superb and just fucking fun. Definitely high up on his best films. Going again at the weekend. 

Watched this on the plane a couple of weeks ago. I really like HAIM and was a bit mesmerised by Alana's performance at Glastonbury this year, so I was chuffed when I saw she was the lead in this movie. She's bloody brilliant in it, what natural charisma. 

21 hours ago, PunkStep said:

She's bloody brilliant in it, what natural charisma. 

Yeah it was a sensational debut performance in a film. She massively should have got an Oscar nomination for it. PTA being able to see her and think 'she'll be my lead' shows how that guys just on a different level

Fast And Furious 6. Didn’t feel it at all, worst one so far. The only good was 

Spoiler

Gal Gadots character dying, but knowing this franchise she will return as her twin in the next one. And STATHAM killing the time travelling Japanese bloke in the credits. 

• Paid Members
12 minutes ago, Keith Houchen said:

Fast And Furious 6. Didn’t feel it at all, worst one so far. The only good was 

Reveal hidden contents

Gal Gadots character dying, but knowing this franchise she will return as her twin in the next one. And STATHAM killing the time travelling Japanese bloke in the credits. 

Don't forget

Spoiler

Tokyo Drift took place after 4, 5 and just after the events of 6

On 8/22/2022 at 9:58 AM, Factotum said:

Yeah it was a sensational debut performance in a film. She massively should have got an Oscar nomination for it. PTA being able to see her and think 'she'll be my lead' shows how that guys just on a different level

It's possible it's because when PTA was in school the HAIM mother was his art teacher, looked exactly like Alana and he had a massive crush on her (he did then direct at least one HAIM music video)

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/11/22/movies/paul-thomas-anderson-licorice-pizza.html

20 minutes ago, organizedkaos said:

It's possible it's because when PTA was in school the HAIM mother was his art teacher, looked exactly like Alana and he had a massive crush on her (he did then direct at least one HAIM music video)

Possibly but that's a big jump to say 'She looks like someone I fancied' to 'She can carry an entire movie'

Oh yeah seeing that she could is definitely a testament to his talent and eye for what makes a good film. I just think the story behind it is interesting, shows a bit of insight into how someone like PTA might fold their life into their work (given the story of the film and the fact the mother was a crush he had around the age of the lead character)

Edited by organizedkaos

Top Gun: Maverick.

Exactly like the first one only really fucking good. It’ll be a sad day when all the weird shit Tom Cruise has been doing over the years comes fully to light, because he’s the last great movie star and I lack perspective.

Edited by Mr_Danger

21 hours ago, Mr_Danger said:

Top Gun: Maverick.

Exactly like the first one only really fucking good. It’ll be a sad day when all the weird shit Tom Cruise has been doing over the years comes fully to light, because he’s the last great movie star and I lack perspective.

Don't we already know what Cruise has been doing but nobody cares because he's Tom Fucking Cruise and him being insane is negated by the fact that he's the last great Movie Star?

19 minutes ago, Factotum said:

Don't we already know what Cruise has been doing but nobody cares because he's Tom Fucking Cruise and him being insane is negated by the fact that he's the last great Movie Star?

Yeah most people just ignore the Scientology shit. I'd say if anyone's a big movie star who's squeaky clean and due a scandal surely it's The Rock.

Nope

Disappointingly the weakest of the three Peele films but by no means bad. Worth watching just because it’s a pretty original take on a genre but despite the performances, of which Keke Palmer is the standout all being great it just lacks something in the execution.

Spoiler

I really loved the ‘Jaws in the sky’ twist but really wished they went full Tremors with it being set in a remote location just so there’d be a bit of tension when it attacked. Also needed to be shorter.

2 hours ago, Scott Malbranque said:

Thoroughly enjoyed Samaritan. It's not quite Unbreakable, but it giks and leaves  skidmarks all over Glass. And that's all that matters really, isn't it?

The world is somewhat right (besides the global downturn, violence, Covid, apples, Everton and all) with me again. 

A bloke in work was telling me about this this morning but given that he’s the guy still watching Bruce Willis films I assumed it was one of those.