VHS and Betamax You Have Recently Rented

Frankie Crisp

• Paid Members

Just watched Samaritan.  Enjoyable enough nonsense that even the really shit CGI at the end didn’t ruin.

Spoiler

Worked out that he was Nemesis in the first 5 minutes!

• Paid Members

Orphan:  First Kill.  Enjoyable enough thriller, but she doesn't look like a kid any more.

Spoiler

Got a bit pissed off with it till just after the half way point as it was just re-treading the first one, then a twist kicks in that really works and made the whole film.

• Paid Members
On 8/20/2022 at 10:16 AM, WyattSheepMask said:

As some of you are aware, Vue have been showing the Aardman films throughout the school holidays. This week it’s Early Man, which I’d say is one of their weaker efforts.

We went to all these except Early Man. Now Vue are showing a Pixar film every week - from this weekend it's Up.

A few notables I've seen lately:-

Bullet Train

Shite. The Ryan Reynolds Effect in action - another action comedy where the action is crap and the comedy is tired and no longer funny. Features American Actors Doing Bad English Accents in 2022 and terribly overplayed constant references to Thomas the Tank Engine. A waste of everyone's time.

Beast

Idris Elba vs a lion? Of course I'll take it. Does everything that you'd hope for and expect from such a film. We need loads more films like this.

The Gray Man

Fantastic. Everything that a huge budget Hollywood action film should aspire to have - cool characters, great set pieces, some funny parts, and Ryan Gosling. Delighted I got to see it at the cinema.

Prey

Really good. Only once does it become too corny with its Predator referencing and the CGI is sometimes awful but this was very exciting. Amber Midthunder is a star.

• Paid Members

Nope

Not as good as Peele's first two but that's more a reflection of their exceptional quality more than any faults with Nope, of which there are very few. I'm going to cry when he stops making horror films.

Fall

One of those thrillers that if you start to think about it at all, it falls apart and you won't enjoy it. It's 20 minutes too long but manages to sustain its tension quite well even if one twist is the most obvious ever put on screen and another is very good.

No Exit

Another film fucking Disney stopped from getting a cinema release and exactly the sort of low budget popcorn thriller that will make something back financially, and that was made for a lazy trip to the cinema. Cunts. Good little suspense film, just about 90 minutes long, rather good.

I just finished the series Fargo with Billy Bob Thornton so wanted to try out some of his films I'd not seen before. Watched Sling Blade last night and thought it was really great and can't believe I'd never heard if it before. Thornton disappears into the role of Karl, Dwight Yoakam is an excellent bad guy and John Ritter is understatedly funny as the mothers gay best friend.

• Paid Members
6 minutes ago, DCW said:

I just finished the series Fargo with Billy Bob Thornton so wanted to try out some of his films I'd not seen before. 

Highly recommend The Man Who Wasn't There and A Simple Plan if you haven't seen them.

8 minutes ago, Devon Malcolm said:

Highly recommend The Man Who Wasn't There and A Simple Plan if you haven't seen them.

He’s great in U-Turn as well, as is Joaquin Phoenix, still can’t work out if that’s a brilliant film or if it just thinks it is. Stone is no Aronofsky that’s for sure!

• Paid Members
10 hours ago, DCW said:

I just finished the series Fargo with Billy Bob Thornton so wanted to try out some of his films I'd not seen before. Watched Sling Blade last night and thought it was really great and can't believe I'd never heard if it before. Thornton disappears into the role of Karl, Dwight Yoakam is an excellent bad guy and John Ritter is understatedly funny as the mothers gay best friend.

Can’t watch Sling Blade without doing the voice for about 3 days after.

Apologies if this isn't allowed (and please feel free to delete if so), but I've been looking for somewhere to watch a particular film for an age and I cannot find it anywhere. 

Seems absurd on the ol' internet in 2022, but I can't find means legal or otherwise to view Cheatin' Hearts (alternately titled Paper Hearts). It's a 1993 drama/romance/comedy/western starring James Brolin, Sally Kirkland and Kris Kristofferson. 

If anyone is able to track it down, let me know! 

High Plains Drifter

It’s alright like, a good first half and it kind of falls away in the second half. There’s a fairly graphic rape at the start that is quite hard to get your head around, even for the time it was made. So the fun of the first half of the film where Clint Eastwood is picking apart this town was massively overshadowed by that first bit for me. Really neat concept for a western though.

The Alamo (2004)

Star spangled dog shit.

Bone Tomahawk

A rewatch from when it first came out. Everyone is great in this, the first time I watched it I was surprised at how good Mathew Fox was but second time around I think he steals the film. Richard Jenkins is the best old coot. The real star of this film is the ending though, what a fucking ending. S. Craig Zahler best get on with whatever he’s doing next.

• Paid Members
49 minutes ago, Mr_Danger said:

S. Craig Zahler best get on with whatever he’s doing next.

I'm not too excited about whatever it will be. Bone Tomahawk is brilliant but Brawl In Cell Block 99 was a significant drop in quality and Dragged Across Concrete is a fucking ugly, ugly film.

I like Zahler (particularly his novels - A Congregation Of Jackals would be an absolutely incredible film) but the nihilism and hints of racism in his stuff unsettles me at times.