VHS and Betamax You Have Recently Rented

Frankie Crisp

On 11/4/2022 at 4:42 PM, Devon Malcolm said:

Watcher (cinema)

Superb thriller that surprisingly nails its ending. Maika Monroe is doing the 'woman in peril' role better than anyone around right now. Bucharest looks lovely, too!

I really fancy this, but just wondering how much of the dialogue is in Romanian? I think it's showing at a (reasonably) local cinema here, but it will be an original language version with Czech subtitles, meaning anything in Romanian won't be translated into English. 

• Paid Members
3 hours ago, SaitoRyo said:

I really fancy this, but just wondering how much of the dialogue is in Romanian? I think it's showing at a (reasonably) local cinema here, but it will be an original language version with Czech subtitles, meaning anything in Romanian won't be translated into English. 

This thread says 75% of the film is in Romanian but is intentionally not subtitled, so you should be fine.

• Paid Members
3 hours ago, SaitoRyo said:

None of the Romanian dialogue in the film is translated or subtitled, it's quite an important part of the whole thing.

• Paid Members

Of course, if they *do* subtitle the Romanian stuff then they're diluting the point of some of the story. Tell the Czechs to get a refund if that happens!

Edited by Devon Malcolm

Lords of Chaos

Rory Culkin was a lot better than I expected him to be. I’ve never seen him in anything before so I don’t know why I had such low expectations of him. The movie was surprisingly graphic with its depictions of violence which threw me a bit. I didn’t mind it overall considering I'm not a big fan of biopics. Although the lad who played Varg was not convincing as a intimidating murderer. I couldn’t take him seriously at all as he just seemed like a wet nana’s kid the whole time, even when he was trying to be menacing. 

13 minutes ago, wordsfromlee said:

I know, but in the movie he's supposed to be.

I didn’t get that from the movie to be honest, I thought they were just showing what tragic berks they are. Mind you, the guy playing Varg was the absolute spit of a mate of mine so that took me out of the film every time he was on screen. 

7 hours ago, wordsfromlee said:

Lords of Chaos

Rory Culkin was a lot better than I expected him to be. I’ve never seen him in anything before so I don’t know why I had such low expectations of him. The movie was surprisingly graphic with its depictions of violence which threw me a bit. I didn’t mind it overall considering I'm not a big fan of biopics. Although the lad who played Varg was not convincing as a intimidating murderer. I couldn’t take him seriously at all as he just seemed like a wet nana’s kid the whole time, even when he was trying to be menacing. 

Played him to perfection

• Awards Moderator
2 hours ago, cobra_gordo said:

Just watched the new All Quiet On The Western Front. I thought it was fantastic. Heart-breaking and stressful but fantastic. 

Saw this a couple of weekends ago and thought it was excellent. I'm glad I watched it on Netflix as I had to pause it a couple of times to gather myself enough to be able to continue watching. Brutal, relentless and very upsetting, but absolutely worth watching.

Edited by HarmonicGenerator