VHS and Betamax You Have Recently Rented

Frankie Crisp

• Paid Members
3 hours ago, Mr_Danger said:

High Plains Drifter

It’s alright like, a good first half and it kind of falls away in the second half. There’s a fairly graphic rape at the start that is quite hard to get your head around, even for the time it was made. So the fun of the first half of the film where Clint Eastwood is picking apart this town was massively overshadowed by that first bit for me. Really neat concept for a western though.

It's probably the best film Eastwood's directed, for me, but it's certainly problematic. Difficult to look past that scene but the rest of it is brilliant.

3 hours ago, Mr_Danger said:

Bone Tomahawk

A rewatch from when it first came out. Everyone is great in this, the first time I watched it I was surprised at how good Mathew Fox was but second time around I think he steals the film. Richard Jenkins is the best old coot. The real star of this film is the ending though, what a fucking ending. S. Craig Zahler best get on with whatever he’s doing next.

2 hours ago, LaGoosh said:

I'm not too excited about whatever it will be. Bone Tomahawk is brilliant but Brawl In Cell Block 99 was a significant drop in quality and Dragged Across Concrete is a fucking ugly, ugly film.

I like Zahler (particularly his novels - A Congregation Of Jackals would be an absolutely incredible film) but the nihilism and hints of racism in his stuff unsettles me at times. 

I like Zahler's films a lot but I think Dragged Across Concrete especially is a film of questionable tone, to a degree. The racial aspects are played up to such a loud degree that I could almost believe he's taking the piss out of Gibson and Vaughn's real life views, but it's a reach. As a crime film though, I love it. Like the grottiest 70s crime drama ever made after that decade. Really liked Brawl in Cell Block 99 as well.

1 minute ago, Devon Malcolm said:

I like Zahler's films a lot but I think Dragged Across Concrete especially is a film of questionable tone, to a degree. The racial aspects are played up to such a loud degree that I could almost believe he's taking the piss out of Gibson and Vaughn's real life views, but it's a reach. As a crime film though, I love it. Like the grottiest 70s crime drama ever made after that decade. Really liked Brawl in Cell Block 99 as well.

This was sort of my feeling. I also thought like it was maybe trying a little bit too hard to be 'SO WHAT DO YOU THINK ABOUT THIS?' But on the whole I really liked it.

As you say his last 2 films have been the sort of exploitation films I enjoy from a different era.

I filed Brawl and Dragged Across Concrete under ‘Good films I’ll never watch again’. The problem with the racism in Dragged Across Concrete is that it’s not just the lens of the characters that you see it through but the lens of the film maker. He’s definitely not a boring film maker though and I’ll always have time for that.

Edited by Mr_Danger

• Paid Members
28 minutes ago, Mr_Danger said:

I filed Brawl and Dragged Across Concrete under ‘Good films I’ll never watch again’. The problem with the racism in Dragged Across Concrete is that it’s not just the lens of the characters that you see it through but the lens of the film maker. He’s definitely not a boring film maker though and I’ll always have time for that.

I rewatched Brawl in Cell Block 99 and it definitely dropped a bit in quality on a second viewing, which is why I opted not to watch Dragged Across Concrete again. It reminded me a lot of The Friends of Eddie Coyle though, which is about as high an endorsement as I can give it.

But even so, I think it's great that Zahler is around and making films that challenge viewers but do so in a way that are at least good works and excellent genre cinema.

Edited by Devon Malcolm

3:10 To Yuma (2007)

Got a lot of time for this one. In what must have been the moodiest film set in history comes a great looking western with a fantastic cast. I thought they could have got the ending over a bit better than they did but I liked what they were going for. Only thing I would have preferred is if they swapped in big fat Russell Crowe for sexy Russell Crowe. Think I’ll seek out the original at some point. 

• Paid Members

@Tommy!, I’ve found the perfect film for you to watch at the cinema. The Forgiven (2022). Not completely satisfied with its pacing, but thought it was an interesting fable like tail and the cast were good (including Matt Smith still atoning for Morbius)

Edited by Hannibal Scorch

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, Mr_Danger said:

3:10 To Yuma (2007)

Got a lot of time for this one. In what must have been the moodiest film set in history comes a great looking western with a fantastic cast. I thought they could have got the ending over a bit better than they did but I liked what they were going for. Only thing I would have preferred is if they swapped in big fat Russell Crowe for sexy Russell Crowe. Think I’ll seek out the original at some point. 

I might rewatch this. I didn't really like it when I first saw it, I had issues with the characters' relationship. The original had similar problems (to me, anyway) so you may well like it.

13 minutes ago, Devon Malcolm said:

I might rewatch this. I didn't really like it when I first saw it, I had issues with the characters' relationship. The original had similar problems (to me, anyway) so you may well like it.

Yeah that was my main gripe, Russell Crowe’s character was pretty inconsistent with his actions and motivations. They didn’t sell his growing admiration for Christian Bale’s character enough and he was constantly in conflict with that anyway. 

Crimes of the Future... Would I recommend this film to people? Probably not but I loved every second of it, it's David being completely and utterly self-indulgent making a gorgeous and gross movie for himself. His weird body horror kinks on full show with more than a few nods towards earlier films.

5 pretentious Merzbows out of 5.

• Paid Members

Poltergeist (40th Anniversary 4K Restoration) Somehow I’d never watched this before, but a 4DX re-release meant I chose this over Clerks 3. I can see why it is so revered in horror circles. Great cast, and a great final third. But the 4DX experience really added to the viewing. It genuinely added to the film experience and it felt like the cinema was possessed. Absolutely recommend it.  

• Paid Members

See How They Run

Eh. I'm not the target audience for this because I hate whodunnits, Agatha Christie and Sam Rockwell but I still think, taking a step back, this isn't very good. Can't decide if it's an homage or a satire or both. Has a couple of terrible self-referential gags, the ending is shit, and Sam Rockwell does an 'English' accent. However, Saiorse Ronan is so amazing in it than it's genuinely worth seeing just for her. She's a treasure.

Interceptor

Netflix tries an action vehicle for Elsa Pataky and while she's up to it, the film isn't particularly. A few decent bits of action, that's about it. Also has a terribly overplayed and predictable cameo.

I, Robot

Enjoyed this a lot when it came out at the cinema and it's still a lot of fun even though the effects have aged terribly and it's got Shia Laboeuf in it. The assembly line scene is brilliant.

Dashcam

The same guy who did that early Covid lockdown splitscreen horror film Host, which I didn't like, tries a similar trick for a found footage horror film. Like most found footage films it's awful but made even worse by having an unbelievably irritating lead character who apparently is a real life Covid denier, anti-vaxxer twat so what they were going for here, I don't know.

P'tang Yang Kipperbang

P'tang yang kipperbang, uhh.

Open Range

Another one I’ve seen before but I’m fucked if I could remember anything other than the beginning. I always remember liking it though and nothings changed there. Costner should have taken a leaf out of Clint Eastwood’s book and just directed himself in a shit load of westerns. He’s got an excellent eye for it. I’ve not seen Dances With Wolves because it’s about 3 days long and I assume The Postman is a banger being based on such a fine profession but his next one has quite the cast and a decent sounding plot so maybe he’ll continue his later years renaissance yet. Duvall is great in this, he’s been old forever hasn’t he?

• Paid Members

Jaws in 3D.A rare case of a great 3D conversion and a chance to see Jaws in the cinema again. It will always be in my top 5, its an almost perfect film with 3 outstanding performances. 

And I got home and Jaws 2 was in telly. What a day!