Wrestling #MeToo #SpeakingOut

Keith Houchen

On top of the previously mentioned changing of his story from shes a stalker who made it all up to ok I had an affair but it was consensual I reckon a body language expert would have a field day over the fact he couldn't even look a camera in the eye as he rolled his eyes and looked away whilst denying the allegations.

• Awards Moderator

Yeah, without wanting to go all Tim Roth on this, his body language, hand and eye gestures during the key parts of that don’t exactly scream confidence. 

But as you’d expect, that video seems to be enough to convince a large dollop of twats that it’s all good, he’s a top bro for opening up and she’s a lunatic. Honestly, I fucking hate the collective idiocy of the internet.

Yeah, his body language is not good there at all. Along with the lack of eye contact with the camera, I believe that the look up to the top left is a classic indication of a lie - as I understand it, the creative side of our brain is on the left looking forward and we tend to naturally look in that direction when we’re invoking our creativity.

Havn't watched the video but read the transcript.

It does annoy me the whole "you starting harassing me and stalking me" as a means to garner sympathy. Fucks sake. You make your bed and lie in it. The guy probably broke the girls bloody heart and then tries to walk away / act like it never happened.

11 hours ago, AVM said:

Yeah, his body language is not good there at all. Along with the lack of eye contact with the camera, I believe that the look up to the top left is a classic indication of a lie - as I understand it, the creative side of our brain is on the left looking forward and we tend to naturally look in that direction when we’re invoking our creativity.

Not true. You need a baseline of normal for the person. The brain sides argument has been widely debunked. I'd look for lip pursing, shrugs, incongruent nods etc. 

3 hours ago, Michael_3165 said:

Not true. You need a baseline of normal for the person. The brain sides argument has been widely debunked. I'd look for lip pursing, shrugs, incongruent nods etc. 

And of course, my personal favourite, "duping delight"

Blimey, I've not posted on here for about 10 years at least, but like some other posters earlier in the thread have mentioned such a serious subject has drawn me back in. I saw some cryptic comments on social media and thought I would take a look. It has saddened me to see some people I used to chat to at shows 15 years back and promoters, trainers, and wrestlers I know have clearly gone down a very wrong path, and thank heavens for the brave women (and men) who have found the courage to speak out, lets hope it leads to prosecutions and lasting change. 

Society has certainly changed a lot over 20 years. I look back on the period when I was involved loosely in a few shows and reflect on things I saw and heard about the UK business and realise the culture was so wrong, wrestling should not be afforded special status and feel exempt from any moral or even legal scrutiny. I realised what the business could be like and stepped away from involvement and got married and had kids. However my son is now getting into wrestling and I was thinking of taking him to some Britwres shows after lockdown, I think I will put that idea on hold for now. 

I won't lecture you on how you should feel but I was talking to somebody on Twitter about Britwres and I told him that I wouldn't recommend promotions post-Covid who I didn't feel were decent people pre-Covid.  One of those promoters booked David Starr and has said they'd never book him again.  If they were unaware of his real personality or had been taken in by his charm (which is a theme with abusers) but they are willing to put things right in future and put them right for good, I'm willing to give them the benefit of the doubt.  If said promoter was a shit, I wouldn't give them the benefit of the doubt.  It's a case-by-case basis certainly, just as wrestlers are.