Wrestling #MeToo #SpeakingOut

Keith Houchen

• Paid Members
4 minutes ago, Liam O'Rourke said:

As an aside, when the building called the promoter to say Ospreay didn't want the person booked, what was the outcome? Did the promoter oblige, did he explain it to the building and they backed off, what happened?

Obliged, if the story as recounted on Twitter was true. 

I don't believe they were told Ospreay didnt want the person booked, other than a few people were "uncomfortable" with Polly being booked. The venue relented in the end but the promotor had already withdrawn her (the promotion in question IWL has pointed the finger at Ospreay but in the released correspondence I dont believe his name was mentioned, someone please correct me if I am wrong)

• Paid Members
9 minutes ago, Liam O'Rourke said:

Not once have Hannibal or I defended anything, we've been pretty clear on that. The point is that there are levels of degree with the offenses mentioned, and people shouldn't lose sight of it.

And nobody's saying he should be put in the same league as rapists or harassers. It's not clear if there are or can be consequences. But if some fans are uncomfortable with RevPro acting as if it didn't happen, that seems fair too.

3 minutes ago, Tuna Taco said:

I don't believe they were told Ospreay didnt want the person booked, other than a few people were "uncomfortable" with Polly being booked. The venue relented in the end but the promotor had already withdrawn her (the promotion in question IWL has pointed the finger at Ospreay but in the released correspondence I dont believe his name was mentioned, someone please correct me if I am wrong)

Edited by Chris B

Cheers dude. If people don't approve of Will because of the story and don't go to watch him because of it, that's their call and their right, nothing to object to there.

Stepping away from Will for a moment, if we're looking at responsible parties, I'm not a fan of overlooking the promoters who say "okay" and back down to the bullshit either, just because it might affect them financially. If it is true that the promoter in this case obliged and removed an innocent person from the card, had I told a building that the person they want off the card was victim of a sexual assault and the person pushing for her to be gone doesn't know the full story (or does and is defending the accused), and the building said they still wanted them gone, I wouldn't want to work with the building any more. It's easy to say, "gosh, what a horrible thing they've done, guess I have no choice", but it takes a bit more to say, "fuck that, it isn't right and I'm not going along with it." If people want to fix the problem, we need more of the latter than the former. Again, I don't know what details were discussed and what weren't, but part of all of these problems is that the system facilitates it when convenient.

EDIT - Another question for those that followed the story closer than I: did any other promoters come out and say the same happened with them, or was it just the one?

Edited by Liam O'Rourke

• Paid Members

So what’s the deal with wrestling? As I thought it was not possible through social distancing rules still in affect, but clearly there’s some loophole or “interpretation” with boxing returning in Hearn’s back garden last weekend, etc.

• Paid Members
3 hours ago, Your Fight Site said:

So what’s the deal with wrestling? As I thought it was not possible through social distancing rules still in affect, but clearly there’s some loophole or “interpretation” with boxing returning in Hearn’s back garden last weekend, etc.

It would come under performing arts where the rule is "social distancing wherever possible." Two guys doing a match would come under " If close contact is absolutely essential, minimising this and using fixed teams where possible." There is probably an argument that it should be singles matches only.

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/working-safely-during-coronavirus-covid-19/performing-arts#arts-5-7

Nah sorry but fuck Ospreay and his Florida shaped head forever. Imagine hearing your mates fucking assaulted someone like that and your first thought is to protect your mates job. I don't give a shit if he's down the green end on some clap-o-meter of evil. Someone with that kind of attitude and capability to do that, and to then also have done it, verifiably if i'm reading the thread right, that's a dangerous fucking person who needs to grow up fast and have a long, long fucking look at how he operates on a very basic human level. That is not a cunt I want anywhere near any fucking show with me, men, women, kids, anyone until he's shown a serious amount of effort in changing the way he thinks and works.

If there's going to be any kind of code of conduct, how do you work with someone whos done that? Dyou flag that up in a CRB or background check? If I book Ospreay and he brings a mate or friends or crew or workers, do I then have to hope none of them are as dangerous as his other mates?

Edited by Cannibal Man

The other thing to consider is the influence and status he has. It’s an abuse of power, he may not have assaulted someone physically but it’s an abuse of power. Fuck him and his fanboys defending him because he can do flips and shit. 

• Paid Members

One thing I've noticed with all this, including someone just on twitter who I've had to give a slapping to, is that the blame game starts with the girl doesnt it? Its frightening. I've just had a big argument on twatter because I asked ROH (who is restarting soon) if they are addressing the Marty Scurll stuff. After a long back and forth, some vintage 2011 Ian shit posting included, the tosser asks this:

"How do you know? Where you there? All I read was Scrulls tweet. Please show me proof to the contrary."

This cunt had only read Scurll's statement and based his opinion around that. People are just twats.

9 minutes ago, IANdrewDiceClay said:

This cunt had only read Scurll's statement and based his opinion around that.

It’s exactly the same as blokes basing their opinion of a sexual assault allegation on the badge on the shirt of who is accused. Much like some fans of a football club, ROH or whatever organisation is part of some people’s identity. They won’t accept it as to them it’s a personal attack. Same with any fandom I suppose but wrestling seems one of the worst. 

19 hours ago, Tuna Taco said:

What venue was this that got so involved in a wrestler dictating the running of a show? Don't need the name but i'd like to know the type of venue. I can't imagine a big sports hall or theatre type venue doing anything more than telling Osprey to jog on if he tried that.

It doesn’t help that meltzer is out there in public saying that Polly has zero credibility. A too large portion of the minuscule wrestling fandom remaining seem to make their decisions based on what he says so that’s never good.

Edited by Yakashi

It's the good and bad of social media as always. It's given victims a voice when they need it, but it's also allowed other idiots to chime in with their uninformed opinions.

I love all the stuff like "well so n so was nice to me when I met them!". Ah yes, because paying someone to smile at you for a second at a meet and greet is definitely the best way to judge character.

"Oh they seem nice on TV!"

Sigh.

There will always, sadly, be fans that will stick by their favourites no matter what. It won't matter what they say or do. The fans will always find a way to spin it in such a way that they still believe their idols are in the right somehow.