Wrestling #MeToo #SpeakingOut

Keith Houchen

On 9/22/2020 at 8:07 PM, mikey said:

Who else is being sued or has been legal lettered? 

To my knowledge its mainly the WWE guys who are standing by their denials and have therefore had the backing of a legal team. Maybe Joey Ryan? 

No contact on my end as discussed. As I say, I don't think too many will go down the libel route, unless its literally in a 'I can afford lawyers and you can't' kind of way. A lot of these cases can be proven on the balance of probability (i.e. the burden required to successfully defend a libel case) but not beyond all reasonable doubt (so victims would struggle to prove a criminal case against the accused). I think a lot of guys will just be satisfied with shutting up their accusers - I'm in that category I think.

• Paid Members

RevPro Equity Code of Conduct

Thought this might be of interest. RevPro have come to to terms with Equity. There are 3 .pdfs within the link that go into detail. I'm glad they have stepped up but I'm not sure how enforceable it will all be.

43 minutes ago, DEF said:

RevPro Equity Code of Conduct

Thought this might be of interest. RevPro have come to to terms with Equity. There are 3 .pdfs within the link that go into detail. I'm glad they have stepped up but I'm not sure how enforceable it will all be.

I really wouldn't get too excited by these things, many multinational energy companies have these and far more gimmicks up their sleeve, yet still are involved in human slavery, coup d'etat plots and all kinds.

1 minute ago, AndiRush said:

I really wouldn't get too excited by these things, many multinational energy companies have these and far more gimmicks up their sleeve, yet still are involved in human slavery, coup d'etat plots and all kinds.

Yeah, not to get excited, but it is a start. Everything has to start somewhere.

While it’s at least a start, RevPro have an ongoing issue. No matter what they do, and however it goes, the immediate response from many people will continue to be:

”Yes, but when are you going to stop booking Will Ospreay?”

Edited by uklaw

• Paid Members
6 minutes ago, uklaw said:

While it’s at least a start, RevPro have an ongoing issue. No matter what they do, and however it goes, the immediate response from many people will continue to be:

”Yes, but when are you going to stop booking Will Ospreay?”

And the answer is likely always to be "when people stop paying to see him on shows". 

• Paid Members
7 minutes ago, Tommy! said:

And the answer is likely always to be "when people stop paying to see him on shows". 

Understandably, this.

Though if people are already wedded to the idea - not unreasonably - that Ospreay has bullied and blackballed people, then they're not going to accept any part of RevPro's policy as worth the paper it's written on if their anti-bullying policy doesn't cover him.

From a consumer perspective, people would probably start taking the "I can't support RevPro as long as they're booking Ospreay" stance a lot more seriously if the people Tweeting it weren't five minutes later Tweeting their hot takes on the G1, though.

If you are gonna stop booking him based on the actual evidence, which so far is two people saying that someone used his name to get someone unbooked for an unrelated company, then I’d love to see people’s reaction if they lost a job themselves based on something similar. Everyone has a right to not watch a show with him on it, that’s free to do. Until there is something more concrete that was is alleged has taken place then I don’t think it’s fair to expect Rev Pro to stop using him.

I say that as someone who’s never watched a Rev Pro show, from the outside they just look to be a promotion that seems cool to take shots at as they don’t have that big an online presence or pretend to be everyone’s mate like other promotions with more issues to address in behaviour at their shows. 

• Paid Members

Things like Equity guidelines also need industry-wide backing. I've mentioned it before, but my company is a member of Dancers Network, which is affiliated with Equity, and they use Terms & Conditions laid down by Equity. What that means in real terms isn't that production companies have to abide by those T&Cs, but that they would be unlikely to be able to get well-trained, professional performers to work on their projects unless they do. The campaign is still young, and not all the production companies have got the message yet, not to mention there are dance agencies who are just looking out for themselves thus undercutting the ones who are sticking to their guns, but change is gradually forthcoming. 

It's difficult to translate over to wrestling, because it's a different system, but on the face of it, I'd say that it needs promotions to all sign up and refuse to book problematic wrestlers, while also requiring other wrestlers refusing to work for promotions who don't agree to the guidelines, thus depriving them of talent that would make them money.

The problem with either situation is whether or not promotions or wrestlers give enough of a damn to do so without a governing body breathing down their necks.

Edited by Carbomb

• Paid Members

To be honest, I personally "boycotted" RevPro years ago based on repeated shithouse behaviour at the few shows I attended that just generally left a bad taste in my mouth. The treatment of Aaron Wilde and the absolute pig's ear they made of the fall-out from that only cemented that, so I definitely think there's more going on than them just being the cool promotion to target - I wouldn't trust anyone there to watch my pint while I went for a piss, let alone to develop a comprehensive code of conduct.

The Ospreay situation is a complete mess, though, and seems to have as much to do with people wanting to score points on Twitter as it does with any effort to actually enforce change. He doesn't come out smelling of roses in any interpretation of events, but there are sides to those stories that either haven't been heard or have been shouted down/ignored because they don't fit neatly into Twitter point-scoring. 

With equity, I can’t remember if I shared this in the thread, but when dating a prominent opera singer, she told me of auditions where she was asked to fake an orgasm using a pack of cards and some other really lewd stuff that had nothing to do with the role she was going for. From that, I don’t see equity being a great bringer of change to any industry when it comes to the sex side of what’s been going on 

1 hour ago, Carbomb said:

, while also requiring other wrestlers refusing to work for promotions who don't agree to the guidelines

and that will always be an issue. People who have other options likely won't work for companies that dont meet the required guidelines but the amount of people who will work anywhere if they a] get paid and/or b] get to be on a show so that they can say they've been on a show likely won't go away. 

• Paid Members
2 hours ago, Louch said:

With equity, I can’t remember if I shared this in the thread, but when dating a prominent opera singer, she told me of auditions where she was asked to fake an orgasm using a pack of cards and some other really lewd stuff that had nothing to do with the role she was going for. From that, I don’t see equity being a great bringer of change to any industry when it comes to the sex side of what’s been going on 

Not in itself, no. That's why it needs industry-wide backing and cooperation. Equity's still needed because there needs to be guidelines that people can point to as a standard for behaviour, so that if someone violates or fails to meet those standards, it can be actionable. But they're only one element to solving this problem.