Wrestling #MeToo #SpeakingOut

Keith Houchen

If you are comparing wrestling to martial arts, that’s where numbers come in. That there are hundreds of karate clubs across the uk makes managing them viable . How many schools are in uk? I know of 10 in Scotland off top of my head. I can see easily why any sports organisation would dismiss the time and effort to get involved.

Ultimately people involved need to raise their standards on who they associate with, and get peoples stories taken more seriously when things occur. I see a lotta tweets tarring everyone named in any shape or form as needing kept out of wrestling for life. All I can see working is say have the larger promoters come together, and decide what degrees of punishment should be given for instances so we have standards across the board. Not everyone will be happy, but let’s face it no matter what happens people won’t think it’s gone far enough. There is no 100% fix on this 

37 minutes ago, Louch said:

All I can see working is say have the larger promoters come together, and decide what degrees of punishment should be given

This is an awful idea. It’s self policing and closes shop. WWE for example should not have any say what is acceptable as they’re the worst for what goes on under their watch that they allow. 

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, AVM said:

Is there a Sport UK equivalent for performing arts? That for me is where wrestling would naturally fit. It’s choreography with added risk. I think it would most naturally fit alongside touring dance shows.

If we’re going down that route, then what about stunt schools and performers? I assume they’re vetted. I’d hope someone would knock my doors down if I decided tomorrow I wanted to set up a “school” and start setting people on fire or throwing them down stairs.

1 hour ago, Your Fight Site said:

If we’re going down that route, then what about stunt schools and performers? I assume they’re vetted. I’d hope someone would knock my doors down if I decided tomorrow I wanted to set up a “school” and start setting people on fire or throwing them down stairs.

Indeed. Wrestling seems to have this feel that it’s outside usual convention so conventional rules don’t apply. Well they do and this arrogance of being outside the law is a big part of the problem. 

• Paid Members
13 hours ago, Louch said:

I’d agree that wrestling doesn’t fit under sport. It’s athletic but it’s not a sport. It’s a weird hybrid of dance, stuntman & acting....

By that rational, martial arts forms and display teams aren't a sport. 

14 hours ago, Nostalgia Nonce said:

By that rational, martial arts forms and display teams aren't a sport. 

Martial arts are usually a legit competition are they not? If display teams aren’t in a competitive end goal, then yeah that’s not a sport either 

21 hours ago, Keith Houchen said:

This is an awful idea. It’s self policing and closes shop. WWE for example should not have any say what is acceptable as they’re the worst for what goes on under their watch that they allow. 

It’s time to start facing that the ideal world of some legit organisation coming in and cleaning everything up and everyone living happily ever after. It’s clear that’s not gonna Happen. After that you need to look at what is  Going to be possible, and sadly this looks to be as good as it’s going to get in this weird not a sport but it’s athletic world wrestling sits in. Sport doesn’t want it, entertainment doesn’t fully want it. 

5 minutes ago, Keith Houchen said:

It not a wish for an outsider to come in and clean house, it’s a wish for abusers to be held accountable for their crimes and not be protected by their mates. 

the police and law system are there for crimes. What above that do you see as the solution if it’s not that some outsider comes in to administer wrestling? 

Edited by Louch

1 minute ago, Louch said:

the police and law system are there for crimes. What above that do you see as the solution if it’s not that some outsider comes in to administer wrestling? 

Part of a societal change where people stop funding awful people protecting awful people. Crimes are being committed and covered up, and seen as acceptable, paying your dues etc. I want to see criminals being held account and people not supporting them by paying to see them. The law is the administrator of wrestling behaviour and the fact it’s framed as an “Outsider” shows how deep rooted the issue is. 

6 minutes ago, Keith Houchen said:

The solution is prosecuting abusers. 

I don’t think anyone has disputed that. The chats mainly around what future preventative measures should be in place to allow training and shows to run safely going forward 

3 minutes ago, Louch said:

I don’t think anyone has disputed that. The chats mainly around what future preventative measures should be in place to allow training and shows to run safely going forward 

I’d say prosecutions would lead to people questioning their own behaviour regarding what is acceptable. If a respected peer or leader was prosecuted for their behaviour, it would do more than an “Outsider” would be able to do in an afternoon workshop about boundaries.