Wrestling #MeToo #SpeakingOut

Keith Houchen

1 hour ago, Snitsky's back acne said:

Minor thing in the grand scheme of things but I wonder if this will negate certain venues being run in future?
I mean, as a long time attendee of British wrestling shows, I doubt some venues have even one secure dressing room space let alone a separate one.

Nah, they just won't book women. 

1 hour ago, Snitsky's back acne said:

Minor thing in the grand scheme of things but I wonder if this will negate certain venues being run in future?
I mean, as a long time attendee of British wrestling shows, I doubt some venues have even one secure dressing room space let alone a separate one.

And if a promoter hasn't factored that in, they haven't done their due diligence and haven't catered for the comfort and privacy of the talent they're making money off. There'll be no more mates-of-mates tinpots shacking up in beer gardens. Yes, it's basically optional, but it's about talent knowing their worth, and refusing to accept conditions that wouldn't be permitted in other professions.

It’s an interesting one. On first reading, I agree, it seems like a woolly ‘we’d quite like you to’ but with the industry force that will likely accompany this, and the ease any company or wrestler who objects will likely be shunned will probably lead to a lot of ‘buy-in’, willingly or otherwise.

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, IANdrewDiceClay said:

Hope this means loads of the shit ones disappear for good.

I wouldn't bet on it. People who's ego outstrips their talent will still want a booking, cunts will still want to pretend to be Paul Hayman and they'll keep each other company bumblefucking about. 

44 minutes ago, CavemanLynn said:

There'll be no more mates-of-mates tinpots shacking up in beer gardens. 

Of course there will.

You're always going to get Dave and his mates putting on a show in a bar and people going to see it because that's just how things are.
It's the same with acting - you have those with Equity and those who aren't. You get performers who will work for the 'experience' and the 'opportunity' in less than desirable conditions because it's their dream and they think they are 'paying their dues'..
Acting is a regulated industry but there are still those being exploited because, sadly, there are a lot of things that happen off the radar and there will always be people willing to work cheaper than others/for free and those willing to allow it. It shouldn't be that way, but it is.

This is a good move for wrestling but to think it will completely rid the industry of bootleg companies and shoddy practices is naive. 

Few years ago I went on a few dates with a opera singer who was performing in Glasgow at the time. She told me of auditions where she would be asked to use a pack of cards to act out having an orgasm. Said that kinda thing was common. Equity ain’t gonna make everything clean up unless those involved are given proper backing and industry wide people don’t accept it as allowable behaviour. Needs both for it to be true change 

The Equity pledges are obviously welcome, but they don't go far enough to resolve everything and I also suspect its self-policing, which kind of defeats the object because carnies cannot be trusted on their word, so again it'll be up to the talent to risk their careers by speaking truth to power in order to uphold minimum standards.

Edited by AVM

• Paid Members
On 8/3/2020 at 8:43 PM, westlondonmist said:

How many indies are actually going to pay for a paramedic? So many shows are run on shoestring budgets, do you actually expect them to follow through on this? 

Most already do, in my experience. There's been a definite shift in that direction in the past few years.

• Paid Members
11 hours ago, BomberPat said:

Most already do, in my experience. There's been a definite shift in that direction in the past few years.

Was there one on hand when Silver King dropped and the ref tried to roll him over and finish the match as he was having a heart attack?

That wasn't what people call a "tin pot" company in comparison to others in the UK, so I'd assume so based on what you say but was having one there well managed and coordinated to actually add value? 

The official response from the coroner was there was a "whole raft of failures", but did anything really change after that, after people had seen it happen on a show? 

Edited by Tommy!

• Paid Members
5 minutes ago, Tommy! said:

Was there one on hand when Silver King dropped and the ref tried to roll him over and finish the match as he was having a heart attack?

There was, but the entire situation was a mess. The medic in that instance was one required by the building, not the promoter - a lot of venues will either insist on it themselves, or there will be council/legislative reasons why a show with above a certain number of people in the audience requires medical support on-site. So in that case, amid many other fuck-ups, my understanding is that the medic thought they were there solely for the audience, and the promoter thought they were there for the talent. Combined with the lack of decent ambulance access to the Roundhouse, and the lack of communication around exactly what the issue was - the first aider/medic on-site didn't bring a defibrillator to the ring with her because she wasn't informed it was a cardiac issue - and it was basically a clusterfuck of everything that could have gone wrong going wrong. So, of course, none of this is a quick fix.

But I've worked afternoon shows with fewer than 20 people in the audience that have managed to get a medic. There are several I know of who specifically take bookings to work wrestling shows, and aside from that, agencies you can book event medics/first aid support from, for a couple of hundred quid tops.

One of the few positives of NXT UK was that one of the requirements for booking their talent on other shows is that you have to have a medic. A lot of companies were already moving in that direction anyway, but the WWE requirement really saw it become standard practice, as far as I've seen. Because not only does it mean losing access to a chunk of your available talent if you don't have one, it means even the non-contracted talent come to see it as a requirement, and are more likely to refuse a booking if you can't provide one.

Again, it's not a fail-safe, and it doesn't stop the fly-by-night shithouses running shows staffed solely by talent too inexperienced/shit to know that they're getting fleeced, but it's a start. Nothing Equity are suggesting here is expected to be the sole solution to any of this, it's the first step.

I've already seen several promotions privately complain about how running paramedics will diminish their margins to levels that would be virtually unmanageable to which I say, tough tits. People that choose to capitalise off of people risking their health to entertain should at the bare minimum be prepared to pay for an on-site paramedic.

• Paid Members
8 minutes ago, AVM said:

I've already seen several promotions privately complain about how running paramedics will diminish their margins to levels that would be virtually unmanageable to which I say, tough tits. People that choose to capitalise off of people risking their health to entertain should at the bare minimum be prepared to pay for an on-site paramedic.

Completely. And I don't really believe it anyway. 

Depending on the length of your show, you can probably get a paramedic for around £75 per hour. Round up, let's say £250 for your standard three hour show. 

Can't afford £250 for a three-hour show? Your show probably doesn't need to be three hours long then, do it for two. Still can't afford it? Change that tag match into a singles. It's not a bank-breaking amount of money, and not hard money to find when you're planning a show. 

If you can afford custom title belts, or a fancy logo for your ring apron/canvas, or a film crew, or anything else that these promoters likely wouldn't turn their noses up at, you can afford a medic. 

Edited by BomberPat