Wrestling #MeToo #SpeakingOut

Keith Houchen

• 2 weeks later...
  • Paid Members

I can't decide whether that was a character he plays. His stuff on his Youtube channel is good. Lots of stuff about fighting games and beat em ups. 

1 hour ago, jazzygeofferz said:

I can't decide whether that was a character he plays. His stuff on his Youtube channel is good. Lots of stuff about fighting games and beat em ups. 

Nah, saw a few people confirm he's pretty damn conservative and his partner has been on countless similar rants.

I gave up on his channel when it was just cheap shots at CEX every week for a while.

I'm taking the thread a little too off topic here, sorry.

Edited by Merzbow

With events expected to return in some format within the next few months in England and later on this year in Scotland I am concerned that a good number of accused talents are found resurfacing on events around the country. 

My main concern is that the internet forum and social media fans of wrestling won't hold enough influence or clout with voting on where they spend their ticket money from. Largely the parents who see wrestling advertised on a poster inside the local kebab shop window and take the kids aren't going to know anything about the social media movement of speaking out or follow the promotion or talents themselves to know the backstory and the ins and outs.

• Paid Members

That's absolutely right, and it's that kind of promotion that will keep booking these people - and, more importantly, not make any efforts to change the culture that allowed those people to get away with it - largely because they're generally beyond the radar of "indie wrestling". It needs to fall to wrestlers to boycott those promoters, but that involves wrestlers having to turn down bookings, and even if that happens, the shittier promoters will just use shittier wrestlers to fill in the blanks.

There's also a danger that even well-meaning promoters and fans will just think that the expectation is "don't book anyone named in Speaking Out", which should be the absolute bare minimum. What we really need to focus on is transparency and trust - how we're going to work to prevent that sort of thing ever happening again, and how to convince fans that we're actually doing what we say we are