Wrestling #MeToo #SpeakingOut

Keith Houchen

21 hours ago, TimmyB said:

Does anyone know of anyone accused having any charges pressed against them?

This is probably gonna be the justification for people being back on shows. Plus not all acts where illegal, there’s immorality in the mix as well. And so far I have seen no recommendations of what levels of punishments should be for the range of offences. Depending on how people perceive some of the lesser, whilst still damaging, offences against the higher end of sustained abuse etc will vary, so what one person would never wanna see a performer on a show again will not be the same as the next person.

I don’t feel just everyone named can be blanket banned forever as there have been some accusations that have turned out to be not the whole story, so that also turns into he said/she said to who people chose to side with. It is highly likely to fall apart then people will sadly be forced to chose between walking away from supporting wrestling, or having to make peace. Personally I don’t see myself going to much when things return

16 minutes ago, Louch said:

Personally I don’t see myself going to much when things return

I'm in a similar boat. I can see myself attending Discovery Wrestling as I believe Alan the promoter to be as open and as transparent as possible. 

I may attend FCW in Perth but apart from that I am not really sure when and if I will return.

2 hours ago, Hoptimus said:

With events expected to return in some format within the next few months in England and later on this year in Scotland I am concerned that a good number of accused talents are found resurfacing on events around the country. 

My main concern is that the internet forum and social media fans of wrestling won't hold enough influence or clout with voting on where they spend their ticket money from. Largely the parents who see wrestling advertised on a poster inside the local kebab shop window and take the kids aren't going to know anything about the social media movement of speaking out or follow the promotion or talents themselves to know the backstory and the ins and outs.

Whilst I by no means justify shitty behaviour, accusations are just that. So we black ball people without any evidence? I say this as someone who was sexually harassed BTW. 

36 minutes ago, Hoptimus said:

I'm in a similar boat. I can see myself attending Discovery Wrestling as I believe Alan the promoter to be as open and as transparent as possible. 

I may attend FCW in Perth but apart from that I am not really sure when and if I will return.

Of the shows I normally attend , Discovery & Target in Carlisle are the only two places I have not seen incidents called out on, and both acted immediately to say two names people wouldn’t be on shows. Target has the same night out post show atmosphere as a lotta the troubled companies, but has never had that exploitive feel, it’s just been people out to have a laugh after a show. 

3 hours ago, Hoptimus said:

With events expected to return in some format within the next few months in England and later on this year in Scotland I am concerned that a good number of accused talents are found resurfacing on events around the country. 

My main concern is that the internet forum and social media fans of wrestling won't hold enough influence or clout with voting on where they spend their ticket money from. Largely the parents who see wrestling advertised on a poster inside the local kebab shop window and take the kids aren't going to know anything about the social media movement of speaking out or follow the promotion or talents themselves to know the backstory and the ins and outs.

Absolutely. I'm not saying they would book them, but promotions like Megaslam and Main Event Megastars run to a largely holiday camp/family audience who will not know, nor give even the slightest shit, about any of the allegations. Plus, they don't have a massive internet presence so are fairly off the radar in many regards.
It's the wrestling business at the end of the day. It's a business that allowed/allows murderers and paedophiles to still be a part of it. As much as we can kid ourselves and say 'It's changed' are we really going to be that surprised if guys accused of trying to force themselves on someone still manage to get work? 

#SpeakingOut wasn't the solution; it was the start of the conversation. A social media blitz and parliamentary discussion are good steps forward, but of course that won't change any hangers-on to the old toxic cultures. Of course those guilty will get work from friends and connections, or set up their own 'schools' or promotions. The key is to make it less viable. If a promoter learns that booking a particular talent will mean they sell 10 fewer tickets, then booking that talent costs him ÂŁ100-150, and unfortunately, the key to forcing any change is to hit the business in the wallet. Yes, the holiday camps won't care and will book anyone, and the oblivious comps won't be any the wiser as a self-professed vet batters an unpaid kid with power moves in an opening match to 'smarten him up.' We need to keep the movement alive ourselves, by standing up for our principles, supporting those who make the change and leaving those who don't behind.

8 hours ago, Michael_3165 said:

Whilst I by no means justify shitty behaviour, accusations are just that. So we black ball people without any evidence? I say this as someone who was sexually harassed BTW. 

You’re right, accusations that the accusers made it up that they were assaulted are completely without evidence. Especially the ones where multiple people made the same accusations against the same person, detailing the same patterns of abuse, claims they all made up the same thing are without foundation. 

• Paid Members

A quick peruse through my Instagram feed today reveals that the artist formerly known as El Ligero is now apparently Simon Musk: personal trainer. Nothing awkward could possibly happen as a result of that career move... 

Edited by jazzygeofferz

36 minutes ago, Snitsky's back acne said:

Me neither but I was told there was apparently a reason he wore the mask.

Yeah he looks like a Bobby Heenan commentary punchline. 

Personal trainer. State of it. 

Edited by Chili

6 hours ago, Chili said:

Yeah he looks like a Bobby Heenan commentary punchline. 

Not to turn this into a Bobby Heenan punchline thread but you saying that reminds me of how he would always joke about how out of it Kerry Von Erich was.
My favourite one is 'He's stuck for an answer when you say 'Hello'. 

Anyway... 

• Paid Members
21 hours ago, Tommy! said:

They used to call him Kid Georgeous, later on it was Kid Presentable, then Kid Gruesome and finally Kid Musk.

I have a feeling they just went straight to the Lucha gimmick. 

It's totally mental this how at the same time this is going on there is a massive worldwide scandal going on with sexual harassment and people being cunts within the hospitality industry/craft beer scene. 

If you search for an Instagram account called @ratmagnet she's the woman thats collated all the stories almost all by women. 

There's also been a high profile story involving the cheeky Punks from Brewdog this week.