Petty Annoyances

Tagging in from anywhere allows you a few extra seconds to get some shit in. That and holding the tag rope and waiting those extra seconds for your partner to tag you requires patience.

I haven't watched AEW in a while, but a lot of their tag matches felt like they really wanted to have a tornado tag and the tag match conventions were just getting in the way. 

I think a lot of that is basically lucha inspiring scramble matches inspiring tag team matches.

But then I know I'm increasingly uncool and old fashioned when it comes to tag wrestling. It's not an age thing, just  a taste thing I think.

• Paid Members

Scramble tag matches can be good.

Too often a tag match in AEW will degenerate into all 4 competitors brawling in the ring. I know there's that 10 count to allow for better continuity, but I can't remember the last time a ref ever reached 10 and had to get one of the partners out of the ring. 

Likewise all the stuff on the floor taking an eternity. For a company that has a big clock on the screen to emphasise how long is left until the next people are due to enter in a rumble, they certainly don't allow those same 10 seconds on the floor in their matches. Even JR will say something like "they've been out there a long time." and nobody will even dare to suggest that count outs are at the referee's discretion. Something Schiovane used to be sure to mention if things like that happened in WCW. 

Edited by jazzygeofferz

• Paid Members

Lita's arms when she's doing a stomp or a kick.

I watched Rumble 01 & 02 and there's a bit where her, matt & Jeff are kicking the undertaker and she's windmilling her arms around like a maniac and it was all I could see  and now I can't not focus on it when she's on.

Also in the 01 rumble there's a bit on the network where they just randomly replay tazz getting eliminated as an edit to cut out a bit of the show, I assume a cock up. That's ok in concept, I don't like it but I get it, but doing it so lazy and shit is irksome. Same with that HHH quad issue where randy runs in with a chair then panics and runs off again, there solution is to just zoom right in on HHH from the hardcam even though the resolution and quality is awful as a result and it's a really jarring hard cut to and from the wide shot.

On 1/26/2022 at 12:17 PM, BomberPat said:

I imagine it's one of those things that started as something more considered, and as it became a regular part of wrestling and basically just a trope, wrestlers - as they often do - just turned to doing the bare minimum version of the thing, rather than keeping it logical. 

Without long road trips and veterans willing to critique matches, wrestlers just do things without thinking about why they are doing them and when they should be doing them. The other day I saw a a match where a minute in someone did a body-slam, got a two-count and questioned the referee's count thinking it was really three. Now I won't pretend to be an experienced wrestler (or any kind of wrestler at all) so maybe I've got this wrong, but I always thought the whole point of that spot was at a point in the match where you've hit a potential finisher and you're attempting to say to the crowd "I can't believe he/she kicked out of that".

• Paid Members
14 hours ago, Tamura said:

Without long road trips and veterans willing to critique matches, wrestlers just do things without thinking about why they are doing them and when they should be doing them. The other day I saw a a match where a minute in someone did a body-slam, got a two-count and questioned the referee's count thinking it was really three. Now I won't pretend to be an experienced wrestler (or any kind of wrestler at all) so maybe I've got this wrong, but I always thought the whole point of that spot was at a point in the match where you've hit a potential finisher and you're attempting to say to the crowd "I can't believe he/she kicked out of that".

That sort of thing really depends on how experienced the wrestler is - I've worked with guys who do the "that was three!" bit on practically every cover in the match, because they think that's what a heel is supposed to do, or they think that by antagonising me they'll get heat on them. But it robs them of an opportunity to use that bit of schtick when it might actually mean something. The way I was taught, the referee is the law, and the heel is an outlaw - they shouldn't be doing anything to draw attention from the ref, and complaining constantly does exactly that.

That said, one of the guys who was most guilty of overdoing that bit turned it into a good bit of heel comeuppance, where he'd get in my face and say "NOW I'LL SHOW YOU HOW TO COUNT TO THREE", and do the Three Amigos spot, loudly counting with each suplex, only to always have it reversed on the third attempt. 

I don't want it to be a "young wrestlers today, rabble rabble" thing, because I know people who have been wrestling over 10 years that still do some right nonsense. There's just been that sense of "it makes sense in wrestling" rather than "what's the actual logic behind this", and that happens constantly, with anything that's repeated often enough. I could bang on about the psychology behind the International sequence and how few people get it right, but it's everything, really, up to the highest level - look at something like the rebound clothesline that Moxley used to do in WWE; first or second time, it's an organic movement, but the moment it becomes a signature spot and is done in every match, it becomes more nonsensical and less effort is put into making it plausible.

• Paid Members

Double post, but I've been dipping into Jeff Jarrett's podcast lately, and find him a really interesting guy to listen to talk about the nuts and bolts of wrestling and his career.

But fucking hell, Conrad Thompson is the absolute worst. The dullest charisma vacuum in the world, irritating voice, thinks people give a shit about him when he's only there to facilitate the actual star, and you can tell when he tries to force his opinions into the conversation that there's probably a real nasty streak there.

He used to do the Dark Side Of The Ring post-show discussion thing, and the amount of times he'd follow up a really bleak, depressing segment with a cheery, "what a story!" already made me wonder how the fuck he got the gig - at the end of the Von Erichs episode, he tells the audience that they should celebrate their lives by going and watching Kerry Von Erich matches on the WWE Network, as if the entire fucking message of that episode wasn't that some things are more important than wrestling.

On Jarrett's podcast, I listened to the episode about the birth of the USWA, and there's an extended bit where he's insisting that they should have just used the WCCW branding rather than USWA, because it already had credibility, even after Jarrett has explained that it was a damaged brand. He just will not let it go. Imagine thinking that you have a better insight into the business of running a wrestling promotion than Jeff Jarrett, particularly when the promotion in question was run by Jerry Jarrett

Same thing on the NWA Invasion of the WWF episode, he goes on this rant about how he assumes the WWE writing room works, which is basically just an excuse for him to bang on irrelevantly about Karrion Kross. At one point, the example he gives is something that Bruce Prichard said on a podcast about Paul Heyman. Fantastic, so the level of insight you're bringing to the table is exactly the same of any other prick that listens to Bruce Prichard, what a valuable contribution.

So he was having a go at how the WWE Writer’s Room works by using something that Bruce Prichard said. The same Bruce Prichard who’s in said Writer’s Room today?

Conrad wasn’t always like how he is now. Back when Ric Flair had his PodcastOne show, Conrad was there to basically keep everything on track, which he did pretty well considering he was working with Flair.

Then he got the Prichard deal, which again started off OK in the early days, but slowly but surely Conrad developed a bit of an ego as being “the podcast guy” and thought that he knew everything because he’d subscribed to The Observer for however many years. Proper “well Meltzer said it so it must be  true” stuff, which has certainly played into the mocking of him in recent years.

He’s clearly worked very hard with his Financial Business(es) to be able to fund his platform and everything else, but his opinion on anything to do with the inner workings of the wrestling business is as valuable as yours or mine, perhaps even less than yours as you were (still are?) actually involved in the business at some point

Edited by WyattSheepMask

• Paid Members

@BomberPatThe silver lining to Conrad is that through his podcasts, has the world learned to ignore Prichard, as time and time again listening to podcasts about the same shows, talents and time periods, Conrad will put things to Bruce about comings and goings, negotiations, changed plans and abandoned pushes or ideas, as reported at the time by Meltzer or Keller, for Prichard to flat out deny as “rumour and innuendo” or bullshit made up by basement dwellers….. only for Jim Ross to confirm the opposite, that such events did happen or were planned, often in great detail, often which he was directly involved in.

• Paid Members

I listened to Arn's podcast for a while, but there are only so many times you can listen to them talking about dick pills and selling your house to release the equity and pay off your debts before it starts getting really tedious. 

Edited by jazzygeofferz

• Paid Members
2 minutes ago, jazzygeofferz said:

I listened to Arn's pod ast for a while, but there are only so many times you can listen to them talking about dick pills and selling your house to release the equity and pay off your debts before it starts getting really tedious. 

yeah, Jarrett's is the only podcast I listen to with adverts at the moment, and even then, I wasn't expected solid 3-5 minutes of advertising, and all Conrad reading them, so it's not like you can skip through and easily know when you're out of the ads. It's a nightmare.

There's one where he says, "do you own or rent your home?" - as opposed to what, exactly?

• Paid Members
35 minutes ago, BomberPat said:

There's one where he says, "do you own or rent your home?" - as opposed to what, exactly?

In slight mitigation for Conrad, that's Geico's copy not his wording, as the exact same read pops up on several of the college football podcasts I listen to being read by various people.

It is fucking stupid, though.

• Paid Members
46 minutes ago, The King Of Swing said:

I'll have you know that I have the biggest bedroom in the house. 

27 minutes ago, Carbomb said:

And I'll have you know that it's both my parents' basement.

And I’ll have you know there’s nobody in our basement. Just a couple of bikes, some smokeless fuel, and an old bag of cement, gone hard.