Petty Annoyances

• Paid Members

It’s the American way, isn’t it? Nothing beats a good straw man. Four years of “But Hilary.” Hilary isn’t running the country, Karen-Lynn.

Wrestlers who think they are seven feet tall and weigh three hundred pounds. If ever there was a match crying out for the spot where one wrestler runs into another and simply bounces off like they've run into a brick wall, that was it. Instead we have the ridiculous spectacle of Kassius Ohno being bowled over by Adam Cole, despite being at least twice his size.

• Paid Members

Am I the only one who gets annoyed when during a match the person doing the pin on the other person just gets up on two before the other person can kick out because it's not the end of the match? It really takes me out of a match.I don't know whether it's bad timing or just some kind of "this isn't the finish, I'd best get up" mentality, but it can be really annoying. It should be on whoever's being pinned to kick out.

• Paid Members
50 minutes ago, jazzygeofferz said:

Am I the only one who gets annoyed when during a match the person doing the pin on the other person just gets up on two before the other person can kick out because it's not the end of the match? It really takes me out of a match.I don't know whether it's bad timing or just some kind of "this isn't the finish, I'd best get up" mentality, but it can be really annoying. It should be on whoever's being pinned to kick out.

I could never get my head why any contact from a tag partner is considered breaking up the pin if there’s still body on body and shoulders down. The guys still being pinned, so count!

• Paid Members

That is a big pet hate of mine and I love this finish, as a result:

OK, Smash is a little late coming in if viewed through the lens of "trying to break up the pin but can't" but I love that he's trying to drag the big old giant off Ax but just can't shift him, and as a result Hebner counts the pin.

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, air_raid said:

I could never get my head why any contact from a tag partner is considered breaking up the pin if there’s still body on body and shoulders down. The guys still being pinned, so count!

This is a rule that has never satisfactorily been explained to me, actually. It just seems accepted that any physical interference would break up the pin, which is fine if that rule's quantified somewhere, but I'm not sure that it is. I suppose if I had to explain it to someone, that's the language I'd use.

I imagine it's one of those things that started as something more considered, and as it became a regular part of wrestling and basically just a trope, wrestlers - as they often do - just turned to doing the bare minimum version of the thing, rather than keeping it logical. 

• Paid Members

Remember when WWE also introduced, but never made mention of, that rule where a partner was only allowed to interfere in a pin attempt twice, and the third instance was a disqualification? 

Why do half the tag matches never use the tag ropes now? Used to add something to the matches when the partner would be stretching over but couldn't reach as the rope wouldn't stretch far enough. Nowadays it just seems like 'I'll reach over and tag myself in from wherever I happen to be' which takes a fair bit of the logic of being in a corner away.

• Paid Members

I guess it's narrative convenience, as with most of the rules. 

AEW must be glad Mickey Jay isn't a referee for them, as I remember how fast he used to count whenever wrestlers were outside the ring. Imagine him instead of Aubrey in the ring for that Punk/Wardlow match? Would have ended in a double count out. 

• Paid Members

One of mine is not wrestling so much as wrestling journalism, the way they will use the term “former WWE Champion” in their clickbait headlines as a catch all term for anyone that held any belt. They caught me out today, and the “former WWE Champion” was Eugene.