Petty Annoyances

• Paid Members

My Rumble annoyance is when people spend ages outside the ring, the worst of which is when they choose not to go in like Sonya Deville going on commentary this year.

Not in the ring before the next buzzer goes = eliminated.

Actually, any period of more than 60 seconds outside the ring by choice = eliminated.

Do a Road Dogg & hug the bottom rope in the fetal position all you like. But don't hang about outside the ring and expect to still be considered a competitor.

• Paid Members
35 minutes ago, Statto said:

Not in the ring before the next buzzer goes = eliminated.

Another great inconsistency. I have a faint memory of 1991, Monsoon telling me that you had to be in the ring by the buzzer for the next entrant else you forfeit - in the case of the number 18 draw not showing up, which was Randy Savage. Again, it should be a rule, else you’re getting an advantage over people that HAVE got in the ring, and it’s bullshit that the refs don’t do anything about it.

• Paid Members

The Rumble rules have changed a few times over the years - at one point you couldn't be eliminated by someone not in the match, nor could you eliminate anyone else.

The problem with doing away with the rule that you have to enter before the next entrant is that, if someone was taken out at number 3 before they got to the ring, if they're not de facto eliminated by not making it to the ring, how is the match over when the last person is eliminated? Now, admittedly, I wouldn't complain if they made a story of that - have someone go after the Rumble winner because they were never eliminated - but for the most part it's just lazy booking. 

The thing is, wrestling angles are better with clearly defined rules. Fucking about with the rules and only enforcing them when it suits your story is far worse than establishing those rules clearly and having them inform everything that happens. Someone not in the match interfering and throwing someone over the top rope shouldn't just result in "oh well, they're eliminated", it should result in chaos and confusion - commentators arguing over whether it counts or not, referees getting involved, the works. 

• Paid Members
55 minutes ago, BomberPat said:

Someone not in the match interfering and throwing someone over the top rope shouldn't just result in "oh well, they're eliminated", it should result in chaos and confusion - commentators arguing over whether it counts or not, referees getting involved, the works. 

Not to get back on my soapbox about everything being better in the past, but Schiavone and Ventura calling the incident of Bad News eliminating Roddy Piper in 1990 was perfect for this. Tony’s like “Now, I don’t think Bad News would be allowed to eliminate Piper, would he??” Plus locker room empties of refs and agents.

• Paid Members
9 hours ago, bbabba said:

I've noticed this happening more and more in the past few years and it really gets on my nerves.  Don't know if the reason is something to do with safety, or just laziness on the part of the performer coming off the top (not being arsed to even try and hit where the target should be).

I can understand it if they've seen the opponent has moved and they're trying to put distance between the two of them for safety and land safely, but they still do the splash etc and miss it. 

Inconsistent rules are annoying as well. Getting a bit loosey goosey with a count out isn't necessarily an issue if they explain it away with something on commentary like Schiovane did on Dynamite last week, but when we've got JR chiming up with "they've been out there for a while" it's a whole different matter. 

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, BomberPat said:

The Rumble rules have changed a few times over the years - at one point you couldn't be eliminated by someone not in the match, nor could you eliminate anyone else.

Yeah, always been something they have played with/made up on the fly to suit their needs at the time.

"With BOTH FEET hitting the floor" wasn't a thing (or at least a major point of emphasis) until they wanted Shawn to hold on with one foot on the floor.

"You can't eliminate yourself, you have to be propelled by someone else" was made up on the spot to explain Savage's brain fart in 92, despite the fact that Boss Man had effectively chucked himself out about 10 minutes earlier. Never been a rule since then, with people not just being eliminated regularly by missing opponents and falling over the top, but the likes of Drew Carey voluntarily climbing out.

44 minutes ago, Factotum said:

Wasn't the 'someone outside helping eliminate someone' just a way for Hogan to do it to Sid in 92 and not make him look weak by being eliminated? That end always annoys me to that Rumble. Just have Hogan distract him not pull his arm.

If you want to get technical, it’s still Flair that eliminates Sid, Hogan didn’t pull him out on his own. I was never massive on Hogan to begin with, but how was he supposed to be a face after doing that. He got thrown out fair & square and throws a strope, fuck Hulk Hogan.

The rules of the Rumble differ depending on what the story they want to tell. Giant Gonzalez eliminated Undertaker in 93 despite not being in the whereas Vader threw a bunch of guys out after he was eliminated in 96 but everyone was allowed back in.

I do agree that a person should be in by the time the next person comes out though, otherwise everyone could just wait around outside. 
Maybe add a bit of drama by introducing a 10 count on the floor too if someone leaves the ring, they’ve got enough refs out there

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, WyattSheepMask said:

The rules of the Rumble differ depending on what the story they want to tell. Giant Gonzalez eliminated Undertaker in 93 despite not being in the whereas Vader threw a bunch of guys out after he was eliminated in 96 but everyone was allowed back in.

Including Shawn. I always forget that. So there’s TWO reasons he shouldn’t have been allowed to become WWF Champion, on top of the more glaringly obvious reason that he couldn’t beat Bret Hart inside the 60 minutes of a 60 minute match.

I agree with what everyone has said here. You should only be able to be eliminated by people “IN” the rumble. However like with Jake scaring Andre out or Hogan pulling Sid, you can have debate over should it stand or not (technically did Andre eliminate himself and Flair eliminate Sid). That way when it stands it leads to controversy and and further storylines. Otherwise if you are in a stable why not all come to the ring and eliminate everyone. Needs to be some sort of rules 

• Paid Members
11 minutes ago, WyattSheepMask said:

Has anyone consulted that WWE Rule Book they sold on the shop a few years back? that should clear things up surely, they wouldn’t put something like that and not stick to it

SURELY!

1 hour ago, Big'Olympic_Hero'Pete said:

'Security details' that look more like the local Boy Scouts on a field trip. At least make 'security' look like they could legitimately break up a fight rather than offering to shine your shoes for a quid!

But doesn’t getting broken up by the local branch of ShowSec make your wrestlers* look weak? That’s probably why we’ve had so many ‘full roster brawls’ the last years

* Granted, most refs are larger than the wrestlers these days, but perception

• Paid Members

“Security” always makes me think of the late Jim Dotson, a man who cut such an imposing figure and was so visible on WWF TV, the WWF Magazine did a story on him telling us a little about him.

One of the many things in 98-99 that reminded us that the WWF was still “the show” and that WCW were redneck amateurs with money to play with, was that Vince employed a guy like Dotson, and WCWs “chief of security” was the feared Doug Dellinger, who looked like your mates dad who coached the Cubs football team.

Edited by air_raid