Petty Annoyances

• Paid Members
35 minutes ago, HarmonicGenerator said:

I suppose if you know you've got until 10, you may as well take as much time as you can to rest and recover - it's the only time in the match when you know your opponent's not going to try and get you. Wrestling's equivalent of the snooze button making you get out of bad at the last possible moment

But previously in these types of matches people used to be up much earlier in the early stages of the match. I can understand the kayfabe reason for doing so, in which case stay in a crouched or seated position and make it obvious that that's what you're doing, or for some real heat do a cheeky kip up, rather than laying around selling like death until the ref reaches 8 and you're suddenly able to get to your feet in seconds. If Archer had been up on, say, a count of 3, or 4 rather than being down there until 9 a whole two minutes into the match it would have made him look like the monster badass they're supposed to be making him out to be, but instead we're supposed to think the first ref count of the match is the final one? It turns into a case if "oh, that was the finish" when the 10 count finally happens, as opposed to them being up earlier in the beginning stages of a match, and when they are staying down for a 9 as the match draws on, and it feeling like we're getting closer to the end of the match. The only way of raising the stakes otherwise is that people are just taking stupider and stupider bumps, rather than it feeling like the duration and physicality of the match may be taking its toll as we have near counts from moves that wouldn't normally have that effect. 

• Paid Members

There should have been hordes of refs and security trying to get them to the ring for the match to be able to start properly after that brawl in the back, then they can do their wild brawling instead of starting off hot and having nowhere else to go. Do the wild brawl to establish the huge amount of heat these two competitors have built during their 3 week feud that's necessitated them having to have a Texas Death Match, (which was actually just last man standing), then when they get into the ring and the ref is ready to start the match they can immediately roll to the outside and grab plunder from under the ring and start wailing on each other again. I know I probably sound like Cornette, but if every match starts like it's the closing 2 minutes and then just ends after an indeterminate time it can sometimes be a bit boring and anticlimactic, especially if they've been kicking out of top rope finishers and goodness know what other myriad high spots and weapon stuff. I prefer a slower start to build to a big finish. It's not even like you can't build the intensity to a fake finish and bring the crowd back down again for a while, because that's been done in the past too. I know wrestling has changed, but it's not always a good thing. 

Edited by jazzygeofferz

• Paid Members
6 hours ago, HarmonicGenerator said:

I suppose if you know you've got until 10, you may as well take as much time as you can to rest and recover - it's the only time in the match when you know your opponent's not going to try and get you. Wrestling's equivalent of the snooze button making you get out of bad at the last possible moment

Yeh, this is something they do in boxing as well, after a knockdown - wait until the 9 count so you can recover a bit.

• Paid Members

Again they wouldn't lay around on the floor and dive back to their feet on 9 though, as that would expend too much energy. They'll take a knee or just not quite be properly back up to make the most of it. 

• Paid Members

Last Man Standing matches are awful. Not to parrot Jim Ross too much but it’s so boring waiting for the count compared to a standard near fall. Plus there’s far too much of people lying motionless in a manner totally exaggerated from how they’d sell the same moves in a normal match. Shite.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Paid Members
7 hours ago, WyattSheepMask said:

The fucking Square Sign Guy

eZQv00x.jpg

It's very considerate, allowing for people behind to still be able to see. 

All those people with their videogame signs trying to get onto the next episode of Botchamania, though. In fact crowds trying to get themselves over in general.

• 1 month later...

I'm watching SummerSlam '88 for the first time, having bought the DVD years ago, and the opening match features the British Bulldogs.

They're both wearing white tights under blue trunks bearing the Union Jack, but while Davey Boy's wearing the flag on his arse like a gentleman, his partner Dynamite's got it emblazoned across his groin and the disparity's driving me nuts.

Rooting for the Rougeaus now.

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, Uncle Zeb said:

They're both wearing white tights under blue trunks bearing the Union Jack, but while Davey Boy's wearing the flag on his arse like a gentleman, his partner Dynamite's got it emblazoned across his groin and the disparity's driving me nuts.

Ever seen that Coliseum match with the Harts vs the Twin Towers where Anvils wearing pink and black but Brets wearing black and pink? That’s far worse.

• 3 months later...