Petty Annoyances

• Paid Members
2 minutes ago, scratchdj said:

I really dislike the Stunner when the leading kick is so tame. I know it’s part of the act, but it can look really weak at times and as the years went on, it became nothing more than a token.

The move did become more of a comical spot as years went on. When you think back to how it was sold back in 1996 as a jarring or whiplash type move (harking back to Bret's great sell at the 1996 Survivor Series), to just Austin pulling out a string of stunners to everyone in sight.

• Paid Members
12 minutes ago, scratchdj said:

I really dislike the Stunner when the leading kick is so tame. I know it’s part of the act, but it can look really weak at times and as the years went on, it became nothing more than a token.

There are several where the kick comes nowhere near the gut of the receiver. I think it’s because Austin’s muscle memory was just trained into the motion of kick-Stunner in one continuous unbroken motion. There was a notable increase in this execution post-Mania 14 where Stone Cold nailed HBK smooth as silk, Fin Martin in PS calling it (paraphrasing) “the best execution ever of the most over finisher in wrestling.” From then on, he tried to do it like that nearly every time. Go watch the ones he gave at No Way Out in comparison to almost any he did after Mania 14, clear division between the kick merely being the preferred setup, and effectively being part of the move like it was for Special Grapple Front or R1 in the games.

After a binge watch of 90s AJPW during lockdown, I tried 1990s AAA and I gave up after a day mainly because babyfaces submitting really annoyed me. Why should I cheer you on when you quit as soon as a submission is applied. I don't care if its the first fall of a 2/3 falls match and it might be because you are saving yourself for the second fall. I think its really stupid. 

• 5 months later...

The sheer lack of any original ideas- Watched Day 1 this afternoon (I know, I don’t know why I bothered either) and Edge’s whole Brood schtick in the build to his match with Miz. They did the exact same stuff in the build for Edge’s matches with Rollins just 4 months ago. 
Obviously ideas have been reused and tinkered with many times over the years (Cornette likes to talk about the “7 year cycle”), but it just shows how lazy things have gotten that they’ve essentially booked the same feud just a few months apart

5 hours ago, WyattSheepMask said:

The sheer lack of any original ideas- Watched Day 1 this afternoon (I know, I don’t know why I bothered either) and Edge’s whole Brood schtick in the build to his match with Miz. They did the exact same stuff in the build for Edge’s matches with Rollins just 4 months ago. 
Obviously ideas have been reused and tinkered with many times over the years (Cornette likes to talk about the “7 year cycle”), but it just shows how lazy things have gotten that they’ve essentially booked the same feud just a few months apart

Continuing with Edge. His last two feuds have consisted of him calling his opponents (Rollins and Miz) “Edge Lite” because they both used Money In The Bank.

Neither Miz or Rollins pointed out that they won their WrestleMania main events. While Edge is the only two-time Royal Rumble winner to have lost both of his WrestleMania title challenges, because y’know. Logic and booking makes no sense at the best of times, let alone when an old dude held together by tape is having a nostalgia run.

I’m sure Edge did the “Edge Lite” schtick to someone else during his run before he initially had to retire. Might have even been Miz again.

Basically. Edge has had some shite booking since his return.

• Paid Members
11 hours ago, WyattSheepMask said:

I’m going to use this is a tenuous reason to tell a New Generation era story. The other day on YouTube autopilot I stumbled upon a Superstars from 1994 which featured the tail end of a two-part story which gave me deja vu.

On the 2nd April 1994 Superstars, Double J wrestled Sparky Plugg. Jarrett initially won but Sparkys foot was underneath the ropes so after an argument between refs the match restarts. Sparky wins with a clothesline off the top but Jarretts foot is on the rope which the ref doesn’t catch. There’s lots of arguing backstage and a rematch is declared for the week after. One week later, Jarrett pins Sparky with his feet on the ropes but it stands.

Why did this give me deja vu? Because I watched this in 1995, on Action Zone, over the Intercontinental title.

On the 30th April 1995 Action Zone, Double J wrestled Bob Holly for the Intercontinental title. Jarrett initially won with his feet on the ropes but after an argument between refs the match restarts. Holly wins with a clothesline off the top but Jarretts foot is on the rope which the ref doesn’t catch. There’s lots of arguing backstage and a rematch is declared for the week after with the title held up. One week later, Jarrett pins Holly with a schoolboy to reclaim the belt.

With only minor differences to the matches, it really surprised me that they ran the same story twice involving the same wrestlers on the syndicated shows. Other than Bob having his name changed and Jarrett having the title and The Roadie, it’s the same deal. I found this remarkable for some reason.

Taz. In general. Used to like him but since he got to AEW I HATE his promos, I hate the way he gets involved in everything, gets in everyones face etc. He just isnt interesting, has no draw value, no name value anymore, and just keeps getting more and more annoying with every appearance. Sometimes i feel it's an irrational hatred of the man but no, he just IS shit. 

9 minutes ago, Untouchable said:

Taz. In general. Used to like him but since he got to AEW I HATE his promos, I hate the way he gets involved in everything, gets in everyones face etc. He just isnt interesting, has no draw value, no name value anymore, and just keeps getting more and more annoying with every appearance. Sometimes i feel it's an irrational hatred of the man but no, he just IS shit. 

He's easily one of the best commentators they've got.

In reply to @air_raid,  I remember one of those angles (I was just starting to discover women and lose interest in wrestling in 94, don’t recall them both) Didn’t they also run a similar angle with two other wrestlers around the same time. The IC title being held up on Action Zone one week, and settled the next. I want to say involving Goldust? 

It was Goldust vs Savio Vega, right after WM12 in 1996.

They had a match which Savio won. But then Gorilla Monsoon changed it to a no-contest and vacated the I-C Title.

They had a rematch a week later which Goldust won and became champion again.

It all happened on Raw, but I suspect you thought Action Zone because it was the era where they recorded everything in the same similar-looking buildings.

• Paid Members
2 hours ago, dopper said:

It all happened on Raw, but I suspect you thought Action Zone because it was the era where they recorded everything in the same similar-looking buildings.

Both the two Action Zone Jarrett/Holly matches in 95 and Raw Goldust/Savio matches in 96 were taped on the same nights.

Action Zone was the balls before we had Raw.