Covid-19 Megathread

Loki

2 minutes ago, quote the raven said:

I dont want to say i have alot of friends there, I also cant prove anything as i wasn't on site. But when i was i saw every single person remove the masks to drink or eat. Never once did anyone ever go outside 

5 years gone like that

You've absolutely done the best thing in getting out.

Edit - actually maybe consider Keith's advice.

Edited by stewdogg
Edit

4 minutes ago, quote the raven said:

Yeah i did. probably not the right time to do it but its done

That’s fair enough. Sounds like the disgusting way they’re acting you’ve done the right thing. Hope you have a new job very soon. 

1 hour ago, Ralphy said:

I went out for a walk today, and i was tense at first, but to be honest, it does not seem much different out really. I think i am getting more looks than normal, however.

I know it is hard mate but you need to not get so torn up about going for a walk, all these people that you think are giving you looks are presumably all out walking themselves no? Unless you are wearing your hotpants that is.  

5 minutes ago, Ralphy said:

I stopped wearing them after the cow showed its disapproval of them by spearing me into high heaven! 

I am pleased that i can seemingly still go

The amount of people out kinda threw me really, but i cant complain, as i am out too 

also, my parents went shopping today, and it was fine according to them 

The only thing people can really do is go on a walk, so you are bound to see lots of people about, just like back in last Spring. If you are worried, at this time of year try going for a walk first thing or in the evening when it is dark still. 

In more ‘school news’, my wife, who is early years lead at her school is having to teach her set of key worker kids in the classroom while at the same time live streaming various activities and chunks of the day to the rest of the class watching at home. 

Sounds a recipe for disaster and not much use for anyone really, I presumed those at home would be getting something a bit more bespoke! And quite how they expect 14 classrooms to live stream at the same time with no technical hitches I’ve no idea. 

40% of their pupils are expected to be in school as key worker children, which seems to negate a lot of the reason for shutting if those sorts of ratios are across the country. 

• Paid Members
6 minutes ago, Sergio Bellend said:

40% of their pupils are expected to be in school as key worker children, which seems to negate a lot of the reason for shutting if those sorts of ratios are across the country. 

If it helps, that sounds like that's more than the average. I know at least three teacher friends who are teaching only a handful of kids in person (albeit with a similar flawed additional set up across Zoom to what you've described there).

• Paid Members

My place has at least said that any teachers who are supervising kids in school don't have to also do live lessons - we're going to be setting our tasks/worksheets for the kids to get on with.

It's certainly a crash course in planning and adapting. 

Managed to book a Covid vaccine. 14th January at the Louisa Jordan. Get this as I work with kids who have ASN.

To anyone in Scotland here who are eligible to book please be aware that the site is incredibly frustrating. It has drop down options for sites, dates and times which then turn out to be booked. I can't understand why they are given as an option as not everyone is IT literate.

I hope folk think I am being petty as once again I am incredibly gratefull for the NHS. That said this frustration could lead to folk not completing the booking which defeats the purpose.

• Paid Members
33 minutes ago, mim731 said:

If it helps, that sounds like that's more than the average. I know at least three teacher friends who are teaching only a handful of kids in person (albeit with a similar flawed additional set up across Zoom to what you've described there).

The biggest issue we had with schools and safety is my daughter is in a class with 30 kids. That’s her bubble. Except for maths, English and science where they have different classes based on skill set, so suddenly her bubble of 30 could, potentially, be 120 kids and 4 teachers. So if 40% of kids go in, that’s not good but the chances are less mixing.

My son’s SEN school confirmed he can go in 4 days, but will be in a different class because of the amount of kids and teachers available. They had lots of outbreaks of staff pre Christmas so, oddly I know feel safer for him then I did before.

12 minutes ago, Nexus said:

My place has at least said that any teachers who are supervising kids in school don't have to also do live lessons - we're going to be setting our tasks/worksheets for the kids to get on with.

It's certainly a crash course in planning and adapting. 

Do you use Seesaw? The teachers for my two set the work the night before and it's there for them in the morning. 

Got to say, pretty impressed with the system the first time round. 

• Paid Members
16 minutes ago, SuperBacon said:

Do you use Seesaw? The teachers for my two set the work the night before and it's there for them in the morning. 

Got to say, pretty impressed with the system the first time round. 

No we use Google Classroom, but can do the same thing. I tend to set my whole day's lessons first thing in the morning so as the kids can have a look at any sheets before the lesson. 

I'll probably record the PPT/voiceover for any days I'm in school because it's going to be easier than answering a billion questions through comments.