Rey_Piste

• Paid Members
7 minutes ago, mim731 said:

Regular kit-kats though, right? Not a chunky, because that feels like the work of of a madman. 

I have no idea if this is demented (I worry it is), but on the mini egg front, I sometimes like to pop one in my coffee while it's really hot. Then you have a nice chocolatey, melty surprise at the end. 

Sounds something along the lines of a penguin straw Mimsy. Cut one corner off the top of a Penguin biscuit wrapper and one of the diagonally opposite corner at the bottom. Use the Penguin as a straw to suck the coffee through to drink it and then unwrap and eat the remaining biscuits when it's nicely soaked in coffee. A real treat, if a messy one. 

• Paid Members
2 minutes ago, Lion_of_the_Midlands said:

Sounds something along the lines of a penguin straw Mimsy. Cut one corner off the top of a Penguin biscuit wrapper and one of the diagonally opposite corner at the bottom. Use the Penguin as a straw to suck the coffee through to drink it and then unwrap and eat the remaining biscuits when it's nicely soaked in coffee. A real treat, if a messy one. 

Will have to give that a whirl, sounds phenomenal. 

• Paid Members
29 minutes ago, Lion_of_the_Midlands said:

My Australian housemate many moons ago taught me the ways of doing this with Tim Tams. The whole wrapper was removed, but otherwise the same technique of biting off the diagonally opposite corners to make the biscuit into a straw for hot drinks and then eating the coffee-heated biscuit afterwards. The “Tim Tam slam” I was advised. 

Edited by JLM

51 minutes ago, JLM said:

Yeah agreed @Merzbow it typically makes shit chocolate better and good chocolate worse. 

The more oil and less coco in the chocolate, the better freezing works I imagine.

I do like a crispy mini egg so I’m going to try this!

I remember seeing on a cooking show that freezing Mini Eggs and then putting them in to a brownie batter and in to the oven makes the best Mini Eggs brownie because they stay in tact and kind of crispy.  I've never tried it, but I might this year given the large amount of Mini Eggs I now have.

The chocolate orange Mini Eggs are also great in case anyone was wondering.

Some more hot sauces that I tried recently, bought from Everything Chilli at a market stall, and Lupe Pintos in Glasgow. I wanted to give both a mention - the staff were tremendous, gave me tasters before buying, and in the case of Everything Chilli, a really nice discount. I've since bought things from her website, and they arrived quickly - I'd recommend. Anyway...

Torchbearer - Plum Reaper Hot Sauce 

PlumreaperSQUARE_1024x1024@2x.jpg?v=1693783426

With a Scoville rating of 500,000, I was expecting this to be brutal; but it really wasn't. I enjoyed the taste though, and it was nice both on sandwiches with meat and cheese, and as a dip. I thought that I might have an unusual tolerance to Carolina reapers, but when I made hot wings with it, that really unlocked the heat. Ouch.

Torchbearer - Zombie apocalypse

ZombieApocalypseSQUARE_d0c7d5e0-6c11-4b1f-91b0-409ea7ad98e0_1024x1024@2x.jpg?v=1667951063

Another sauce that when cold had no real effect on me. There was a burn, but it wasn't mild. My partner felt differently though, so maybe don't take this as gospel. It tasted really nice, though. However, when I used it for hot wings - holy fucking shit, it was hot. The burn lasted for at least half-an-hour, gradually building as I frantically downed yoghurt and milk. Never again. Still though, as a condiment it definitely hits the spot. 

Mr Vikki's - Harry's Brown Sauce

IMG_20220824_153615-1-scaled.jpg

Brown sauce with a hint of chilli. As soon as I saw the bottle, I knew it had the potential to be amazing - and fuck me, it is. The brown sauce base is delicious, and the slight punch from the chilli really lifts the whole thing. It's the best brown sauce I've ever had - this, with good quality sausages on a bun is just heavenly. 

Singularity Sauces - 7 Pot Pineapple Chilli

HetSass7PotPineapple_1024x1024@2x.jpg?v=1699961036

Out of all of the sauces bar one, this is the hottest cold. I found it to be even hotter than the Torchbearer sauces when you use it to make hot wings, it was pretty excruciating - in quite a dangerous way, in that the wings taste nice, and you don't notice how hot your mouth is until you're long past the point of no return. It's probably not one I'd buy again; not because of the heat, but it wasn't really to my taste. I've come to realise that I don't really like pineapple in hot sauce, but if you do, and you are OK with having your mouth murdered, you'll probably like this. 

Trodden Black - Melon, Lime and Jalapeno

TroddenBlack-MelonJalapenoHotSauce_1024x1024@2x.gif?v=1700521026

Not for me, unfortunately. I'm not a fan of melon; but I was convinced to buy this by the great taste award. I'd hoped the lime and jalapeño would offset the melon taste, but it doesn't. If you like melon, and you like the idea of a melon hot sauce, you'll absolutely adore this. This is a personal taste thing, and not anything to do with the quality of the sauce. I mention it, as there are almost certainly people on this board who will really like this. Heck, a friend of mine really, really loved this - it's not a bad sauce, it just isn't for me. 

@RedRooster Based on your reviews, I bought some of the Leithal Hot sauces for my husband and brother for Christmas. I got them The Ocean Terminator and The Swanny Bomb. Not tried the later yet but The Ocean Terminator is lovely. I didn't really find it hot at all to be honest but it has a lovely flavour and has become a permanent fixture in cheese toasties from now on so thanks.

40 minutes ago, deathrey said:

@RedRooster Based on your reviews, I bought some of the Leithal Hot sauces for my husband and brother for Christmas. I got them The Ocean Terminator and The Swanny Bomb. Not tried the later yet but The Ocean Terminator is lovely. I didn't really find it hot at all to be honest but it has a lovely flavour and has become a permanent fixture in cheese toasties from now on so thanks.

Glad to hear it! They're absolutely fantastic, a real cut above most other hot sauces, I think.