Rey_Piste

On 10/23/2023 at 1:27 PM, SuperBacon said:

While not a garden centre, there is a farm shop in my village and among all the fruit and veg and meat they sell those cream cheese filled peppers in a little tub. You probably get about 5 for around a fiver and are absolutely too dear, but will I buy some every time I go in? Yes Garth. 

Back on my bullshit.

spacer.png

spacer.png

Genuinely cannot think of many more things I enjoy than these. Godly.

Not necessarily snacks, but I've acquired a taste for hot sauces recently. At the risk of the most boring post ever, here were some of the highlights...

Untitleddesign.png?v=1669201641&width=1445

Leithal Hot Sauce (six pack for £28) 

Heat rating: Marina Shafir heat to peak Dominik Mysterio (or, I barely reacted to it to HOLY FUCK THIS IS INTENSE) 

These - from a company based in Leith (hence the name) - are godly. I used them to dip carrot sticks, apples and chicken into and all tasted great. The Ocean Terminator (Mango, Pineapple and Scotch Bonnet) was so tasty I immediately bought another two bottles - fruity, a kick to it; yet not overly hot. It's easily the nicest hot sauce I've ever tasted. The Lothiathan Thai Inspired sauce has a bit more of a kick to it, but it's really good with the lemongrass, lime and ginger flavours really making it sing. That left me feeling brave enough to try the Game Over hot sauce, containing three of the four hottest chillis in the world. As a dip, it wasn't too bad. Definitely hotter, but I could see why people would enjoy the flavour if it wasn't for me. I then made the mistake of licking the remaining sauce off my plate (yes, I know - disgusting) and fuck me, that was a mistake. The burn was almost immediate, it was intense and it built and built. It was a searing heat. It was one of the hottest things I've eaten, and it lasted for 20-fucking minutes. Then, later that day after I thought it was all said and done, it reared its head again. Or rather, it headed to my rear. Ouch. 

I've used it as a dip subsequently, and added it to stir fries, but yeah - maybe be careful about this one. 

devils-blend-roasted-reaper-hot-sauce-short-dated.jpg

Devil's Blend: Roasted Reaper sauce (£6)

Heat rating: MJF heat (hot, but perhaps not as hot as you might think it should be)

This contains green Carolina Reapers, which presumably are younger so not quite as hot as their red counterparts. I was a little scared of this one - apparently it's a Hot One's sauce - but I needn't have bean. It's hot, but not too hot and it's pretty tasty. If you're not good with spicy food, maybe approach with caution, but I thought it was fine.

HH-PINE-1.jpg 

Hot Headz - Pineapple hot sauce (£4.99)

Heat rating: Komander heat (promises big things, but fails to impress)

Genuinely, I barely remember this one. It promises big burns, but I don't remember feeling even slightly bothered by it. What I do remember was that the taste was pretty disappointing. I tried it again before writing this post, and I've forgotten it already. I wouldn't recommend this one. 

Edited by RedRooster

Sure I've posted these before but these two are my favourite. 

spacer.png

spacer.png

A dollop of the scotch bonnet one gets added to most dishes these days and is lovely in a chilli or when I do spiced mince and potatoes.

The salsa one is a bit evil but on some cheese and crackers? Wonderful.

Also has a hilarious warning. 

spacer.png

Jokes on them. I'm not a child.

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/21/2023 at 6:08 PM, SuperBacon said:

spacer.png

A dollop of the scotch bonnet one gets added to most dishes these days and is lovely in a chilli or when I do spiced mince and potatoes.

The salsa one is a bit evil but on some cheese and crackers? Wonderful.

I gave this one a go after seeing it in my local chilli and spice shop, and fuck me it's lovely. Cheers for the recommendation! 

• 3 weeks later...

This is one of the hottest things I've ever eaten and I'm convinced my ex bought it for me because she hates me.

spacer.png

They say put a put in a curry (yes this would be enjoyable) or "enjoy as a condiment" Really??? 

I had the tiniest bit on a cracker and was in pain all night, had to get up for a stomach ache induced poo at 4am as I was still in pain and my arse is now on fire after another morning one. I also ate 4 yoghurts straight after the cracker and that barely helped.

This has 5 chill symbols on the back and unlike Ned Flanders, they ain't lying.

Company is based in Portsmouth and only something this evil could come from there. 10/10 obviously. 

And a fun read for fellow noodle lovers here: https://www.theguardian.com/global-development/2023/dec/28/how-instant-noodles-took-over-the-world-salt

Maggi noodles are so popular in India that Maggi has essentially become the name for noodles. I remember visiting when I was a teen and my cousin asking me if I wanted 'a bowl of Maggi'. I was completely unaware of the brand and very confused at his description until he showed me the packet and then I knew instantly (I thought 'ahh Bachelor's super noodles but Indian').

• Paid Members
2 hours ago, SuperBacon said:

This is one of the hottest things I've ever eaten and I'm convinced my ex bought it for me because she hates me.

spacer.png

I also ate 4 yoghurts straight after the cracker and that barely helped.

I only found out recently that having alkaline things like yoghurt and milk are more likely to make it worse - capsicum is an alkali as well, not an acid, so if you want to neutralise chilli heat, it's best to have something like lime or lemon or orange juice.

Try Morrisons Hellfire sausages. They are hotter than a 3-way between Anna Jay, Julia Hart and Alexa Bliss! 

My wife likes hot sausages, but these were next level and she couldn't finish one. Naga Ghost, Carolina Reaper and Trinidad Scorpion are the chilli's used....fucking hell they were hot! 

54 minutes ago, Carbomb said:

I only found out recently that having alkaline things like yoghurt and milk are more likely to make it worse - capsicum is an alkali as well, not an acid, so if you want to neutralise chilli heat, it's best to have something like lime or lemon or orange juice.

Good to know now, but let's be honest your first thought when your mouth is on fire isn't "let's munch a lemon" :)

• Paid Members
29 minutes ago, SuperBacon said:

Good to know now, but let's be honest your first thought when your mouth is on fire isn't "let's munch a lemon" :)

Only reason why I ever got any clue was back when I saw Gordon Ramsay's Hot Ones interview. He'd brought this sports bag with him, and as the episode went on, he first took out Pepto Bismol and drank it, then started slicing limes and sucking on them.

He still crashed and burned, but I think that's more down to him having a chef's sensitive palate than his countermeasures being ineffectual.