Rey_Piste

• 3 weeks later...
  • Paid Members
On 9/10/2023 at 10:26 PM, air_raid said:

Went to Poundland yesterday so we could grab some - of course honey mustard had already been wiped out. They had jalapeño and garlic bread flavours. Mrs raid didn’t quite register what I meant by “my last chance to buy these” … we bought one pack of each.

Joyous news. I intended to next post my adventures with puffings in Poland but this can’t wait. Home Bargains had plenty of Honey Mustard and of Jalopeno AND Poundland had a restock. Mrs raid felt generous and grabbed 8 bags of Honey Mustard and 8 of Garlic Bread… plus 1 more Jalopeno for me because she doesn’t like them. (Spoilers for a post to crisps thread, if I’m allowed to) ;

IMG_2166.thumb.jpeg.7de56ab2717caf3d4a135ab6deee809f.jpegIMG_2168.thumb.jpeg.03048509b91d6bef2880ad69e197d80b.jpegIMG_2167.thumb.jpeg.8842d57ab9a88041b63860994fbe1d7c.jpeg

Also picked up these, an intriguing flavour of what we cane from the Polish shop where they’re called “Paluzki” (literally “fingers”)

IMG_2170.thumb.jpeg.336b98cd7c7bea5a35e580cbf02d9782.jpeg

Plus grabbed a few nuts n tings from Tesco towards the Christmas pantry and while the pigs in blankets balls aren’t out yet, couldn’t resist these puffings ;

IMG_2169.thumb.jpeg.3a890dd4bad10c8a8120463bb646364e.jpeg

It was a big day.

IMG_2172.thumb.jpeg.f9b9339b0bdbdf11d4a17b75bc03dcec.jpeg

• 2 weeks later...
  • Paid Members
On 9/4/2023 at 7:02 AM, air_raid said:

Those new KP flavours ("flavour kravers", ugh) are worth it now they’re £1.75 with a Tesco club card instead of £3.

Just tried the new Katsu Curry and Aromatic Thai Chilli crispy coated varieties despite Mrs raid trying to tell me Thai would be too spicy. The katsu were a nice flavour if not especially "katsu" to me rather than generic "curry", that I could tell. The Thai ones had a pleasant kick in a sweet and spicy manner. Weirdly Mrs raid said she like the katsu ones but there was "no taste" to the Thai ones so.... I dont know. Worth a try at £1.50.

On 10/7/2023 at 1:34 PM, air_raid said:

IMG_2169.thumb.jpeg.3a890dd4bad10c8a8120463bb646364e.jpeg

These were pretty nice but the bar is pretty high - they left me wishing I had Flamin Hot or Prawn Cocktail Giant Wotsits instead.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Paid Members

As you may have gathered, I’m fond of crispy coated nuts. Tried a bag of these, hoping the flavour would be the same as they use on the Paluzki (pretzel sticks) of the same flavour;

IMG_2454.webp.4e56eb7a438765f681cb3b5f0975f95f.webp

….. it was. Good crunch too. Superb and definitely worth a walk to your nearest Polish shop if you like both crispy nuts and cheese n onion.

• Paid Members

I used to get these Wasabi nuts from a market stall that sold various savoury and dried fruit snacks. The Wasabi nuts were green in colour and looked like flying saucers. Crispy coating with a peanut in the middle. They would cause an explosion in my nasal cavity. Most people hated them and couldn't understand why I liked them. Their loss. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • Paid Members
On 10/28/2023 at 5:15 PM, air_raid said:

As you may have gathered, I’m fond of crispy coated nuts.

Sainsburys have a prawn cocktail flavour amongst their Christmas offering. Not entirely sure what's festive about them apart from their bag - do people still have prawn cocktail for a starter for Christmas? Or indeed, a starter at all? - but if you like prawn cocktail and you like crispy nuts, you'll definitely like them.

• Paid Members
19 minutes ago, air_raid said:

Sainsburys have a prawn cocktail flavour amongst their Christmas offering. Not entirely sure what's festive about them apart from their bag - do people still have prawn cocktail for a starter for Christmas? Or indeed, a starter at all? - but if you like prawn cocktail and you like crispy nuts, you'll definitely like them.

We do. Traditionally, we have a choice of prawn cocktail or home-made mushroom soup.

• Paid Members
1 minute ago, Carbomb said:

We do. Traditionally, we have a choice of prawn cocktail or home-made mushroom soup.

…. ((unsure if this is accidental redundancy or intentional trying to sound like a menu)) ….. 

…. I actually associate mushroom soup far more with Christmas than prawn cocktail. Technically many years ago mama raid did a prawn cocktail starter once for Christmas Day then decided it was too much faff and everyone wanted more room for poultry, pig and potatoes anyway. Far more recently Mrs raid made mushroom soup as part of making whatever she wants literally every day bar 25th from about 20th to New Year - fish, dumplings, salad, whatever - and it’s one of the best things I’ve eaten.

Wouldn’t slap a Christmas bag on mushroom crisps mind.

• Paid Members
9 minutes ago, air_raid said:

…. ((unsure if this is accidental redundancy or intentional trying to sound like a menu)) ….. 

Just didn't want to give the impression it was out of a can.

9 minutes ago, air_raid said:

…. I actually associate mushroom soup far more with Christmas than prawn cocktail. Technically many years ago mama raid did a prawn cocktail starter once for Christmas Day then decided it was too much faff and everyone wanted more room for poultry, pig and potatoes anyway. Far more recently Mrs raid made mushroom soup as part of making whatever she wants literally every day bar 25th from about 20th to New Year - fish, dumplings, salad, whatever - and it’s one of the best things I’ve eaten.

A good mushroom soup is one of the best things you can make in the kitchen, because it's simple, but really tasty. Some of the local shops have sections for imported Italian goods, and I found porcini stock cubes - absolute game changer, not just for mushroom soup either.

I'm alright with prawn cocktail; was particularly intrigued by Heston Blumenthal making Marie Rose sauce with vanilla pods. But it's not my first choice.

35 minutes ago, air_raid said:

My other half has extended family in the States, so because I'm hilarious and a delight to live with, I regularly tease her that she's American rather than from Rugby, but this did mean I ended up doing some Thanksgiving-style roast dinners with my go at American sides. Green bean casserole is now a regular at Christmas - it's basically runner beans baked in mushroom soup with cheese and onions on top, so dead easy and great with your drier bits of turkey.