Where's Rodney?

Gus Mears

• Paid Members
17 minutes ago, Astro Hollywood said:

Anyone seen Brassic on Sky? I love Joe Gilgun (who created and leads in it), but it's really disappointing. There's a huge Lock, Stock feel to it too, in some weird hybrid of that, Trainspotting, and Last of the Summer Wine. It's getting great reviews though, so maybe it's just me. It really feels like something from a different era, and not in a good way, playing really broad where people are throwing dildos at each other, but trying to balance it with serious bits where characters are crying. There's probably a Shane Meadows influence there, because that's right in his wheelhouse, and Gilgun obviously did the This is Englands.

I thought Brassic was alright, but you could see stuff coming a mile away. And they basically nicked something from Shameless in the finale. 

Anyone see the Mike Basset sitcom that came out a few years after the film? He was managing Wirral County in the show after being sacked from England. It was absolute shite as you can imagine. 

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, Lion_of_the_Midlands said:

This could go in the stupid things you say or do thread, but as it's from a sitcom I'll leave it here. 

I've just googled the phrase "Just the one Mrs Wembley" as it is something we say regularly when having a drink but I could not remember for the life of me where it came from. To my surprise it comes from a sitcom called On The Up, which starred Dennis Waterman, I imagine he also sang the theme tune. 

I remember absolutely nothing of this programme. Google tells me that Joan Simms played Mrs Wembley, but I didn't remember that. There are some episodes on YouTube, and it takes very little imagination to see me watching some later. Does anyone remember anything about it?

I'm glad someone else on the planet remembers this, because I nominated the theme song (which was, of course, sung by Dennis Watermam) for a worst theme songs thread a while ago to zero reaction. A fake whistling sound effect on the keyboard and lyrics like:  "I'm the bit of rough, she wanneda lay, but now she's gawn away to stay". Dreadful. 

• Paid Members

Anyone remember Every Silver Lining? Frances De La Tour and Andrew Sachs running a cafe, it was very forgettable. The only episode I remember is Andrew Sachs' character being about to join the Freemasons, and the cafe's Jewish waiter, also the owner's friend, getting upset because it reminded him of how, during his childhood in Germany, the Nazis came and brainwashed his childhood friend into hating him. A poignant bit, to be fair, but when that's the only memorable bit of a comedy series, it can't have been all that funny.

• Moderators
3 hours ago, Astro Hollywood said:

I've been meaning to take a look at Game On, which was super, super laddy, and I imagine has aged worse than anything.

Ben Chaplin saves series 1 of Game On single handedly. He's absolutely fucking brilliant in it even watching it now. Then Hollywood comes a-caliing, Chaplin answers, and enter Neil Stuke. Then the rot sets in. It's fucking shocking from that point.

• Paid Members

I don't think it's that bad after Neil Stuke joins. It's not nearly as good, but Martin is still a great character, and liked the stuff with Archie and Samantha Janus in series 3. I've seen this show far more than anyone should. 

• Moderators

I have an autographed photo of Matthew Cottle somewhere.

Yeah, Martin statyed great. I just really couldn't take to Neil Stuke as Matthew. Probably as there was more pathos as Ben Chaplin as this  stuopidly handsome cool figue deiung with his agoraphobia than Neil Stuke who was a bit ginger   yet still pilloried MArtin for it.

Although Stuke had have the super "There's Weather!" line so YMMV,.

EDIT:Excuse my typing but I can't find the Ins button on my laptop and it's doing thgat thing where it deletes everything you type when you try and correct.

Edited by PowerButchi

• Awards Moderator
On 8/27/2019 at 3:43 AM, PowerButchi said:

Chucklevision is massively underrated. The epsiode where Paul and Barry do a 10k and Paul fucks Barry off then something happens to Paul (can't remember what) and Barry runs doing a poem in his inner monologue including "like a budgie needs its bell" to save Paul is fucking ace. 

Chucklevison is something ive Chucklevisited recently when I've my nephew and its really, really bloody funny. 

Chucklevision has just been voted the top CBBC show ever.

• Paid Members

Ben Chaplin looked insanely cool in Game On. The first episode of Mad Dogs is worth watching just to quench that 'original Matthew Malone' thirst as he's almost playing the same character.

I still liked the second Matthew, but the original was far better.

Hyperdrive was a show I'd forgotten about until now. Had some great comedy actors in it - Kevin Eldon, Dan Antopolinski, Sally Phillips, Sarah Solemani, Stephen Mangan - and Miranda Hart was in it too. Shame it was worse than series 7 of Red Dwarf.

I'd also stick in My Hero into the same category as My Family. Prime time BBC1 sitcom that somehow kept on going and going despite not knowing a single person or liked or watched it. 

• Paid Members

Stuff like Birds of a Feather or was pretty shit, but I would sit and suffer it because I was glued to the TV all the time until I was 16 and started going out getting drunk instead. Some stuff though, I would have rather stared at the wall. I could never stomach Last of the Summer Wine or The Upper Hand, but the worst show I can remember is Barbara, which ran 3 series and 29 mirthless episodes apparently. It starred Gwen Taylor as a total cunt and Sam Kelly as her hen pecked husband. Just miserable stuff.