Where's Rodney?

Gus Mears

1 hour ago, Astro Hollywood said:

It is massively depressing, but - and this might just be my blighted imagination - I feel like any Thatcher-era sitcom that wasn't about the middle classes looked like that. Wasn't Del Boy's flat similarly grim? I think OFCOM came for your head if you didn't demonstrate someone was poor via the iconography of a graffifi stained piss-lift. Even the kids drama/comedy shows were at it.

It's almost a shame it has such a fantastic theme tune, like it's literally the only thing making it worthy of any remembrance. Wish Channel 4 would launch a channel just showing what they had on that day say 30 years ago. I'd never leave the house if channels did that.

• Moderators
7 minutes ago, Chili said:

It's almost a shame it has such a fantastic theme tune, like it's literally the only thing making it worthy of any remembrance. Wish Channel 4 would launch a channel just showing what they had on that day say 30 years ago. I'd never leave the house if channels did that.

They can't even get a streaming site that works properly. Tons of great old content on All4. None of it watchable.

• Paid Members
3 hours ago, gmoney said:

I was thinking about the Only Fools... flat as I typed that, and I think the difference was that it while it was a bit grim, it was also colourful and clean. I don't remember the Trotters living in grey filth. 

The Trotter's flat wasn't grey filth (although I think there was a bit of damp in the corners), but the corridors and lifts looked like they were modelled on the 1980s era New York subway.

1 minute ago, Nostalgia Nonce said:

The Trotter's flat wasn't grey filth (although I think there was a bit of damp in the corners), but the corridors and lifts looked like they were modelled on the 1980s era New York subway.

Yeah Nelson Mandela House is meant to look like a sty in its communal corridors, loads of places still look wretched like that. I always though their flat was meant to be bang average a bit under the line of decent, but filled with so much random tat to make it look a bit more claustrophobic and squalid.

• Paid Members

Did we see the lift and graffiti etc early on? I mainly remember it in one of the last specials - the one where Del breaks the lift to force Rodney to talk about his depression following Cassandra's miscarriage. That was a particularly brilliant bit of writing and production, as it made the point of what a shitty place they live in the episode before they make their fortune.

• Paid Members
13 hours ago, Astro Hollywood said:

As you lot seemed to tolerate my write-ups of shite shitcoms, here's a video essay I did about the abhorrent Channel 4 80's show Dream Stuffing.

I must admit, towards the end, I was getting more and more disappointed at the lack of the word "willy" from you, but you pulled it out in the last few minutes.

Great work, as always - I'd never heard of this, and I'm glad the only way I did was through your evisceration of it.

It's also answered a question for me: back when IPW:UK first started, they had a wrestler called Flaming Red, working a ginger chav gimmick. His entrance theme was that OFAH rap, and I'd never heard it before, so I wondered where he got it from.